HDMI CEC

Trev

The Dumb One
Does the 1000S have this and If so what is it called. My mate has a 100S and can,t find it.

Does the 1000S have this and If so what is it called. My mate has a 100S and can,t find it.
Our 1010S has some CEC functions.
Turning the box on eventually turns the TV on and turning the TV off press the box back to standby.
I've not noticed or attempted to find any others and I don't recall any settings for it in the box menu - I'd have turned it off if I had 'cos it's quite annoying.

The question might have been a bit ambiguous (but I cant see how) But I'll clarify.
My mate has a 1000S and he has to jump through all sorts of switch on/off routines to get the 1000S to output video that displays on the TV. I have suggested to him that it is CEC that's screwing things up.
He has tried switching CEC on and Off at the TV but it makes no difference. With the 1000S up and running with a blue light (the only situation that it will output on the HDMI), if he then switches the TV on, the blue light on the 1000S goes off ad so he gets no picture from it.
I suspect a CEC malfunction so suggested he switches CEC off on both the TV A ND the 1000S. But he cannot find a setting on the 1000S for CEC control.
There is the background, so
In the settings as 'we' don't know
a. If there is a CEC control on the 1000S, or
b. If there is, what is it called as there re so many different names for the same thing.

I am self isolating so can't pop round to sort him out and he isn't very good at explaining things.

It sounds as though his TV remote 'on' button/signal is being read by the 1000S as an 'off'.
Or could it just be an HDMI handshake issue?

When I have it running later I'll have a poke around our 1010S menus to see if there are any clues in there.

The question might have been a bit ambiguous (but I cant see how)
It definitely was. You gave no indication your mate wants to turn it off, I read it that he wants to turn it on.

My mate has a 1000S and he has to jump through all sorts of switch on/off routines to get the 1000S to output video that displays on the TV. I have suggested to him that it is CEC that's screwing things up.
Shame you didn't say so in the OP.

I had an LG TV with an LG Blu-ray, and nothing I tried would stop the Blu-ray turning on every time I turned on the TV - even without the HDMI connected. The way to diagnose whether it's a CEC issue or something else is simply to try it without the HDMI connected.

If it still does it, try a different code set in the remote control (if available).

If there is a CEC control on the 1000S
I presume you mean "is". The answer is "probably not", CEC control is usually handled at the TV end.

I can't see anything that has anything to do with CEC or any other name that might cover it.
Thanks Mike, that confirms what my mate thinks.
It sounds as though his TV remote 'on' button/signal is being read by the 1000S as an 'off'.
Or could it just be an HDMI handshake issue?
I'll put forward the suggestion of the 1000S reading TV on as 1000S off, Oy is it a toggle function.
HDMI handshake was what I suspected, he can turn CEC off at the TV but the 1000S still seems to respond which is why I wanted to turn it off at the box.
The more I think about it now, the more I like the TV ON = Box OFF line of thought.

Has he tried looking under his TV? That's where people generally leave AV equipment.
I don't know about that. Weren't the first non-recording boxes known as set-top boxes. Maybe he needs to look higher. (Unlikely as TVs are less than 2" deep)

Back on topic. Spoke to my mate again tonight and the box was outputting video to the TV with the red light on the box. Does yours work with the red light on Mike?

Back on topic. Spoke to my mate again tonight and the box was outputting video to the TV with the red light on the box. Does yours work with the red light on Mike?
OK. This could be a difference from 1000 to 1010.
On ours there is a red light in the middle of the 'power' button. This is on when the box is in standby and goes off when it is active ... ie. not in standby. (Yes, really - I just checked.) (Don't know about recording in standby.)
There are no other lights, just the green display which does various things that I've never taken much notice of - it shows the channel it's on or title of what's being played is all I'm familiar with, though it does have other little icons a la FOX (ooh la la :) ).
(There is also a green light on the power brick which is always on ... unless the mains is off.)

I'm not certain BH. I suggested that last night, but he hasn't reported back yet.
Trying to get an explanation from him is almost impossible, and as I haven't even seen a 1000S I havent a clue what he is talking about when he refers to the red and blue lights. Ok I'll have to google for the manual. That may give me a clue.
All I have been able to establish for certain (up until last night) we that if "the blue" light was on it worked, and if the light was red, it didn't.
But last night it was fully working with picture/EPG on the TV when the red light was ON.
I give in!

Back