HDMI failure

Daveyuk

My Humax's HDMI output has failed. The tuner still works, I can see an HD-type screen, ie with small subtitles, using the SDSCART and AV outputs. This was no problem, but now I have changed my TV set, and the new one no SCART output, so I need to us an AV input, so I really woukd like the dead HDMI output back. Is this a known issue, is it easy to fix (replace), etc? I am ok with a soldering iron.
Any help welcome.
Davey.

I suppose you did try replacing the HDMI cable?

Is this a known issue, is it easy to fix (replace), etc? I am ok with a soldering iron.
"Issue" implies HDMI outputs fail regularly. I've seen some, but I wouldn't say regularly. You've not given much to go on (eg what happens on the TV screen... is it just plain black?), but repair is going to be limited to whether you can find a broken solder joint somewhere. Good luck:
Getting this problem too and also periodic picture black-outs and sound drop. Given that reseating the cable works and, for a while, holding the cable at a slight angle (wedging something against it) works I suspect a bad solder joint on the HDMI connector inside the Humax. I'm going to take mine apart and see if I can just warm over the joints but as a workaround...

There could be a hardware fix, in the form of checking and repairing any broken solder joints or PCB tracks between the SoC and the HDMI socket, but other than that it's a fault in the SoC and junk (a source of spare parts).
Thanks BH. Checked everything you mentioned so I'll delve inside to look at solder joints.

The bottom line is that it would be a lot simpler just to get another HDR-FOX off FleaBay.

I tried changing the cable, for several different ones, all known good. It's the HDMI module.
If I rmember, and this was a year or more ago, the TV just showed a blank screen, as though nothing was coming out of the module.

Back