HDMI (flashing video) issues solved

papadeltasierra

For a long time I've had issues with my Fox-HDR T2 video flashing during play (does not affect the SCART video). I've managed to solve this by adding one of these:
I now have the Humax connected an in input using the shorted HDMI cable I could get then the extractor plugged into the TV.
My guess is that either the Humax HDMI output is failing (I have replaced ALL capacitors on the power supply - no improvement) or it is somehow trying to negotiate with the TV and that fails somehow. This box either (or both!) boosts the signal and/or changes the HDMI handshake sufficient that no drop-outs occur.
I have no connection to the manufacturer but I have tried a similar device from another manufacturer and it didn't solve the video issue so "all HDMI extractors are not created equal".

I take it these are green-screen flashes?

It's the HDCP negotiation failing. An active splitter takes over the HDCP negotiation and then sends the stripped HDMI to the TV, so if anything it's the TV which is failing the negotiation.

Might be on some TVs. On my TV I lose all picture and sound for a moment. Use to work fine on my older Panasonic TV but the new one (also a Panasonic) started doing this a little while ago, perhaps after a firmware update? Sadly I don't have anything that can show me the HDMI negotiation, although you have made me wonder... The extractor does have a serial port on the motherboard so I might try hooking that up and seeing what comes out. There is a "pass through EDID" mode which I would guess might show the issue if the HDCP negotiation is just passed through and perhaps the serial port might allow me to access some helpful diags or logs. If I can get anything out, I will report back.

Might be on some TVs. On my TV I lose all picture and sound for a moment.
OK, I misunderstood. It goes green if the negotiation fails, but in your case it sounds like an intermittent loss of sync which then triggers a renegotiation. A recent report of something similar was cured by replacing the HDMI lead (IIRC).

No problem - I have tried a couple of different leads, including leads that are working fine with other devices (PS3 etc...) but that didn't help. That is what made me wonder if there was some component failing that meant that the Humax's HDMI output was "weak" but there is nothing obvious on the motherboards and I have replaced all the power board capacitors in case any of them were failing. Does seem HDMI specific though as the SCART has no such issues. However with the extractor I do also have the shorted lead possible from Humax to extractor so maybe that's enough for there to be no voltage drop of significance before it reaches the extractor, where where it gets boosted onwards to the TV.

Back