HDMI Handshake failing - is the unit on the way out?

Rossorichie

Hi - I hope some clear thinking individuals can help me come to a conclusion. I've had a stock HDR-Fox T2 unit for a long time now (> 5years??) - it is connected to a Denon AVR-2310 by a standard non fancy HDMI cable and then the output is displayed on a Panasonic TX-P42G20B TV. Its always been slightly problematic and operation depends upon the order of power on. Its now coming to a state where its very very annoying - on power on the Denon connects fine (I can see the Denon logo) on the TV display and if I connect to my DVD player instead of the Hummy all is well. However on powering up the Hummy I see the power up sequence - the display characteristics are shown in the top left hand side of the screen and then output appears to be dropped. I've tried a non-CEC adapter on the HDMI cable thinking that perhaps the Panasonic Veira link was causing the problem but its made no difference. If I unplug then plug back the HDMI cable at the Hummy end I get synchronisation and all is well until I put the Hummy into standby - then I have to repeat the gymastics - sometimes reselecting the Hummy on the Denon will cause it to sync properly but not always. Is the Hummy's HDMI electronics shot? Can it be economically repaired, does it require reflashing/reloading of the firmware or is a new unit required?
Any help would be appreciated as this is causing domestic mayhem :)

It's probably worth trying a Factory Default with :- Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> password = 0000 >> Factory Default >> DO-NOT select Format HDD. Please note that you will have to re-enter all settings, favorites and recording schedules (although programmes already recorded will not be removed), so some preparation is recommended before you do this to note down settings and other user selections

Why have you embedded your own emoticon graphic instead of using the standard forum emoticon set (see smiley face in the post toolbar)?
Thanks I'll give it a go and report back
- see, it doesn't work for me!

See also Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click)

With regard to your problem, before jumping through factory reset hoops, I suggest trying to isolate where the problem actually is. Connect the HDMI from the HDR-FOX directly to a TV (not a smart TV with CEC if possible, or turn off such things in the TV settings). See how you get on then.

Once you are sure the Humax is likely to blame, try a factory reset, and check your firmware is up to date. Note however that the HDMI interface does seem to be one of the more troublesome aspects of HDR-FOX (and Humax PVR in general) ownership.

Last edited:
It's no big deal, you can use whatever emoticon you like, it seemed to me that you have already proved the Humax was the problem in # 1, as you used a standard emoticon in #1, I'm also guessing you were already aware of the 'post toolbar'

Many thanks for the suggestions - a factory reset has sorted it out - phew! - should have thought this out myself but it was a case of "wood and trees". We have suffered a number of powercuts as all the power is via overhead lines - it maybe that one of these caused the problem - I'll put in an anti-surge strip to try to take some of the sting out of future events - any other suggestions will be welcome - I use small domestic UPS's on the PCs but these require some programmable interface in order to shut down the device in a controlled manner.

The emoji code I posted (copied from the OP's post) shows up, even in my post, on the iPad but not on the PC. It is not a good idea to use platform-specific graphics (such as these) because not everyone's browser will support them and therefore the message conveyed may be misrepresented.

Emoji keyboards are all very well, but you have to understand their limitations and appropriate circumstances for use. Saying posters can use whatever they like is clearly a statement of fact, but falls short of best advice.

Rossorichie : I'm glad it's sorted, the 'Factory Default' does get over used by Humax and I'm not sure anyone can fully explain why it sorts out certain tuner / HDMI problems but it does seem to

The emoji code I posted (copied from the OP's post) shows up, even in my post, on the iPad but not on the PC. It is not a good idea to use platform-specific graphics (such as these) because not everyone's browser will support them and therefore the message conveyed may be misrepresented.

Emoji keyboards are all very well, but you have to understand their limitations and appropriate circumstances for use. Saying posters can use whatever they like is clearly a statement of fact, but falls short of best advice.
That emoji code works okay on my PC using Firefox, and Chrome browsers.

If anyone would like to see additional smilies added to the forum, please feel free to request them in THIS THREAD.

Unfortunately after a reboot the HDMI issue has returned. Physically plugging out then plugging in the HDMI cable puts it back online. As it has worked fine in the past so I'm being to believe the hummy is failing - any ideas are welcome ! And any recommendations for a replacement !

Hopefully a new cable will sort this out - however this problem has raised for me the issue of what I need to do about backups (I've read the threads) and what to do about a replacement which seems to be more difficult that I initially thought. Ideally I would like to have more tuners but FVP seems to have a very mixed set of reviews. A home brew solution looks expensive but possible as I could locate it remotely as the TV is networked. I will follow the thread with interest.

I have now tested the cable - all good - taken Black. Holes advice and connected directly to the TV bypassing the Denon - no improvement other than a nice shade of green on the screen - the system displays if I unplug and then rep lug the HDMI cable in. It seems that the cable connection pin in the HDMI cable forces the interface into normal mode whilst the ordinary switch on process doesn't do this. Very frustrating - would changing the firmware to custom rectify the situation?

Update
Switched off the power saving feature and the HDMI signal came back so the unit is now working but obviously something has gone amiss. I've purchased a Humax youview model as an secondary unit so I've now got 4 tuners (whoppee! ) but on two boxes - if the T2 fails again I'll take a look at the circuit board to see if any caps have failed.

Last edited:
That emoji code works okay on my PC using Firefox, and Chrome browsers.

And on my PC using internet explorer. The plot thickens - your not using "edge" are you blackhole??

As for the actual topic. I'm more surprised that the OP has gone 5years without any HDMI handshaking issues! I think that its one area that the HDR-fox T2 does struggle with more than other HDMI equipment in my experience. I wouldn't take the fact you suddenly having issues to mean that your box is "on the way out".

I find that handshaking issues come and go with the fox t2 and my Samsung tv. Currently mine is in a phase where if I select the fox t2 input when the fox is already on then no picture will show - I have to (soft) power cycle my Fox to get the picture back. Next week it will be fine and then in a couple of months it will be slightly different (maybe only working correctly if the TV is switched on before the Fox for example...)

I've given up trying to find causes - just ride out each storm :)

A possible cause for mine seems to be is I add a new device into the mix. I had more issues when I was using my PS4 more then zero issues after I sold it and now slightly different issues now I have been using my chromecast and roku more. Have you recently added something new?

Of course it could all be down to £1 HDMI cables...

Bottom line is that I wouldn't be cracking it open to check for any failed caps :)

p.s. hope my old school "typed" smiley is ok? :)

And on my PC using internet explorer. The plot thickens - your not using "edge" are you blackhole??
No, not Edge - Chrome on Win7 is my standard, but I can't pin down the problem now (and I'm using the iPad for this). The point was not whether any or all browsers support the display of emojis - the point was that the forum has a standard system of emoticons and it's best to use them rather than anything else because there is no guarantee emojis are universal.

Back