HDMI / HDCP problems - helped by a cold boot?

TonyC

I'm one of the "unfortunate" HDR-FOXT2 users who regularly experiences HDCP problems. The symptom is that if the TV is switched on while the Fox is already on, no picture is shown - but restarting the Fox while the TV is left on always fixes it. (Yes, I know it's not the end of the world to have to do this, but it's irritating.)

I'd reported previously that swapping to a different HDMI input on the TV seemed to solve the problem, at least for a few weeks. But on the most recent occasion, this didn't help - perhaps I've already been through all the inputs once. I have also tried swapping the HDMI lead, but this made no difference.

So more in hope than expectation, a few days ago I pulled the plug* for the extension lead that feeds all my AV kit, thus forcing a "cold boot" of the Fox and the TV^ (and also the Blu-Ray player, not that I expect this is significant). Since then, it has behaved fine, no "no signal" messages at all even though the Fox is on more or less continuously but the TV is switched on and off many times a day.

Of course, this could be entirely coincidence, but it's one more thing for anybody with similar problems to try.

* After putting the Fox and TV into standby, of course

^ Samsung TV, in case that matters

(Previously posted in the wrong sub-forum but now moved by a kind moderator)

A full power-off cold start should always be one of the first ports of call. "Have you tried turning it off and on again" doesn't just mean standby.

Yes, quite so. And annoyingly I kind of knew that, just for some reason it never occurred to me it might help with HDCP issues.

6 months on, an update to this. I rearranged my AV equipment so I could get to the power switch at the back of the Humax, so next time this happened, I could do a "cold boot" without having to pull the extension lead for all the kit. And it didn't help - I still got the "no signal" error. I had to power off all the AV kit to solve it. So it seems likely that it was the TV, not the Humax, that needed the cold boot.

Back