HDMI output issue

Javi

Hi,
I've had an HDR-FOX T2 for over a couple of years and never had any issues with it... until a couple of weeks ago. Since then, from time to time the HDMI output fails and on my TV I only get a "No signal detected" or "Video format not supported". For the first few days, it used to last a few seconds, and then I got the picture back. Now, when it happens it doesn't recover, my only option is to switch out the box, wait a few seconds and switch it on again.
I'd like to mention too that it's only the HDMI output, the rest of the box is working fine: I've connected the composite output to the TV as well, and when I loose the picture on the HDMI output, if I switch to RCA I can see the pictures (albeit worst quality, of course).
I've tried with a different HDMI cable, and different HDMI inputs, with no luck. Other HDMI devices (BluRay player, etc) connected to the same TV (it's a Philips) work fine.
Anybody else has experienced this problem? I'm not running custom code, btw.

Doesn't sound good, you seem to have tried the usual things. Custom firmware would not affect this in any way. Are you up to date on the sandard firmware?

I'm running 1.02.28, the updates after that don't seem to change anything HDMI-related, but good point, I'll try updating to 1.02.32 before giving up.
It's a shame the warranty expired just a couple of months ago! :(

Is the Humax well ventilated? You could try making sure it is kept cool, or even open it up and give it a good dust out.

I have the same problem which only happens occasionally and has been there despite several firmware updates and also changing over to the Custom firmware. I have the Humax connected to a Sony Bravia TV.

The only thing that seems to help, although not completely, is to make sure that the TV has been switched to the HDMI input before powering up the Humax. When it fails then I find that only using the switch on the back of the Humax to restart it will fix the problem. This option is fine if you are not recording anything but obviously will interrupt any recordings in progress.

Are you referring to a failure to establish the HDMI link in the first place? That's not unusual for Sony. I think the OP means the HDMI fails in service.

I have the same problem. My HDR-FOX T2 is also over a couple of years old. The current configuration had been working fine for about a year. The problem first showed up a couple of months ago when the sound just disappeared while watching programs (live or recorded), and putting the HDR into standby and back on "fixed" the problem. The problem did not happen again for a over a week but then became more frequent and the picture also started to disappear. Sometimes going in and out of standby would not fix the problem and it required the mains power to be switched off/on. On a few occasions the HDR would not reboot after powering off and it was stuck in a boot loop (I could hear the hard drive spin up ok), but would boot after a few mains on/off cycles.

I have tried HDMI port and cable changes but to avail. All other HDMI devices work with the TV perfectly. I rummaged around in the loft and dug out a SCART cable and used this to connect the TV and HDR. When the sound/picture disappeared on the HDMI the Scart connection had sound and picture ok. I updated the firmware from V1.02.29 to V1.02.32, but no change to the problem.

The problem now happens every few days but sometimes the sound/picture comes back after a few minutes without any intervention. I was thinking it might be a temperature related problem (cold rather than hot as the problem seems to be much less frequent afther the box has been on for a couple of hours) but I am not so sure now. I have been toying with the idea pulling the HDR to bits to reseat all of the internal gubbings and connections (or chucking the damn thing in the bin).

I've now ruled out overheating. I have my STB out of the cabinet, sitting on top of it in a well ventilated room... and still failing

Back