HDMI to analogue TV

Harvard

I have dumped my Sky box for a Feesat Humax HDR 1100S.
This only has an HDMI connection direct to my Panasonic TV
I also have an older tv in another room with co ax cable which ends beside the new HDR.
(Sky could connect throught a SCART connection but Humax does not support this).
Is there any way to connect the HDMI Humax box to the older TV coax cables and still use the Humax box?
e.g a converter from HDMI to coax.

What you will need is an HDMI splitter such as one of THESE to be able to feed the TV and the modulator from the single HDMI socket on the box (unless the box has two sockets). You also need a TV RF modulator such as One of THESE. The 'other' set needs to have an analogue tuner and you need to set the channel number to one that is free from live transmissions. You can get digital modulators so they you can get digital HD at the 'other' TV, but the price is high See HERE
The only problem left is to be able to control the box from the 'other' TV location. This can be overcome fairly easily though. Ask about it here before you buy stuff so that 'we' can suggest how to do it.

Last edited:
Presumably by "co-ax" you mean just RF aerial cable?
You will need a modulator at least and presumably something to split the HDMI and convert it to whatever the modulator input is.
Seriously, if your telly is that old that it doesn't even have a SCART, then it's time to get rid and get a new one. You will spend half the cost of a new one in bits trying to make the old one work and it will waste lots of time and produce inferior picture quality.

Like wot I sed.
Seriously, if your telly is that old that it doesn't even have a SCART
It's the box that doesn't have a SCART. I suspect he was using the modulated RF output from his Sky box and perhaps Magic Eye control mechanism.

The OP may want to send the video around the house through an aerial distribution system. There are several alternatives (which have been discussed before, so I will summarise but I don't have spare time this minute to go hunting for the links):
  1. Use the analogue outputs from the 1100S to feed one remote TV directly (approx £15). This had been done successfully up to about 15m. The picture quality at the TV will only be "analogue", but better than option 2 (as long as the cable is decent quality).

2. Use the analogue outputs to feed into an analogue TV UHF modulator and then into the aerial system (approx £40). The picture quality will only be equivalent to steam 625-line pre-digital TV.

3. Use the HDMI output* to feed an HDMI-to-DVB modulator and then into the aerial system (approx £200 - these used to be hugely expensive, but the price is coming down). Picture quality will be the same as broadcast.

4. Use the HDMI output to feed an HDMI splitter/matrix switch and then send the HDMI around the house via extenders or Cat5 baluns as necessary (max length for a single "ordinary" HDMI link is 10m, can get away with 15m). Cost depends on complexity and number of end points, but probably less than £200. Picture quality will be the same as broadcast.
All these solutions suffer from an inability to control the 1100S from the remote TV location. A wireless AV extender (don't use for video transmission - it's crap) can be used to supply an IR remote control signal "back channel". HDMI to Cat5 converters sometimes also supply an IR back-channel.

If you have any TVs without HDMI inputs... scrap them!

I think the OP wants the simple answer that will 'replace' his old Sky Box facilities (although he wasn't particularly clear about it) BH. Notwithstanding that, mentioning all the options is a good thing.
And what's wrong with an 'old TV with no HDMI' when all you want to watch is the SD output from a Sky box, or in this case his new box?:frantic:
Not everybody is a rich as you and thus able to go scrapping perfectly serviceable sets as long as they do what you want them to do.:roflmao: (even if it is badly)

Back