HDR 1100S upsetting my Mutant

Before you all start shouting "Boo Traitor" I'll apologise in advance, but the Enigma Machine is not a replacement for our Humax it's a replacement for Sky.

I don't like the things I've read about the Arris Freesat Box, so I bought a Mutant HD51 Enigma 2 box with 1TB hard drive. I like the fact that you have hundreds of configuration options, you can really make these boxes your own.

My problem is that the Humax doesn't get on with the Mutant, when they are both connected to the 4 standard ports on my Sky Hybrid LNB the Mutant looses loads of channels (including the one that sends the data to the EPG).

If I remove the cable from input 2 on the Humax all is OK on the Mutant. I have tried swapping the cables around (in case it was a fault on the LNB) but any cable from any port on the LNB causes the problem.

I wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar.

I look forward to hearing from you.

P.S. Also posted this on Myhumax.org

Just an idea, because I know next to nothing bout satellite setups, but is the Humax port 2 trying to supply power?

Just an idea, because I know next to nothing bout satellite setups, but is the Humax port 2 trying to supply power?
ALL satellite tuners have to supply power: For universal LNBs it's 13V for V polarity and 18V for H.
Plus the presence / absence of a 22kHz tone signal for Hi/Lo band switching.

Some form of cross-coupled interference seems a possibility? Or ac hum on a DC path. Maybe connect all the LNB outers/screens to a proper ground using an earthing bar? https://www.blake-uk.com/5_way_earth_bar.html

Both have to supply power.
It's a perfectly normal situation that both receivers will power the LNB. There (is likely to or) should be blocking diodes in the LNB (and or distribution switches) to prevent back-feeding from one device to another.

I seem to recall something about dodgy $ky box power supplies putting ac ripple on the DC feeds donkeys years ago that gave issues on other receivers on the same LNB? Can't find anything so far though via Google.

The Humax is double insulated so the metal tuner inputs will be floating wrt house earth. The Mut@nt device looks to be fed via a wall wart PSU or similar; so also not grounded and likewise floating.

Now likelihood is that all the F-sockets on the LNB {I'm assuming this is a own dish quad LNB} have the screens connected together electrically. But there's a possibility things float a bit on the interconnecting cables due to the cable resistances. HDMI leads from each device will also have a screen and connect together at the TV (or AVR) which will add another 'common potential' point. TVs also are most often double insulated so metalwork/input socket 'earth's float. No harm in trying a cable between two fixing screws to the devices, I'd have thought to equalise the potentials that way?

It's an odd fault; and might equally be some form of cross-coupled radio frequency interference from hdmi to lnb cables. Especially if one (or more) cables are poor quality / badly made off. So worth ensuring they are checked. Double-screened all copper construction of cable is my preferred - especially those outside to the LNB.

Oh dear. Construction is not specified by seller. That's usually a bad thing as anyone selling all copper stuff if (rightly) proud of that and commands a premium price.

I suspect from some reviews/answered questions it is copper clad steel core and will be aluminised foil for one screen...
Poor DC conductivity if so. Likely also lossier than all copper especially after removing the copper coating by plugging in and out a few times. It seems it's the 4.8mm diameter XX65 size, too = lossier than the XX100 6.5 mm diameter stuff (Webro WF100 is all copper). But it depends on the length of cable used as to whether it will be a big factor. Satcure's rule of thumb was up to 20m with XX65 cable.

It may be that your signal levels are 'on the digital cliff edge' and the 2nd Humax connection adds extra noise/interference that pushes it all over the edge?

Thanks for all your advice.
Unfortunately, trying new cables and earthing failed to resolve the situation, the Mutant has gone now and has been replaced by a Foxsat HDR which works fine.

Back