HDR 1800T Hard Disk upgrade

HumbleManor

My old pvr 9150 was constantly resetting so I brought myself a refurbished hdr 1800t and a refurbished 2TB 3.5 inch drive to fit straight away before use (yes I'm on a budget...) . Although the 1800t recognised it's old 320gb drive fine it will not recognise the 2TB drive. To test the 2TB drive I fitted it to the old pvr 9150, which recognised it and reformatted it ok. Should mention my 1800t had a 2.5 inch 320gb drive but the carriage had 4 holes for fitting a 3.5 inch drive which is why I'm trying.
The 1800t still wouldn't recognise it though. I've got a cable to connect a hard drive to my laptop but none of the dvr drives are recognised. How can I copy what's on the 1800t original 320gb drive (almost empty) and put it on the 2tb drive so hopefully the 1800t will recognise it?

Also is there a way to get the 1800t to recognise the pvr 9150 drive as an external usb drive using the cable for laptop mentioned above or do I need to somehow put the contents in a folder on the 2tb drive once I get it recognised by the 1800t. My tech level for 'computer stuff' is basic to intermediate....

Thanks for any help.

I've got a cable to connect a hard drive to my laptop but none of the dvr drives are recognised.
Please read Things Every... (click) section 12. You may well plead that "My tech level for 'computer stuff' is basic to intermediate....", but you are going to have to learn a few tricks - the first of which is that the Humax drives are not compatible with Windows (and it's not a very good idea to connect them to Windows - particularly Win10)! Trying to penny-pinch will only add to your woes.

We have seen several examples of apparently working HDDs not being recognised when installed in an HDR-FOX, and I don't think we really know what the problem is. One thing to try would be to use your USB-SATA adapter to try connecting the HDD in question to the 1800T's USB port and see if it can be accessed as a USB drive. If so, you could try formatting it from the menus.

I don't know what the status is with 1800T - whether the firmware supports 2TB disks or not. If you are not on the latest firmware, updating it might help. The drive definitely won't be supported if it is in fact larger than 2TB and/or formatted GPT instead of MBR.

How can I copy what's on the 1800t original 320gb drive (almost empty) and put it on the 2tb drive so hopefully the 1800t will recognise it?
The first problem is whether the target HDD is being recognised at the hardware level. If it isn't, then there is nothing you can do to improve the situation.

Assuming for a moment it is being recognised but there is some operating system pickiness getting in the way, what you would need to do externally is replicate the format from the 320GB drive. That is likely to be too complicated. The best you could reasonably do it so format the whole drive Ext3 and hope. Windows won't do that for you; what you need to do is boot your PC with a Linux bootable DVD and use the disk tools in that.

Also is there a way to get the 1800t to recognise the pvr 9150 drive as an external usb drive using the cable for laptop mentioned above
No.

do I need to somehow put the contents in a folder on the 2tb drive once I get it recognised by the 1800t.
You will need to rip the contents of the 9150 drive using a utility program humaxrw and then copy the result to the 1800T (or a drive to connect to USB).

Back