HDR-1800t Hard Disk

TimK2015

Hi Folks

Just bought what appears to a dead duck from eBay. An HDR-1800t which won't start up. All I can hear is the HDD clicking every few seconds, no lights and no output from HDMI. To me this suggests that it has failed. I'm hoping the seller will take it back and refund me but just wondered what the HDD is that's in these recorders? I can't open it up as it still has the warranty seal intact but it looks like a 2.5" drive from underneath. I have experience of changing drives in HDR Fox T2s so this shouldn't pose a problem if I end up having to keep it.

Regards

TimK

It is probably a 2.5 inch disk. Early versions of the HDR-2000T had a 3.5 inch disk and a fan, but this changed to a 2.5 inch one and no fan. However, the HDR-1800T/-2000T is similar to the HDR-FOX and the HDR-FOX will still power up without a disk or with a duff one in place. It won't let you record etc. but you can access the menus. So the unit is probably a dud. You could try a different power supply (if you have something suitable). If the mainboard has died then it is probably unrepairable. If sold to you as functional, I would send it back for a refund.

Hold your horses - the OP said he isn't willing to go in at this stage with the seal intact and the prospect of returning it for a refund. Only once he's been in and disconnected the HDD will he be able to diagnose further.

Hold your horses - the OP said he isn't willing to go in at this stage with the seal intact and the prospect of returning it for a refund. Only once he's been in and disconnected the HDD will he be able to diagnose further.
Was this addressed to me? I suggested sending it back. If it is like the HDR-FOX (the software is very similar) the unit should still power up, even if the HDD is toast (it doesn't). The PSU is external on these models, so if the OP has a suitable alternative, this could be tried with no need to open the unit.

Back