HDR 2000T copy recordings to USB drive

fgking

I was hoping to buy HDR T2 to use for copying videos to USB drive and play them on humax HD T2 which I kept abroad. I realised that HDR are no longer for sale. Is it then possible to copy recordings on USB drive from HDR 2000T and play them back on HD T2. Could somebody please clarify.

I'm sure there will be others along with more experience (and hope I get this correct), but "Yes" - recordings copied via USB should play anywhere, with a couple of caveats
  1. Recordings on the HDR1800/2000 are encrypted on the box - there is an ftp server on the Hummy which could allow the files to be copied directly, but they will still be encrypted.
  2. However for SD recordings the act of copying via USB decrypts the recording
  3. For HD recordings the decryption-on-the-fly doesn't happen, so you have to perform a bit of magic to get it to decrypt
  4. You need to copy a small file (.hmt) to the PC and change the value of the encryption byte then ship this back to the Humax.
  5. Now, copying via USB will be decrypted-on-the-fly.
  6. This byte can be changed using an application called "foxy", or in a binary hex-editor,changing the byte at location x'3DC' to value x'04'
Lots of info here http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/things-every-hd-fox-t2-hdr-fox-t2-owner-should-know.1858/#post-28592

To add to the caveats for the HDR-2000T
7. not all instant recordings can be exported from the HDR-2000T successfully due to a long standing bug

To add to the caveats for the HDR-2000T
7. not all instant recordings can be exported from the HDR-2000T successfully due to a long standing bug

I've only had a 2000T for a couple of weeks now and am not sure what you mean by this.
IF you mean the problem I've come across where you wind-back during a live showing and hit record - there is a way around this (complicated, but worked for me). All other instant recordings have worked.

I've only had a 2000T for a couple of weeks now and am not sure what you mean by this.
IF you mean the problem I've come across where you wind-back during a live showing and hit record - there is a way around this (complicated, but worked for me). All other instant recordings have worked.
Exporting of instant recordings do not always work.
BTW Streaming of the instant recordings that fail to export fail as well.

Unless you stream or export instant recordings you will not notice the bug.

Last edited:
Could it be that the one you say fail to work are HD recordings, since those won't convert via USB without the "foxy" fix, and since they're encrypted won't stream either, unless you've got a specific DLNA client which is capable of doing the decoding (according to the "things-every-hd-fox-owner-should-know" thread above)

Could it be that the one you say fail to work are HD recordings
No, but thanks for the suggestion. I am just refferring to instant recordings that's why my first point described with respect to instant recordings and not any others. I have not had this happen on any recordings that were made by using the schedule.
See post #4, #5 and #6 at http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/corrupt-recordings#post-21777. Post #6 is a bit more readable then post #4 on that link!

Edit: Typos corrected.

Exporting of instant recordings do not always work.
BTW Streaming of the instant recordings that fail to export fail as well.

Unless you stream or export instant recordings you will not notice the bug.

I've tried streaming and exporting of instant recordings and have, so far, only found the problem you describe on the other thread with rewound instant recordings (if that makes sense?).

Let me describe a solution that worked for me, at least with SD recordings. [Further edit: worked with HD as well]
I have done this using ftp, but you may be able to do something similar by exporting to USB drive. You will probably need to use ftp for part of the "solution". This could be very tedious for a big file. Needless to say, we shouldn't have to do this but...

Using ftp you will find on your Humax a directory called (for example) Family Guy_20141025_2343.ts - inside which are files chunk.0, chunk.1, chunk.2 etc. Copy all these as they are to your PC. Forget chunk.0. On my PC (running windows XP!) I did the following. Open a command window in the directory you stored the chunk files and then do a binary copy/append of the files (eg. copy/b chunk.1+chunk.2+chunk.3 xxx.ts). Obviously, if there are many chunk files this becomes a pain, and you might have to split the copy (perhaps copy/b chunk.1+..+chunk.10 xx1.ts , copy/b chunk.11+...+chunk.20 xx2.ts etc and then finally copy/b xx1.ts+xx2.ts xxx.ts). [EDIT: Make sure you add them in the obvious numerical order!]
Back in windows itself rename the xxx.ts file to "Family Guy_20141025_2343.ts". (I needed to do this because a dos shell couldn't cope with the spaces in the filename). Note that this recording is unplayable on your computer and needs to go back to the Humax for decoding.
Use ftp to delete or rename the ".ts" directory on the Humax and then ftp your new file back.
Check to see if the Humax will play the recording. If it does, the method has worked. If you need to "Foxy" the hmt file, do so. You should now be able to save the recording to a USB - and, on a good day, you might be able to stream it.

If you have a short recording that you can't save, try this method and see if it works. As usual, backup your work in case it goes wrong. If it does work for others, perhaps you could let people know the relevant command for other versions of Windows and other computers.

I think I might have to look into a way of automating this!

Last edited:
I've tried streaming and exporting of instant recordings and have, so far, only found the problem you describe on the other thread with rewound instant recordings (if that makes sense?).
Using ftp you will find on your Humax a directory called (for example) Family Guy_20141025_2343.ts - inside which are files chunk.0, chunk.1, chunk.2 etc.

Aha - I see what you mean :doublethumbsup:

I guess this must be something like...
  • When you start recording (without rewinding) the Hummy can record directly to a continuous .ts file.
However...
  • If you rewind, you're looking at temporary files which the Hummy retains whilst you're viewing that channel (which is why you can pause; rewind etc, since whilst you're paused the temp files are still being written) - I expect these are saved in the chunks we are seeing.
  • So when you chose to record from somewhere back in history, all the Hummy needs to do is make a permanent copy of the chunks, rather than run through all the chunks to create a continuous .ts file

Aha - I see what you mean :doublethumbsup:

So when you chose to record from somewhere back in history, all the Hummy needs to do is make a permanent copy of the chunks, rather than run through all the chunks to create a continuous .ts file

Yes, but whoever wrote the software for the Humax forgot/(missed the opportunity) to add the chunks together when the recording finishes. So (assuming the method works for others) we have to do the work for them and assemble to file.
I know it's a pain adding the chunks together - but if it works for others then it might allow people to save something they find important.

I think I might have to look into a way of automating this
This (concatenating a load of named/numbered files, in order) doesn't seem like the world's toughest programming job! Of course it would be easier with a decent shell, which kinda precludes Window$.
Forget chunk.0.
What's in chunk.0 then?
whoever wrote the software for the Humax forgot/(missed the opportunity)
True to form, as ever.
the HDR-FOX T2 doesn't have the same problem.
Just different ones.

Something like this would work in Linux.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
    echo "Usage: $0 <output filename>"
    exit 1
fi

if [ ! -f chunk.1 ]; then
    echo "Unable to find chunk.1"
    exit 1
fi

echo -n > "$1"
nchunks=$(ls chunk.* | wc -l)

for i in $(seq 1 $((nchunks - 1)) ) ; do 
    echo "chunk.$i"
done | xargs cat >> "$1"

Last edited:
Nine years ago!
!
Something like this would work in Linux
Sometime shortly after the original post (November 2014. Where did the time go?) I tried to create something along the lines of BH's spec. in this post. I'm fairly sure I put in a method (in Java - for reasons to do with it being free, had easy to find libraries, and worked in XP) which does roughly the same. I very rarely needed to de-chunk a recording though.

Back