HDR-2000T picture freezes momentarily during live TV

This is well known to us, and would show up as the quality reading plummeting while signal strength remains high.

The problem is input saturation. The strength reading maxes out at 100, so for all you know a reading of "100" could be 110, 120, or anything over 99. Neither do we have any calibration information as to how many microvolts signal correspond with 100.

The quality figure is the one you should be interested in. As the signal level goes down and is no longer received "clean", the quality will drop below 100% but still be recoverable until the signal drops some more. If the signal goes up into saturation, the quality will drop like a brick. Any signal level that achieves 100% quality is OK, but somewhere in the middle of that band is ideal.

Last edited:
I was told my signal was too good!! We use a booster to connect a 2nd tele. Sure enough, so far, after disconnecting the booster the freezing has stopped.
Buy a (passive) splitter and use that instead. It doesn't cost anything in electricity to run either.
Boosters with huge amounts of gain cause exactly this sort of trouble, are rarely necessary and are usually installed incorrectly anyway. Whoever sold it to you must have seen you coming...

Last edited:
Agree about 'boosters' prpr, but till people in the likes of Wickes, B&Q, Screwfix etc. etc. don't even see people coming, let alone make a concious decision about what they are buying, especially about whether what they are buying is suitable for the purpose to which the buyer intends to put it.:roflmao:

Momentary "freezing" (for a few seconds) on live broadcasts apparently is a known problem that is dealt-with in (at least one) previous thread. I suspected that the effect was caused by impulsive interference that upsets the demodulator system, but I am probably wrong about that. In a previous thread the problem is identified as associated with the aerial signal input being too strong, possibly the result of using a booster distribution amplifier.

In my own case, signal strength = 100%, quality = 100%. You can try disconnecting the booster amplifier (if fitted). I reduced the signal strength by using a coaxial attenuator (6 db) and this worked fine! After fitting the attenuator, signal strength = 90%, quality = 100%.

There may possibly be various other causes of momentary "freezing".

Is it possible that "Quality" could relate to the degree of multipath reception ("ghosting" visible only on analogue TV)? Trouble with digital TV, you either get a perfect picture or nothing.

Trouble with digital TV, you either get a perfect picture or nothing.
No; as you pointed out there is a very narrow window where the error correction is almost but not quite keeping up with errors in the data stream and momentary freezes and other sorts of picture breakup appear. The fundamental problem is that a lot of us grew up in an analogue age where more amplification was always seen as the solution to picture break up issues.

Sometimes it makes things better, which it never did in the analogue days.
That might be the theory behind the SFNs of COM7 and COM8. It seems to take the Humax a while to get organised when tuning into one of these networks. First attempt - no channels found. Second attempt - ditto. Third attempt - loads of channels found.:rolleyes:

That's weird. I can't think of any reason it would benefit from previous history.
I don't think it does. It seems as though it could depend on the time between when you select the multiplex and when you press search. Although that could be BS. It's possible that when you press search it re-finds the multiplex. So far I've only had this problem on either COM7 or COM8, and I think it's the one that is a SFN from Waltham.

Back