HDR-2000T Remote (button problem)

CDude7

My HDR 2000T is about 7 months old and the "Fast Forward" button (only) on the remote has started playing up. (It gets a lot of use skipping through the adverts and the dross). At first, it required a bit more effort than usual to make it respond, then it got worse.

I've taken it to bits, cleaned the contact part of the rubber keypad and the pcb on three separate occasions but each time, it's only lasted 1-2 days before playing up again. (I used methylated sprits and I used switch cleaner because they were what I had to hand).

All the other buttons work perfectly, it's just this one. I'm guessing that the electrical contact material on the rubber pad has worn although it LOOKS exactly the same as all the others. Apart from buying another remote, is there a practical solution, like a conductive glue I could put on the back of the rubber button?

All helpful suggestions welcome ;)

Thank you Black Hole. That was to be my next attempt. (Either foil or some thermal CPU paste - if I could bake it on!) Not quite sure how I'll cut a perfectly round piece of foil (about 2mm dia.) and stick it in place with my fat fingers but I'll give it a go ;) I'll have to employ some kind of punch and tweezers.

I've never worn out a remote in 7 months before. I have several that are years old and still going strong. Perhaps this one is faulty?

My HDR 2000T is about 7 months old and the "Fast Forward" button (only) on the remote has started playing up. (It gets a lot of use skipping through the adverts and the dross).
As the box is only 7 months old it is still under warranty. Ring up Humax (not email) and explain the problem; they have in the past in similar circumstances sent out a new remote control.

Hi Martin, Thank you. I could try that as long as they don't ask me to send the old one back first because it's obvious that it's been "attended to"!! (Hope they're not watching this thread! - I'll wear a disguise).

Notwithstanding the warranty attempt, the foil doesn't need to be round in particular. I suggest Pritt as the adhesive agent, applied into the rubber dimple with a cocktail stick, and then drop in a fragment of foil also with the cocktail stick. The foil does need to be thin though, like old-fashioned chocolate wrapper rather than baking foil.

Ah! The old-fashioned chocolate wrapper eh? Good job you mentioned that as I would have used "Baco Foil". Thank you.

Take a look at photo 10 HERE, I used Baco Foil and double sided sticky tape. The picture is of a Phillips remote, but the principle is the same

That's fine - worked on Phillips, may work on Humax. As a general solution, best to go for the thinnest construction conveniently possible. Glue the foil to a solid substrate and it will be immobilised for cutting the sliver with a sharp knife.

(Either foil or some thermal CPU paste - if I could bake it on!)
Is thermal paste conductive? Silver paint (as supplied for repairing PCB tracks - including car rear window heater elements) is, but it would have to be applied very sparingly.

And probably wear off very quickly.
The moral of the story is, be more gentle with the fast forward button :)

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. What a great forum this is. I gave the remote a more thorough clean yesterday and at the moment, it's working perfectly. If/when it deteriorates, I shall go for the silver foil option (if I haven't managed to obtain a warranty replacement in the meantime).

Use skip forwards >>| rather than fast forwards >>.

Four one minute skips will remove most ad breaks. If you overshoot, just skip back 15 seconds at a time |<<.

Use skip forwards >>| rather than fast forwards >>.

Four one minute skips will remove most ad breaks. If you overshoot, just skip back 15 seconds at a time |<<.

Thanks Mike. That's what I use to skip the ad breaks. The FF is for skipping general dross where I need to see scene changes. Touch wood, the FF button is behaving well since the last overhaul.

Eerily I have had the same problem. Bought HDR-2000T from John Lewis in November and within 5 months the FF button and the Guide buttons became erratic and then ceased to work. Contacted JL by telephone who immediately sent me a new remote. They also contacted Humax who sent me another new remote. The second remote suffered exactly the same problem within the same time frame. Even though I had the other (third) remote, I took the faulty one back to JL who tested it then gave me yet another new remote. So now I have had two remotes that have become faulty, one that I am using now and a fourth unopened as a spare! Not good from Humax who seem to be producing faulty remotes but well done to John Lewis.

Lelly, Sorry to hear about your woes but useful to hear that there's probably little point in me buying a new remote as it's likely to develop the same fault. My FF button continues to play up every few weeks, I just clean it and it's ok for another few weeks. Last night, the button underneath FF started misbehaving but a quick clean and it was back to normal. Those two are the most used buttons on my remote, which probably explains why they've played up first. There's no visibly obvious reason for the malfunction but then I don't think there ever is! I've noticed that the rubber part that makes contact with the circuit board is very small in diameter - probably only about 2mm so there's not much room for error and it's going to be a lot of fun trying to glue a piece of silver paper to it!

Just phoned Humax Customer Technical Support and the nice man is going to send me a new remote under warranty. I should have done that weeks ago! Now I'll have a spare in case I muck up sticking bits of silver paper to the buttons on the original.

Another one with a dodgy remote grrr.

RM I09U quite a few non-repsonsive buttons and a few that need to be pressed repeatedly to work, which always leads to pressing it again after it works and closing the Guide lol :)

I contacted JL as it came with a 2 year guarantee and they gave me a few suggestions, like lining it up with a digital camera. None of that worked so JL told me to contact Humax, I sent a copy of JL suggestions in my Humax email and Humax replied the next day with the SAME suggestions! grrr
If that didnt work, then I was to send an email with a copy of my Invoice and serial number. I sent that 2 weeks ago, a chaser 2 days after and another 2 days after that. This week on Monday I posted on their Facebook page to ask why they had gone all quiet, no responce. Grrrrrr
So I went back to JL and told them whats been happening, JL contacted them today and it turns out there is none in stock, though why Humax couldnt be arsed to let me know that was not explained.

Really disappointed in Humax, they have a great PVR but the few occasions when Ive contacted them, they have been pretty useless. Puts me off buying another one, but looking on Amazon there doesnt seem to be any real options. :(

I also have an RM-I09U with buttons that aren't working. I have Richer Sounds 5 year cover on it and it's more than 12 months old. RS were unable to get spare units from Humax after months of trying, so sent a "Classic" IRC OD STB1 as a replacement. It doesn't control the HDR-2000T. Rang them and they sent another one, still didn't work.

I might try opening up the original if I can figure out how without breaking it, to see if the foil trick works, but in the meantime doesn't anyone know of a third party alternative that has full functionality? I would definitely want to be able use the skip forward and back buttons - best invention ever :). The All-In-One units look OK, but I can't figure out if they are OK for the HDR-2000T or not from the website.

I previously had a Humax 9200 PVR for a long time and never had any problems with the remote. The newer ones seem cheap and nasty. The only place I can find an original RM-I09U in stock they are asking for £35 and I'm not keen on paying that when they don't last long. We also have a Freesat Freetime Humax box and some of those buttons are on the way out too. Not good! :( It is a shame as the actual boxes are great.

Any help appreciated! TIA.

I have several different Harmony handsets that can be programmed to work with my HDR-FOX - they can learn, but code sets are downloadable so it isn't essential to have the original functional handset.

Back