HDR causes TV to display message Unsupported Signal

bottletop

I have an old Sony TV (roughly 2010). Occasionally I get a message complaining about 'Unsupported Signal' on a black screen - as though the TV is unable to display an image. It is totally black - no audio or video.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00030407
https://baahkast.com/why-does-my-sony-tv-say-unsupported-signal
It seems to happen while using the HDR to view Live TV which I often do.
It has happened occasionally when I pause a recording - come back to blank screen.
It has happened when using either of the HDRs connected to this TV - so maybe they're not 100% compatible with the TV itself.
I don't have another TV to test the HDRs on so can't rule the TV out. It does seem to be occasional - maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks.
Yesterday it happened while I was watching the Live TV whilst recording this Live TV buffer.
When this happens, the affected HDR doesn't respond to remote handset input, WebIF not avaliable and ping to the HDR will not work, so the only option is to power cycle the HDR.
I suspect it is a HDR issue as power cycling it fixes the issue - ie while leaving the TV as it is (powered on and without switching HDMI source).
Nothing on the HDR crash log. It looks like a random HDR crash to me.
Not sure if it an impending green screen issue - as it doesn't show a static green - but web searches suggest possible HDMI issue.

Last edited:
For what it's worth - with a different Humax (5000T) I've had the same problem using an HDMI cable. Sometimes it resolves itself. ie. it says unsupported but then manages to display the picture. When it doesn't, I get the TV to switch to another input and then back to the HDMI input and everything is fine. I suspect something has gone awry in the communications between the TV and the Humax. This doesn't quite match your experience, but you could try to resetting the connection from the TV end rather than the Humax and see if that makes a difference. :dunno:

... This doesn't quite match your experience, but you could try to resetting the connection from the TV end rather than the Humax and see if that makes a difference. :dunno:
I neglected to mention that's usually my first response switching inputs, channels or the TV off before I tried the other options.
Probably wise to dig that old SCART cable out ...
That's a good point. Also I hadn't considered the TV is getting on a bit until I read back my post. Oh well.

When this happens, the affected HDR doesn't respond to remote handset input, WebIF not avaliable and ping to the HDR will not work, so the only option is to power cycle the HDR.
I suspect it is a HDR issue as power cycling it fixes the issue
This is just a standard HDR crash. It is nothing to do with the TV or inputs or HDMI or anything else. Mine do it occasionally. I guess they all probably do.

When this happens
Do you mean every time, with no exceptions?

There are several "modes" of HDR-FOX crash/freeze, including vision and audio continuing as normal, or just audio, but the UI becoming unresponsive. Other functions (such as the web server) may or may not continue unaffected, it depends on which process or processes have stopped running.

The fact you have to reboot the HDR-FOX is the smoking gun. It seems incredibly unlikely (and never reported) that something at the receive end of the HDMI feeds back a crash.

17-02-2022 14:56 Winter Olympics BBC TWO - Live TV Buffer runs for 58/59 minutes - crash blank screen on Live TV

So crash occurs at range 17-02-2022 15:54-15:56
Filename /media/My Video/Winter Olympics_20220217_1456.ts
WebIF/browse shows
Duration 58 minute(s). (Scheduled: 120)
Status Scrambled/Unknown

Back