HDR-FOX Lock-Up

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Just for the record, HDR1 locked up last night for no apparent reason. Symptoms:
  • Frozen picture
  • Unresponsive to remote or front panel (or both together)
  • WebIF not accessible
  • Visible on network by SMB, but not navigable
  • No self-recovery even after 8 hours
No option but to cold-restart it. OK now.

Now, if this was a Topfield 5800/5810 and it was a couple of years old or more, I would start to worry about the PSU capacitors failing causing the voltages to go out-of-specification.
However, the Toppy's are not known for their good ventilation and, without the built-in fan of the Humax, the temperatures inside the case can be relatively high and prematurely age the poor quality capacitors originally fitted. The 5810 is particularly know for running quite hot as its case is physically smaller with poor vents.

Many of our Hummy's will be approaching a couple of years old now, so could this problem be manifesting itself here?

I have been lucky enough to be able to do a direct comparison between a Topfield 5810 and a Humax HDR Fox-T2 as I had them running side-by-side. The Toppy was considerably hotter to the touch and had already had the PSU capacitors replaced some time ago.

I have no idea of the cause of you problem BH, but I suspect that it will happen sooner or later.

This is all purely conjecture, but one possible cause I feel we will see going forward.

Yes, it is almost inevitable in a processor-based system that there will be glitches from time to time, unless fault tolerance has been designed in. This is not the first time, but it doesn't happen often by any means (so far). I am only putting down a marker.

In the couple of years I have owned my HDR #1, it has only 'crashed' once that I am aware of. I have no idea what caused it. It was just spontaneous. That would probably have been 10 months ago. At the time you think to yourself 'is this the start of something', but as you rightly say, it is almost inevitable that something like that will happen at some point. It has never locked-up though.

Back