Hdr fox t 2 - Hard Drive not spinning down ?

damianiw

Hi

I've noticed quite a few times recently my Humax disk is spinning even though the unit is not doing anything, it is not recording, not powered on but sometimes several hours after the last interaction (was being watched and put into standby by front ! Remote, was recording but in standby before)

I see a new cfw is out so plan to upgrade and remove all packages except autounprotect at weekend, I do currently have the box linked up to rshummypkg

Has anyone else experienced this ? As I said the box is definitely in standby and if brought out of standby then put back into standby after 30 seconds the disk spins down.

Regards

Damian

As I said the box is definitely in standby and if brought out of standby then put back into standby after 30 seconds the disk spins down.

This is different, the problem I (and I think the other cases) am having at the moment (as per the link in xyz321's post above) is the disk will not spin down even if we do bring the Humax up and take it down again.

You say "definitely in standby", but does the Humax not turn on immediately from that state rather than taking time to boot up? If so, we refer to it as "half awake" (see Things Every... section 18), and if you had an external drive plugged into USB you would find the USB still powered (it is not when in proper standby) and the Ethernet ports flashing away (if connected to a wired network).

Three things I would suggest trying:
  • A full cold start from power off (switch at the back or at the wall)
  • Reset of DLNA database (turn off content sharing, clear database from WebIF diagnostics, turn on content sharing)
  • Factory reset (will require a retune, reconfiguring user options, and restoring recording schedule)

Thanks

I'll take a read of the Things Everything to understand the half awake, I'm guessing half awake would be when the unit is 'standby' but webif still runs - I didn't check that but will do after reading.

I do use DLNA so will do that, would factory reset also erase CFW ? (I dont want to erase CFW but if I have to and reinstall I will)

After doing the factory reset, disabling dlna, clearint dlna database via webif and then re-enabling the issue appears resolved

Regards

Damian

I don't use DLNA but I suffer the same issue of hard drive spinning with the unit not even in half-awake. Doesnt bother me so much any more though, certainly not enough to factory reset the unit. My cat seems to llike the warmth the unit gives off now anyway!

Possible causes of the hard disk never spinning down are :-
1) When one of a pair of start/stop times is missing e.g. Settings >> Preferences >> Power On Timer / Power Off Timer
2) The hard disk is holding a corrupted recording (Won't play) Sometimes with greyed out options

to fix 1) It's safer to remove start/stop timers and use a daily reminder instead
to fix 2) Try to play all recordings and deleted any that won't play

Mine's started doing this again :-( I think you're right and I have a failed recording (or corrupt) I noticed a doctor who kept appearing in the daily hummypkg scheduler failed recordings. Email.

I Have removed it but unit still doing it, will check the auto power on/off and reset again

Regards

Damian

The way I cured mine (and I didn't manage to pin down the exact cause) was to use Telnet commands to move everything out of My Video to a holding folder, and then bring parts back testing each time. Unfortunately by the time I had brought everything back it was still OK!

Relevant topic HERE (click).

Possible causes of the hard disk never spinning down are :-
1) When one of a pair of start/stop times is missing e.g. Settings >> Preferences >> Power On Timer / Power Off Timer

forgot to say, I investigated and this is exactly what was causing my hard drive to not spin down

many thanks :)

What, you mean as per Things Every... section 18, referenced in post 3?

Ill put my hands up and hadn't fully read that guide either :-( very useful.

I've confirmed my power on and off are disabled since factory reset so ill work through the file suggestion next as I know I have had some failed recordings in the past that may need tidying (annoying if they're the cause!)

Question about the powermodes, I have my hdr fox T 2 set to use the standby mode where the antenna is passed through.

I'm guessing my hdr is 9 times out of 10 in the deliquent mode, I can access webif when the unit is in standby and disk is spinning.

I thought it could have been the power on / off as I had it set previously to turn on at 4.00 am to make it miss any ota.

I'm also going to check the hummypkg scheduler as I thought I saw an on/off there.

Is there any tool to automatically periodically remove failed recordings / left behind mht's which I've seen and thought they were related to auto shrink/dedup which I have also disabled at present ?

Regards

Damian

I thought it could have been the power on / off as I had it set previously to turn on at 4.00 am to make it miss any ota.
Power on/off won't do that, only a scheduled recording or reminder (or the custom firmware disable-ota package).

Well my box was doing what I thought it should from cold over the weekend !
Powers up shows firmware version, spins and spins it down.

What did I do ? Moved all recording back also had to retune and then restore recordings.

Great! However I recorded programs yesterday and today its back to usual :-(

Powers up shows firmware version, spins and spins it down a bit accessing disk every few seconds and then keeps accessing it every 10-30 seconds, just a little chatter but its definitely running something.

Time to recable the power :) so this can stay in standby without everything in the entertainment centre.

Regards

Damian

Back