HDR-FOX T2 always starts on BBC Red Button (CH 250)

Old Owl

My HDR-FOX T2 always starts up showing channel 250 (BBC Red Button). Is this correct behaviour, and can I change it? I find it frustrating (and odd) that it doesn't remember the last channel viewed, like my FOXSAT-HDR. Both have the latest custom firmware.

My HDR-FOX T2 always starts up showing channel 250 (BBC Red Button).
This is because you have a reminder schedule set to prevent an OTA update. Check your settings for the disable-ota package and disable the reminder schedule option, and then also remove the corresponding schedule entry (for around 0420-0440).

The reason it's there is in case an OTA slips through - higher priority tasks take priority and suppress it. But there aren't any updates transmitted any more so that doesn't matter (but the box will still wake up to look for one).

Your HDR-FOX still needs to reboot and/or change channels periodically, to keep its EPG up to date, so if you are planning on going away it's still worth having a reminder (even if you set it to a different channel). 250 is chosen because it is data only.

This is because you have a reminder schedule set to prevent an OTA update. Check your settings for the disable-ota package and disable the reminder schedule option, and then also remove the corresponding schedule entry (for around 0420-0440).

The reason it's there is in case an OTA slips through - higher priority tasks take priority and suppress it. But there aren't any updates transmitted any more so that doesn't matter (but the box will still wake up to look for one).

Your HDR-FOX still needs to reboot and/or change channels periodically, to keep its EPG up to date, so if you are planning on going away it's still worth having a reminder (even if you set it to a different channel). 250 is chosen because it is data only.

Understood. I did as you suggested and things looked good, thanks.

You can also use the boot-settings package to specify the start-up channel and other options

Well, I did this but things didn't go smoothly.

I went to the settings page after installing the package, but they looked different - all the setting were now tucked under EPG and not as a separate item as I thought they were before. I was unable to get into the boot-settings package settings, there was a message saying that something was locked. I tried this a few times, then decided to reboot the Humax to clear whatever the lock was. At this point I was unexpectedly taken into the Humax Installation menu and I had to go through the whole setup process, including needing to re-setup the network. I though WTF, as you would... Initially I couldn't connect from my browser and was beginning to think the custom firmware had somehow got trashed. I eventually tried pinging the Humax IP to verify it was alive - it was, and then (coincidentally??) I was able to connect from the browser. I got a message to say that the recording schedule had been restored (I have the auto-schedule-restore package installed) - sounded good, except when I looked the schedule was empty. I've now manually re-entered it, so hopefully everything is back the way it should be. But I wasn't expecting any of that, I assume something bad happened along the way (caused by me?). Should I have rebooted after the first install?

Regardless of all that, thanks for the help!

It sounds to me like something has got corrupted, possibly because your HDD is flakey. I recommend running fixdisk as a matter of urgency, and then see what the situation is.

Disk diagnostics (general) shows no errors. I've installed fix-disk - I expected to see it on the Diagnostics page drop down but I didn't. I ran it by just typing the name in the box (I hope this was correct) - it took no time at all to run and reported no errors.

Back