HDR-FOX T2 beaming to another LCD in a different room

Bairdyboy1980

Hi all!

Newbie here! Just ordered at HDR-T2 FOX for my living room. Great! I am just about to buy a small LCD (probably 22") for our bedroom. I want to get an LCD that u can play the files from my FOX T2 in the different room. Anyone do this currently?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Bairdyboy1980

We do something similar. HDR-T2 (Hummy) is in the lounge under our main TV, we also have a small LCD in the morning room that we can view the programmes recorded on the Hummy. Helpfully, as the main TV ariel is behind the main TV, I already have a coax ariel cable running from there to the small TV in the morning room.

As the Hummy does not have an RF output (just a loop through), you need to buy an RF modulator. I purchased one from Amazon. I connected the Video and Audio Output connectors on the Hummy to the input on the new modulator. The RF output from the modulator is the existing coax ariel cable to the small TV.
You will also have to connect the modulator to the main ariel to allow you to continue to use the second TV as before.

Another caveat is that the second TV must have an analogue tuner. My second TV has both. When I want to watch a programme from the Hummy, I select the analogue tuner and the channel I have set the RF modulator to.

Sorry if it sound complicated, I am not very good at explaining things.

But to answer your question - yes it can be done!

This is the modulator I have, CLICK HERE

HTH.

I made it sound complicated as I am not very articulate. It's easy really.

You can connect the Hummy to your home network very easily. You won't be able to stream recordings directly to a second TV though.

Take a look at the Wiki. It's very informative.

I made it sound complicated as I am not very articulate. It's easy really.

You can connect the Hummy to your home network very easily. You won't be able to stream recordings directly to a second TV though.

Take a look at the Wiki. It's very informative.

But surely if the tv is DLNA compliant? Will take a look now. Def want to stream as there are 3 levels between rooms :-(

You will need a media player compatible with the DLNA service on the HDR-FOX - and the best thing for that is an HD-FOX (or another HDR-FOX). That will get you access to the HDR-FOX's recordings with full playback control across the home network.

If you have an old VCR knocking about, Wallace's plan is cheap and easy: you just route the HDR-FOX's SCART output to the VCR, set the VCR to AV input, and bingo the SCART signal will be modulated onto the VCR's RF output ready to stick up the TV's aerial socket (analogue tuner) via a coax lead. All you will be able to do with that is set a recording playing back and then go to watch it in the other room.

Finally you can buy a wireless video sender, which creates a wireless SCART lead (effectively) so you can view the HDR's output in the other room (same as the VCR option), but also provides a remote control back-channel so you can still operate the HDR from the viewing room.

But surely if the tv is DLNA compliant? Will take a look now. Def want to stream as there are 3 levels between rooms :-(
'fraid not. TV media players don't seem to make a very good job of it - might work, might not, and definitely won't work for HiDef (even if it could) because of DRM (although we can do something about that). The best DLNA client for the HDR-FOX we know of is the HD-FOX.

Not many DLNA compliant devices support streaming from the Humax unfortunately*. As BH has said, the best DLNA client is another Humax, and you can pick up a HD model fairly cheaply from humaxdirect.

The Raspberry Pi looks promising as a cheaper alternative it it isn't out yet (and may also not support the Humax streams)

*I have a new Panasonic TV which is DLNA compliant but it can't show files from the Humax despite claiming to support transport streams (TS).

'fraid not. TV media players don't seem to make a very good job of it - might work, might not, and definitely won't work for HiDef (even if it could) because of DRM (although we can do something about that). The best DLNA client for the HDR-FOX we know of is the HD-FOX.

What about a ps3? I could move my ps3 upstairs if the HDR-FOX can play files from my NAS (that's what I currently use the PS3 for)

The HDR-FOX might be able to play from the NAS - either if the files are compatible and the NAS had a DNLA server, or if the files are playable at all and you use the custom software to mount the NAS as a local drive (check out CIFS).

The next thing will be to find something to run on the PS3 that can stream from the Humax. There may be a version of XBMC for PS3. As long as you are OK only streaming StDef recordings you have a good chance; HiDef has problems with DRM (which we have tools to suppress) but also playback support. The native PS3 might have a suitable media player, even if it won't stream you might be able to mount the Humax as a network share (as long at the PS3 has the tools - the custom software on the Humax can provide a Samba share).

I'm 99.9% certain that when I tried it a while ago, my PS3 streamed from my HDR-FOX just natively. Everything's off now so I'll confirm tomorrow.

Well, the Humax turns up on the list of media servers and it plays standard def. with no problem. Hi-def is a bit strange - it only shows some of the programs but even the ones it shows don't play with sound. I do have the custom firmware with auto-unprotect - but I haven't tried removing the encryption by copying off (or to the virtual drive). It's a bit of a puzzle why not all files are listed.

So right now I can only confirm it's only good for standard def. streaming - but the picture looks good (on a large TV).

One caveat - I haven't tried it out wirelessly, but for standard def. I doubt that'd be a problem.

Just for info. I can confirm that the following DON'T work: Sony Bravia KDL-32CX52x (2011 model internet enabled TV) and Samsung Blu-ray BD-D7000. Both found the Humax media server and listed the files but neither could play the files - not even the standard def. ones. The Samsung blu-ray also failed to play DVDs but that's another story...

However, the iPad also works extremely well (with the same standard def. limitation) via a variety of cheap apps (which of course makes up for paying for the iPad in the first place!): AirPlayer, BUZZ Player and AcePlayer (which is my favourite of the three). BUZZ and Ace (and possibly Air - I'd have to check) also let you download the file to the iPad (albeit pretty slowly over wifi). I guess that with the HDMI adapter it might be possible to throw the display to a TV - so then you get both a protable device and a streaming device. Haven't tried it though.

Back