HDR-FOX T2 communication problem

Ubtree

I am connecting my HDR-FOX T2 to a wireless LAN using a wireless router with DHCP server enabled. However, since connecting an additional printer to my LAN, the Humax has not communicated properly with network: although the Humax reports that it is connected to the network and can connect to the Humax portal and the router can "see" the Humax, I can no longer access the Humax using a web browser nor Telnet to it.

I have checked the IP address allocated by the DHCP server, and used this to try to connect using the browser and Telnet, but neither are able to connect. I have also rebooted the Humax by switching off and unplugging it.

Any suggestions on where to go from here would be appreciated.

Have you tried disconnecting the printer again? Is the printer connected by WiFi? Do you only have one device to run a web browser on (ie does the same thing happen with another browser)?

Hi. Thanks for the response.

Yes, I've tried disconnecting the printer, but this has no effect. I've also tried connecting using Internet Explorer and Opera, in addition to Firefox. Same result!

Although I said that I had connected a new printer, it was only a new connection. I had previously been connecting the printer by wireless, but changed this to an ethernet connection.

So what IP address does the Humax itself report?
Well, this is where it gets interesting.....

I'm far from being an expert when it comes to networking, but as part of the troubleshooting I tried a couple of experiments:
  • With the Humax set to DHCP, it does show the IP address allocated by the router (and displayed in the router's DHCP listing).
  • But if I configure the Humax to Manual (while keeping the router on DHCP) and input an incorrect IP address into the Humax, even though the router DHCP listing no longer shows the Humax, the Humax continues to confirm a network connection and can still connect to the Humax portal.

• But if I configure the Humax to Manual (while keeping the router on DHCP) and input an incorrect IP address into the Humax, even though the router DHCP listing no longer shows the Humax, the Humax continues to confirm a network connection and can still connect to the Humax portal.
That is correct.

When I said "another browser", meant using another device with browsing ability eg a tablet or smart phone (presuming you are currently using a PC).

With the Humax set to DHCP, it does show the IP address allocated by the router (and displayed in the router's DHCP listing).
What do you mean by an incorrect IP address? Providing it is on the same subnet (ie only the last part (octet) of the IP address changed) and doesn't conflict with another device then it will work fine. My network is a mix of manually set IP addresses and DHCP allocated addresses. Can you access the Humax via Telnet with a manually allocated IP address? If not can you describe in more detail how your network is configured (how the Humax is connected, you said WiFi but is this with a dongle or a bridge). how is the computer you are running Telnet on connected? What are the IP addresses of the various devices?

Ubtree : I can no longer access the Humax using a web browser nor Telnet to it.
What Firmware version is your Humax displaying? there was recently an OTA of 1.03.12, this will have overwritten the Custom Firmware, disabling both Web-If and Telnet access

Providing it is on the same subnet (ie only the last part (octet) of the IP address changed) and doesn't conflict with another device then it will work fine.
Thank you. I now understand a little more about networking. (I previously thought that a network had to have either IP addresses manually assigned to devices, or DHCP, but not both.)

Can you access the Humax via Telnet with a manually allocated IP address?
No - but I think that the problem has been diagnosed below.

What Firmware version is your Humax displaying? there was recently an OTA of 1.03.12, this will have overwritten the Custom Firmware, disabling both Web-If and Telnet access
Yes, you're absolutely right (of course!). The Humax now has firmware 1.03.12, and no custom firmware.

:oops: Doh! Of course. Coincident events, blame one and it's actually the other. See here: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/disappearing-firmware.4715/
Thank you for the link. I'll spend some time this weekend not only reloading the custom firmware, but also following the guidance taking control of the firmware updating process.

And thank you, everyone, for your input.

I now understand a little more about networking. (I previously thought that a network had to have either IP addresses manually assigned to devices, or DHCP, but not both.)
It does. You cannot make a device DHCP and static address (on the same network interface) at the same time.

Also, if you are using static addresses, then do NOT allocate statics out of the pool the DHCP server is using.

Back