HDR-Fox T2 control problems.

Wingman

I've been running CFW 3.13 successfully For quite a while now, and been very happy. Very recently, I noticed that the RM-F04 remote would no longer fully control the PVR. the volume control, speaker mute no longer work, although they work fine when I select TV on the controller. I can't access the TV Portal either. I have tried reinstalling CFW3.13, although, upon power up, the front panel display says 'Custom FW 3.13'. when I attempt to reload it, I don't get the OSD with the progress bar - it just goes straight to off air program. As well as this, I can no longer access the web page server - it comes back as Err 404. I have the LAN set as static, and the OSD acknowledges connection to the network. The static IP is set to 198.162.1.128, and the device is visible in my routers network map OK. although it wasn't before (when all worked OK) I have now put it in a DMZ in case the firewall was causing a problem. I have even tried a system flush as per the instructions, but get no confirmation of any kind - A few seconds after booting, the PVR appears to start as normal, but still exhibiting the problems. Could this be a problem with the remote? All the relevant lights flash when addressing either the TV or PVR, but the problem persists.
Any one got any ideas please? I'm rather stumped, and haven't got a clue how to proceed.
Thanks in advance and best wishes - John.

when I attempt to reload it, I don't get the OSD with the progress bar - it just goes straight to off air program.
That means the update file is not being recognised on your UPD, or the UPD itself isn't being recognised by the boot loader. I see no reason to try re-installing the firmware.

I have even tried a system flush as per the instructions
I see no reason a system flush would resolve this problem.

As well as this, I can no longer access the web page server - it comes back as Err 404. I have the LAN set as static, and the OSD acknowledges connection to the network. The static IP is set to 198.162.1.128, and the device is visible in my routers network map OK.
I imagine your random mucking about has killed something. Go in through Telnet and run fixweb.

I can't imagine why, if the other buttons work (such as programme up/down), and the PVR light flashes when you press Mute, it wouldn't mute. Volume up/down might not work on HiDef services if you have audio set to multichannel and the TV is not compatible with volume control commands (although the volume bar should pop up), but Mute should always work regardless.

What might explain it is if you (or somebody else) has programmed the ir package to ignore volume/mute commands. This is not an uncommon scenario, to prevent the PVR volume being adjusted in preference to the TV (I have used this myself). Harmony remotes always push the volume/mute commands to the TV regardless of mode.

Once you have WebIF working again, take a look at WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for ir, and/or disable the CF to eliminate it from the equation WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Safe Mode.

That means the update file is not being recognised on your UPD, or the UPD itself isn't being recognised by the boot loader. I see no reason to try re-installing the firmware.

I see no reason a system flush would resolve this problem.

I imagine your random mucking about has killed something. Go in through Telnet and run fixweb.

I can't imagine why, if the other buttons work (such as programme up/down), and the PVR light flashes when you press Mute, it wouldn't mute. Volume up/down might not work on HiDef services if you have audio set to multichannel and the TV is not compatible with volume control commands (although the volume bar should pop up), but Mute should always work regardless.

What might explain it is if you (or somebody else) has programmed the ir package to ignore volume/mute commands. This is not an uncommon scenario, to prevent the PVR volume being adjusted in preference to the TV (I have used this myself). Harmony remotes always push the volume/mute commands to the TV regardless of mode.

Once you have WebIF working again, take a look at WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for ir, and/or disable the CF to eliminate it from the equation WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Safe Mode.
Thanks Blackhole. I’ll try accessing it via Telnet tomorrow when there’s a bit of peace and quiet. I’ll see what fixweb does.

I can access the PVR via Telnet OK, and run fixweb. If I reboot in safe mode, I can access it via the web interface, and the normal functions of the remote are restored (volume, mute etc). There is no opportunity to install the full web if.However, if I do a reboot without being in safe mode, I go back to square 1. I can no longer access via the web if and the remote functions disappear. any further help would be appreciated.
Best - John.

It seems your main problem is to repair your WebIF installation then, and it very much sounds like you have the ir settings I mentioned.

There is no opportunity to install the full web if
So what happened when you ran fixweb?

The nuclear option is to rma it. Then Telnet in again and clear rma, which will then let you do a clean reinstall of WebIF etc via the normal installation web page.

I suggest you check the remote is working when pressing all the buttons, point the remote at any digital camera and you should see the ir led illuminate on any button press.

It is common for frequently used buttons to start to fail.

Low batteries can also cause erratic operation.

When I ran fixweb, I rebooted into safe mode. I could then access it from a browser, but the only menu available was the telnet options, or reboot in normal mode. That apart, the PVR works OK, with all the remote control functions working. A reboot (not in safe mode) puts everything back to the faulty state (remote functions not working, and not accessible via a browser. I guess Ill have to rma it. May not be able to do that today (Wednesday) but will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again for your help.

I suggest you check the remote is working when pressing all the buttons, point the remote at any digital camera and you should see the ir led illuminate on any button press.

Thanks Matthew - All those things have been checked, and established the remote controller is OK.
Best - John.

This would not explain the symptoms described in the OP, or the result of disabling the CF:
If I reboot in safe mode, I can access it via the web interface, and the normal functions of the remote are restored (volume, mute etc).

Last edited:
When I ran fixweb, I rebooted into safe mode. I could then access it from a browser, but the only menu available was the telnet options, or reboot in normal mode.
I take it you went into safe mode from the Telnet menu. fixweb was intended to restore the WebIF so you could go into safe mode from WebIF >> Diagnostics, it should have reported loads of stuff being reinstalled but apparently nothing happened.

Yes - I went into a safe mode reboot from the Telnet Screen. When I ran fixweb, there was a lot of stuff being reinstalled and scrolling down the screen quite quickly. the difference that fixweb made was that the webif works in safe mode, but not in normal mode. If I go back to safe mode via a telnet reboot, I can use the safe mode web if again.

When I ran fixweb, there was a lot of stuff being reinstalled and scrolling down the screen quite quickly.
OK, good. Shame that didn't fix it.

If I go back to safe mode via a telnet reboot, I can use the safe mode web if again.
There shouldn't be any WebIF in safe mode, that's the point of it. I guess you mean the minimal web page that just lets you reboot out of safe mode.

All is good now. I set the rma, and reinstalled the OEM firmware. After establishing all functions were OK, I then did a fresh install of the CFW, and took it back out of rma mode. Thanks again for your help... I still don't know what caused the problem in the first place though...

This is all there is to explain it:

Understood - but I didn't change anything, and nobody else has physical access to the box. I don't think it accounts for the webif not being accessible either. Anyway, It's fine again now, and I'm very grateful.
Cheers - John.

Did you have the ir package installed? Just one switch in WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for ir package would create the effect you reported:

1582800784643.jpeg

If you are adamant that neither you nor anyone else could have tweaked that switch out of curiosity and forgotten about it, the only reasonable conclusion left is that the corrupted WebIF was responsible.

No, the controls weren't disabled, and I hadn't used the web interface for a few weeks, when the mute/volume controls stopped working. I can only assume that somehow the firmware/webif has been corrupted. It was only when I was investigating the volume problem that I found I couldn't access the box from the network.

Back