HDR Fox T2 crashing and rebooting - also sound disappears after a while

OldWindmill

I have an HDR Fox T2 which has started crashing and rebooting on startup on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes it will eventually work after going through the crash reboot cycle several times. I have been through the steps at
Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (sorry as a newbie I can't post a link yet).

I am running custom firmware 3.10. The system flush did have some effect as I managed to get the machine to stay up long enough to do a channel rescan but when I turned it off again (I mean into standby) it went into a reboot loop when I tried turning it on again and hasn't worked since.

I am coming to the conclusion that I need a new front panel. This is because it still crashes even if I disconnect the hard drive and all external connections (including the TV!) and plug the box in another room away from all remotes apart from its own. Are there any other options open to me? I would like to keep my existing recordings if possible.

The other problem I have, which started happening before the crashing, is that after a random period of time (any time between 1 minute and 30 minutes or so) the sound disappears and there's no way of getting it back without turning the box off (or into standby) and on. Any ideas?

This sounds pretty terminal. You could get it a new front panel, but you could be throwing money away. It would probably be more viable to obtain another one either to use or as a source of parts. Other possibilities are the power supply and/or electrolytic capacitors (in the PSU or the main board) gone "dry". It is possible to replace them if you have a clue what you're doing.

I would like to keep my existing recordings if possible.
You mean you are running CF but don't routinely decrypt your recordings? More fool you. It's only telly.

I was afraid it might be terminal. Replacing capacitors is beyond me nowadays - it's years since I last wielded a soldering iron. I've now managed to get the machine to boot up after 10 minutes or so of going through the crash reboot loop and I've switched on recursive auto decrypt on the top level folder. How long will it take to decrypt 355GB of recordings, mostly standard def? Yes I have run auto unprotect too.

About 4-5 days solid I reckon. Make sure you don't run out of disk space too!

About 4-5 days solid I reckon. Make sure you don't run out of disk space too!

In the end it finished decrypting this afternoon, so less than 24 hours. The machine hasn't crashed today but the picture disappeared from the TV after a few minutes. Any ideas?

I have an HDR Fox T2 which has started crashing and rebooting on startup on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes it will eventually work after going through the crash reboot cycle several times. I have been through the steps at
Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues

I have a similar - but hopefully less terminal - problem which I have been living with for a couple of years, but is nevertheless annoying.

Every time my HDR-FOX-T2 is switched from standby to run, it works fine for 2 or 3 minutes. THEN, the picture freezes but the sound carries on for another couple of minutes. THEN the whole thing re-boots and runs ok (most of the time) until the next time it is switched on from Standby. I say "most of the time" because occasionally it will freeze and re-boot after it it has been on for hours. I tend to leave it on 7 x 24 in order to avoid the annoyance, but shouldn't have to do so.

Could someone please provide a link to Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues mentioned above, or has anyone got any other bright ideas.

The problem seemed to start when I installed the Custom FW (v3.03) but since I updated the standard FW to 1.03.12 at the same time, it could be related to either.

All helpful suggestions appreciated.

WT

Back