HDR Fox T2 File ts Editing

I also found this site http://www.moviemasher.com/ which apparently offers "open source video editing tools for your site". It has an examples page and appears to offer an HD clip to play with but I don't know enough about what happens under the bonnet on websites to know whether we can use any of this - but with all the work on opening up the portal could this be of any use? Would this be a way to get Video Trimming on the box? I need the help of a BYT to review the technicalities.

I took a look at TS Converter. First, it's not free: it costs £24 after the 30-day evaluation period but that information is well buried behind all the 'free download' links. Why can't these sites be upfront about pricing? I always reject out of hand anything that pretends to be free and then turns out to have hidden charges.

Anyway, in the interests of reporting back, I installed the evaluation and tried to load one of my DCI Banks HD files (that Freemake coped with very well), resulting in an immediate 'division by zero' error. End of evaluation: cue Revo uninstaller.

Thanks for your efforts guys, I await the results with baited breath.

When it comes to winding back a lousy install, I use RollbackRX - not free, but it has not trashed my system so far unlike Comodo Time Machine (spit). It doesn't just uninstall, or do a Windows Restore - it actually tracks the disk back to its state at the "snapshot" you select, and with snapshots being taken at selectable intervals you can choose your re-entry, AND preserve where you came from to return to if you wish. For example, after I decided FF7 wasn't for me I flipped back to the pre-FF7 snapshot and carried on as if nothing had happened, but if I decide to investigate further I can jump into the FF7-installed snapshot and have a play if I want, returning to "current" for my normal activities. It does all this almost instantly (with a reboot).

Thanks fenlander for confirming ts converter, I'll knock it off my list. Hopefully when I've had time to check out the options I can put a formal list up for everyones future reference. And I agree with you I don't like stealth freeware either.

BTW I had a quick play with the Linux offering I mentioned earlier - it looks quite good although I still haven't had time to put any serious files through it (a quick SD file worked nicely, the full size HD movie gave a message saying to install more things so still got to check that out). However it didn't make anything explode so it's here http://lives.sourceforge.net/index.php?do=screenshots2 (Linux Video Editing System - LiVES) if anyone wants to try it out with their samples. As I'd said it comes with software already included and for video you get AVIDemux, Cinelerra, KDenLive, LiVES and Openshot as well as VLC player, Handbrake and a few other utilities thrown in. I gave AVI Demux a quick spin but haven't had time to see if it has the same audio lag problems I found when I tried the windows version. Anyway the search continues...

I've just experimented with an episode of DCI Banks (2.5GB) using Freemake. I was using my old Tosh laptop (dual-core, 1.6GHz, no graphics acceleration), wired connection to the Hummy and 802.11n wireless to the Tosh.
Time to download/decrypt using Opt+ option in webif: 7.5 minutes. (Note: I think this is much quicker that any process involving copying to usb.)
Time to top/tail file and edit out 3 ad breaks with Freemake: 7 minutes.
Time to encode file to 720p .mp4 with h264 and AAC audio(approx 1GB): 70 minutes (I want an i5!)
When copied back to the Hummy, the file plays perfectly with full transport control. However, if encoded to .mkv, instead of .mp4, using exactly the same parameters, it does not play - the Hummy seems to have issues with the mkv container.

How did you select these settings - it doesn't sound like one of the pre-sets. I am a bit dozy when it comes to the nitty gritty of digital video (but then it is rather complicated, with codecs, containers, pixel aspect ratios etc etc). I did create a custom profile, which was 720x576 mp4 - is that the same as 720p effectively?

On balance, I am quite liking Freemake, since my previous "workflow" for converting ts files off the HDR uses about 4 or 5 different bits of software and whilst reliable, is a huge pain. Plus I couldn't do HD files my "old" way.

How did you select these settings - it doesn't sound like one of the pre-sets. I am a bit dozy when it comes to the nitty gritty of digital video (but then it is rather complicated, with codecs, containers, pixel aspect ratios etc etc). I did create a custom profile, which was 720x576 mp4 - is that the same as 720p effectively?

On balance, I am quite liking Freemake, since my previous "workflow" for converting ts files off the HDR uses about 4 or 5 different bits of software and whilst reliable, is a huge pain. Plus I couldn't do HD files my "old" way.

720p is 1280 x 720 progressive normally at 50fps. 720 x 576 is standard SD 576i normally at 25fps (50 fields/second interlaced)

I selected the .mp4 HD 720p preset. This has mp3 stereo as the default audio, so I clicked the 'Edit preset' button (the little cogwheel) and selected AAC/As original in the audio section.

720x576 is not the same as 720p - it's actually DVD quality. For 720p you need the vertical size to be 720, i.e. 1280x720.

I'm sure a purist would find Freemake too limited. It's a bit like using a point-and-shoot camera instead of a DSLR. It is quick and easy, though, and produces results that look fine to my eye.

OK, thanks for that Fenlander.

I have just tried converting 23 minutes of random crud off BBC HD into 720p mp4 (which took 46 minutes doing two-pass on my 3 year old quad core AMD Phenom (2.2GHz) with 4GB RAM). It seemed to use all four cores (although there's some cause to suspect Freemake can use CUDA and I have an Nvidia GPU which is CUDA capable - not sure).

But anyway, the resulting video was unwatchable - it was like all the frames were jumbled up with their near neighbours. Weird. I'll have to try some SD and see if that works OK. The "source" ts file plays fine in Splash Player. Oh well...

Thanks everyone for posting your testing results - it looks like Freemake is getting closer to a proven solution but could I ask a favour please that the posts confirm what software was being used at the time. I am working through some of the other free solutions out there so I want to keep track of what is what for when I can compile some sort of summary.

On that note I played with the Linux bootup solution I'd found and there is one option on there (Openshot) that was allowing me to work on HD files. Albeit only a couple of minutes long but it did allow joining and removing of chunks, and saving back to MP4 (H264) format. Unfortunately it took btw 10-15 mins to export a 2 minute clip and when I tried to play it in VLC I only got the sound. But I am starting with the highest settings (as I'm in HD land) - maybe I'll start low and work up until the quality seems right. I'm optimistic about this one so far in terms of getting HD in there and editing it but I need to work on much bigger files to really prove it.

I also tried the Lives package on an HD sample - that was a good frame by frame editor however it took ages to load up even a 90 second clip as it seems to be importing each individual frame at a snails pace. Once it had imported though the selection and cutting method was pretty reasonable.

Hi Guys,

First post on Hummy.tv so 'Hi!' to all! :) Been following for some time and read pretty much everything there is on the HDR FOX T2. LOL

Now, I'm writing 'cause I've got a problem with all of my HD files and am properly stuck!

A little background:

Bought HDR-FOX-T2 1TB June'11
Started playing up 'bout a week ago - picture freezing while playing back recorded 'stuff' whilst recording 'stuff'.
Humax replaced the box...I think you know where this is going...
I backed-up all the programmes on the old box and transferred them to the new box, via a USB HDD. Obviously, they wouldn't play , so I took all the .hmt files and ran them through Foxy and then copied (via OPT+) all the programmes over to the HDD I had plugged into the back of the HDR-FOX-T2 1TB. Now, the SD files can be played back and obviously, no-go with the HD ones. I have transfered the unencrypted HD files (yup, from within the Humax media interface they are not showing the ENC graphic, just the HD graphic) over to the PC for transcoding into something that I can playback.

Problem is, I cannot open these files in ANY third party software I have tried so far - everything from tsMuxer, VLC (will not even play the files), VideReDo, Freemake, Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate, etc. Actually, VideoReDo has given me the best clue as to where the problem may lie - it returns an error of 'No PMT (Map Tables) found in this transport stream'. I assume that is because of the way the Humax encodes/records these .ts files? Oh yeah, the only info MediaInfo returns is that the file is 'BDAV' and 'No PAT/PMT', which follows the error reported by VideoReDo.

Anyhow, I have a question...

I'm running the official Humax 1.02.20 and have been toying with the idea of installing the modified software, mainly because of one package - auto-unprotect. The question is, does 'auto-unprotect' do something more than Foxy, thus allowing you guys to playback/edit/transcode HD files recorded by the HDR-FOX-T2?

Bit of a long-winded first post, huh... ;)

P.S. I've spent approx. 20hrs on this, excluding file transfer times, and it's doing my head in... :confused: LOL

I'm thinking of just deleting the whole lot and getting on with my life! :D

So, any and all help will be most appreciated!

The only device that can decrypt the files is the original box. If you backed up the files to a hard disk using the on-screen menus to do it, then the SD programmes will have been decrypted on the way but the HD ones would have been copied as-is. Without the original box you can't decrypt them now as each box has its own unique set of keys.
Foxy just removes the flag that stops them being decrypted during a copy. Copying them now probably attempts to decrypt them with your new boxes key, but that doesn't get you back to the original content, sorry.

Thanks guys for the quick reply!

Yeah, a little part of me thought the original box had a part to play in the proceedings. I really should have researched this beforehand, but, in my defence, Humax were so quick in replacing the box (37hrs, start-to-finish!?) and the copying process took 20 of those hours, that I didn't have much time to prepare.

All those hours...those hours of transferring to and fro...those hours trying to decrypt...trying to learn what was happening...all T-H-O-S-E...H-O-U-R-S... :(

LOL :D

As an aside, does 'auto-unprotect' do anything differently to Foxy, aside from periodic checking for new files to decrypt?

Thanks again! :)

lol!

As an aside, does 'auto-unprotect' do anything differently to Foxy, aside from periodic checking for new files to decrypt?
Yes, there are other parameters to get right in order to stream HiDef across a network without invoking another form of protection called DTCP. With that defeated, it becomes possible to stream to a PC (if only we had a suitable client), or to download the file across the network directly.

Probably been asked before, but unprotect sometimes misses the odd file for reasons best known to itself. If I use the "Clear ENC" option on webif's OPT+ button, does it just clear the ENC flag (like Foxy), or does it clear everything (like unprotect)?

Probably been asked before, but unprotect sometimes misses the odd file for reasons best known to itself. If I use the "Clear ENC" option on webif's OPT+ button, does it just clear the ENC flag (like Foxy), or does it clear everything (like unprotect)?

We're getting further off topic for this thread, but it just clears the Enc flag. However, unprotect shouldn't ever miss a DLNA index entry (which is the only other thing it does) due to the way it works.

xyz321 has produced a superb upgrade for auto-unprotect btw which should see the end of files being missed...

Back