HDR Fox T2 File ts Editing

oijonesey

Hummy.tv SEO Guru
Re-Edit 01/11/11 - sorry for the confusion but the findings of this thread had exceeded the space available to write them up so there is now a page on the Wiki http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Editing_HDR_Recordings summarising all the findings covered in this thread. We can continue to monitor tests and new releases here and use the Wiki to keep the outcomes. Hope people find this useful.

The Wiki now also has sections to cover off Converting and Re-Authoring files - SME's for these sections wanted!

(I've tried to re-create my original post below after the end got chopped off in later edits)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All, Can anyone recommend something to help me do simple trims on the standard ts files I get off the Humax HDR Fox T2? I've tried numerous options as follows Easy Video Splitter - wont recognise the ts files to load Power Video Cutter - lost the audio in the cut version Ultra Video splitter - also lost the audio in the cut version H264Cutter - b******ered up my windows had to system restore! avidemux - even with the audio offset the audio is always behind the video pinnacle video spin - didn't like the file types (and loads up some sort of P2P client? boo!) I have seen VideoReDo but it's a $99 dollar license (about £40 ish [edit £60 ish]) so that's putting me off a bit although I don't mind paying for software but I don't need all the fancy bells and whistles. I don't need to convert, demux, remux or indeed anything-mux! All I want to do is take the standard .ts files on the Humax and trim the adverts from the start and the ends of my Fireman Sam and Roary the Racer collection!!! Anyone got any recomendations? Thanks, Jonesey

Applications Trialled To Date
  • Easy Video Splitter - free - wont recognise the ts files to load
  • Power Video Cutter - lost the audio in the cut version
  • Ultra Video splitter - also lost the audio in the cut version
  • H264Cutter - b******ered up my windows had to system restore!
  • Avidemux - free - even with the audio offset the audio is always behind the video. Doesn't like HD files
  • Pinnacle video spin - didn't like the file types (and loads up some sort of P2P client? boo!)
  • Please see the Wiki for the latest full list

Project X will do this for you, but it's not the easiest thing to use...

Project X will do this for you, but it's not the easiest thing to use...

Thanks af123 - but I didn't even understand how to get it installed let alone work out how to use it (compiling binaries and Java stuff are all words I recognise but not in the order they were used in the readme file ha ha :)). Not to worry I'm a firm believer in the fact that everything I want is out there - sometimes it just takes longer to find!

Since when was $99 only £40? More like £70 by my reckoning.

I have Serif MoviePlus X5, not tried it yet but I'm hoping it will tackle SD and HD.

Since when was $99 only £40? More like £70 by my reckoning.

Oops sorry BH maths and typing (or computers!!:)) never my strong subject - I googled it this morning and it's about £60 BUT having had a try at VideoRedo Plus last night I can see why people recommend it. It did exactly what I wanted - load up a copied via usb ts file (SD admittedly), mark the start and end points of the episode (frame by frame selector as well as drag the timebar), click the trim button and save the file with a new name. A 10 minute Fireman Sam trimmed and resaved in a couple of minutes start to finish - as the meerkat would say simples!!

The VideoRedo site does say that the plus version can do ts files and HD but I kept getting a message about a missing PAT file (?) so I need to do a proper attempt and make sure I've definately removed the ENC flag and copied off by USB, etc etc. If that still doesn't work I'll test drive the Suite version.

Given that it's mainly the kids shows I want to edit, and they are only in SD I might go with this for now and worry about upgrading to the full suite later (if the 15minute trial limitation isn't time capped I might be able to just stick with the eval version!!).

Be interested to see what you find out about the MoviePlus package before I commit to a solution

Cheers

Jonesey

Oops sorry BH maths and typing (or computers!!:)) never my strong subject - I googled it this morning and it's about £60 BUT having had a try at VideoRedo Plus last night I can see why people recommend it. It did exactly what I wanted - load up a copied via usb ts file (SD admittedly), mark the start and end points of the episode (frame by frame selector as well as drag the timebar), click the trim button and save the file with a new name. A 10 minute Fireman Sam trimmed and resaved in a couple of minutes start to finish - as the meerkat would say simples!!

The VideoRedo site does say that the plus version can do ts files and HD but I kept getting a message about a missing PAT file (?) so I need to do a proper attempt and make sure I've definately removed the ENC flag and copied off by USB, etc etc. If that still doesn't work I'll test drive the Suite version.

Given that it's mainly the kids shows I want to edit, and they are only in SD I might go with this for now and worry about upgrading to the full suite later (if the 15minute trial limitation isn't time capped I might be able to just stick with the eval version!!).

Be interested to see what you find out about the MoviePlus package before I commit to a solution

Cheers

Jonesey

Try running the HD file through TSmuxerGUI and output as a mts file. See what videredo makes of it. If that fails use Tools/Options/Video Parameters and try ticking Ignore Transport Stream maps.

If still no good contact VR customer support (they are very helpfull). Some years ago I tried VR with Topfield ,rec files and it would not work. Within a day or two Beta released that not only read Toppy .rec files but would write them as well with the custom headings.

Try running the HD file through TSmuxerGUI and output as a mts file. See what videredo makes of it. If that fails use Tools/Options/Video Parameters and try ticking Ignore Transport Stream maps.

If still no good contact VR customer support (they are very helpfull). Some years ago I tried VR with Topfield ,rec files and it would not work. Within a day or two Beta released that not only read Toppy .rec files but would write them as well with the custom headings.

Thanks for the info - I found the option to ignore the stream maps but that was when I was trying to tidy up the Roary the Racing Car collection (I do have kids honest guv!) and I got that message even though they were SD files. I realised I'd not done the copy to USB from the Hummy menu to invoke the decryption so that got me thinking maybe I'd not done a proper copy for the HD tester I was trying out. I've got af123's HMT utility running on the box as well as Raydons Foxy on the laptop so one way or another I ought to be able to get a clean HD file to try again tonight but if it still doesn't work I will try VideoRedo support as you suggest. Cheers, Jonesey

Video ReDo

After getting an HD sample file playing in VLC on my laptop I then had to raise a ticket with VRD support last night because I couldn't get the HD recording to load in any of their programs (I tried eval versions of VRD Plus, VRD TV Suite, VRD TV Suite H264 and even tried the beta version for good measure). All of them gave a message saying "MPEG Audio Layer 1 is not supported". Will update what they advise on here in case it's something that is fixable on the local machine rather than their software.

I don't have a box so can't play with HD files from the HDR FOX T2. If you wan't to upload a short clip to a File share site I will have a play. Have you tried remuxing the file with TSmuxerGUI to leave only the AAAC audio track ? (assuming it really has a mpeg audio track).

VR will likely ask for a short clip anyway.

Strange one this. I've used VideoRedo TVSuite H264 (v4.20.6.619) to successfully edit unencrypted HD video from HDR Fox T2.
Here's the mediainfo from a short clip which I can import into VideoRedo
Code:
General
ID                              : 4084
Complete name                    : D:\This Morning_20110502_1041.ts
Format                          : BDAV
Format/Info                      : BluRay Video
File size                        : 70.6 MiB
Duration                        : 1mn 2s
Overall bit rate                : 9 421 Kbps

Video
ID                              : 201 (0xC9)
Menu ID                          : 17604 (0x44C4)
Format                          : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                  : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC          : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Width                            : 1 440 pixels
Height                          : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio            : 16/9
Frame rate                      : 25.000 fps
Resolution                      : 24 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : MBAFF

Audio #1
ID                              : 202 (0xCA)
Format                          : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Video delay                      : -765ms
Language                        : English

Audio #2
ID                              : 206 (0xCE)
Video delay                      : -284ms
Language, more info              : Visual impaired commentary

Text
ID                              : 205 (0xCD)
Format                          : DVB Subtitles

Menu
ID                              : 200 (0xC8)
Format                          : AVC / AAC / DVB Subtitles / AAC
List                            : 201 (0xC9) (AVC) / 202 (0xCA) (AAC, eng) / 205 (0xCD) (DVB Subtitles, eng) / 206 (0xCE) (AAC, eng)
Language                        :  / eng / eng / eng

Would be interested to see similar info from the clip that gave the error, or as Graham suggested, upload the clip to a fileshare host.
Get mediainfo from http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

ASPECT RATIO ISSUES

Using Raydon's excellent Foxy and following his advice, I too am using VideoRedo TV suite to edit the unencrypted HD ts files. I do need to reencode the audio as my Sony BDV-E370 does not like the native format, but the video is not re-encoded (exactly what I wanted).

You'll notice from Raydon's mediainfo above that the resolution of broadcast of HD is 1440x1080 (i.e 4:3) but the display aspect ratio is 16:9. i.e. anamorphic.

The problem is, no matter what I do I can't get the transport stream files to play in widescreen through the BluRay player. It's ALWAYS 4:3 (I believe I've tried every option offered). Yet the same file on a USB stick played back through the Hummy (i.e. so that the Hummy thinks this is a recording made by someone else) *does* display in widescreen.

The only way I can get VideoRedo to do this is with a complete reencode of the video which takes hours and completely defeats the object I am trying to achieve.

I've spent days trawling through websites for a solution but can't find one. Any ideas?

BTW I'm using VIdeoRed TV Suite 4.20.6.619

Use TSmuxerGUI to create a bluray or AVCHD folder (up to 1 hr or so will fit on a standard DVD blank, double on a dual layer). Burn the folder using IMGburn using udf2.50. These will play in HD on a blu-ray player. Without a BD burner you will have to chop longer content into smaller chunks to use standard dvd blanks.

ASPECT RATIO ISSUES [snip]
I'm talking off the top of my head here, but just in case it points somebody in the right direction...

I used an analogue PVR to record the widescreen from a digibox SCART output, and of course when I came to use the digitised files they displayed in 4:3 all squashed up. What I had to do was correct the metadata in the file to say 16:9 instead of 4:3 - I found a utility on the Web which would scan the file and make the necessary substitutions.

This might not be anything to do with your problem!

What I had to do was correct the metadata in the file to say 16:9 instead of 4:3 - I found a utility on the Web which would scan the file and make the necessary substitutions.

VideoRedo reckons that it is 16:9 in the metadata. Trouble is I don;t have any way of confirming this.
I have used DVDPaatcher to correct such issues on SD mpg and VOB files.
Black Hole, what was the name of the utility you used, and will it work with HD?[/quote]

No idea about HD, and I'll have to have a dig for the utility..........

Right: it is DVD Patcher and it only works on MPG/MPG2, so I guess it's no good for HD.

"raydon, post: 3269"]Would be interested to see similar info from the clip that gave the error, or as Graham suggested, upload the clip to a fileshare host.
Get mediainfo from http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Here is the media info data for my file

Code:
General
ID                              : 16515 (0x4083)
Complete name                    : C:\Wimbledon 2011_20110622_1738.ts
Format                          : BDAV
Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video
File size                        : 54.4 MiB
Duration                        : 1mn 10s
Overall bit rate                : 6 469 Kbps

Video
ID                              : 6601 (0x19C9)
Menu ID                          : 17540 (0x4484)
Format                          : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                  : [EMAIL]High@L4.0[/EMAIL]
Format settings, CABAC          : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP            : M=8, N=24
Codec ID                        : 27
Width                            : 1 440 pixels
Height                          : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio            : 16:9
Frame rate                      : 25.000 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling              : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : MBAFF
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics        : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio #1
ID                              : 6602 (0x19CA)
Format profile                  : LC
Muxing mode                      : LATM
Codec ID                        : 17
Channel(s)                      : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                : Lossy
Delay relative to video          : -904ms

Audio #2
ID                              : 6606 (0x19CE)
Format profile                  : HE-AAC / LC
Muxing mode                      : LATM
Codec ID                        : 17
Channel(s)                      : 1 channel
Channel positions                : Front: C
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Compression mode                : Lossy
Delay relative to video          : -560ms
Language, more info              : Visual impaired commentary

This has been sent to VRD support (along with a log file that they asked me for). They were surprised I got the error so I'm wondering if it's something to do with my machine. I have installed all their release software at once if that might make a difference (i.e. VRD plus, VRD Suite (& H264) and the beta trying to find what works on what version so could that be something to do with it? I've also installed quite a few packages over the last few weeks while trying to make my decision so there could be a lot of media related stuff installed on top of each other. The likelyhood is I'm gonna run out of trial time before I can suss this out so not sure where I'll go after that. Might just get the Plus version for now as the stuff I want to edit is not in HD anyway. Any advice will as always be gratefully received. Jonesey[/quote]

Back