HDR-Fox T2 forgets all channels on standby

Pixel Eyes

I recently sold a spare HDR-Fox T2 to a friend. It had been stored unplugged for a few months but prior to that had been running fine for me on Customised Firmware. However, she finds that it loses all channel information each time it is switched to standby (regardless of the power saving setting). Performing an automatic search gets all the channels back.

I am worried that this indicates a serious hardware fault. However, as the problem only started when my friend acquired the box, could it have anything to do with the move to its new home in the Midlands from the North West?

Did you have Tunefix installed ? This, maybe, removes the channels on start up or the preferred region is incorrect...

Tunefix config. and binary are in the flash, so formatting the disk isn't going to clear it.
The contents of /tmp/xinit.log will say definitely whether this is indeed the problem.

She is going on holiday now so I won't be able to follow these suggestions for a week or two. Thanks for the advice.

I assume that it is - that's why I recommended steps to remove the CF (in the absence of any way to disable just tunefix).

Hmm, I'm musing about a mod. to tunefix to stop it acting on the Preferred Region setting if applying it would result in there being 0 channels left.
My brain's not working very well in the heat though.

Hmm, I'm musing about a mod. to tunefix to stop it acting on the Preferred Region setting if applying it would result in there being 0 channels left.
Maybe disabling itself from running if no channels/muxes of the Preferred Region are present. That would cover temporary moves, not that they are likely to be common, but still allow 0 channels if the only PR muxes in sight were just cr4p (from the user's pov).

How about looking for a "[DISABLE TUNEFIX]" flag folder in My Photos? That could become a convention for package authors, like the "ignore contents of [* folders" convention.

Can you create this from the SUI? It's likely to be, as the case of the OP (and someone else in another thread) that when they find they have no channels, they also possibly have no network connection either. As surely, if you have network access, uninstalling tunefix would do the job?
I like the auto suggestion that if it is going to leave no tuned mpxs, then don't run it. But how do you know it's going to do that without running it? But Mike's observation also seems relevant.

Last edited:
and it could be where [modsettings] is too.
I think [modsettings] should go completely and be replaced with a web-based configuration screen like wot the Foxsat CFW has. I just haven't got around to talking to Drutt about it yet!

The reason for [modsettings] was to make it configurable via the SUI, and I actually do that. Not that I couldn't use the WebIF for it if necessary.

I'm musing about a mod. to tunefix to stop it acting on the Preferred Region setting if applying it would result in there being 0 channels left.
Muse completed (along with coding and testing) and tunefix 1.6.0 released to prevent it from deleting all services when you've forgotten to change the config. before moving regions.

Maybe disabling itself from running if no channels/muxes of the Preferred Region are present.
That's essentially what I've done now.
That would cover temporary moves, not that they are likely to be common, but still allow 0 channels if the only PR muxes in sight were just cr4p (from the user's pov).
I don't think 0 channels is useful at all. Better to have some cr@p than no perfection. 0 might also lead people into believing the tuners were duff when they're not.
How about looking for a "[DISABLE TUNEFIX]" flag folder in My Photos?
Not keen.
That could become a convention for package authors
Not my job to set conventions. :notworthy:

My friend is back from holiday now and I just want to check what she will need to do. Does post #3 still apply, or will simply upgrading to tunefix 1.6.0 solve the problem?

Back