HDR-FOX T2 HDD cloning

If when you say throughput you mean data transfer speed it makes no difference that I have noticed when moving things around on the LAN.

Since I very rarely watch anything live, my boxes are set to turn on to a data channel so that the TSR is not used, reducing disk noise and increasing available throughput. Depending on how you use the box, that would be worth considering here.
If when you say throughput you mean data transfer speed it makes no difference that I have noticed when moving things around on the LAN.
The HDR's Ethernet is limited to 100Mb/s (and practically much less), so you won't see much difference from that point of view. af123 was talking about reducing the idle workload on the HDD by avoiding TSR buffer activity (which you can disable temporarily, or simply tune to a data channel such as 250 when idle because that doesn't use the buffer), which obviously results in more disk bandwidth available for other tasks and faster response/completion of transfer requests (where the HDR's processing capability is probably the bottleneck).

Using an SSD removes one of the pros of running 24/7 - power cycling the HDD reduces its life (my 24/7 drives are the originals from 2010). Not so with an SDD, but you still have to consider the power cycling stress on the other HDR components (which are not as easy to replace as a HDD).

Many of us routinely run non-recording tasks such as file serving, decryption, MP3 extraction, ad break detection and removal, etc etc etc, all of which require our units to not be in standby for longer than just recording and playback. Also, it's much more convenient to be routinely running through the HDR's tuner than the TV's tuner - it avoids having to power up and switch sources when you realise you want to record something.

Last edited:
Is it? Engineering practice is to assume worst case, and anyway we know there are a significant number of users who do prefer 24/7 (even if it is on a data channel for much of that time).
What you are describing is engineering practice to determine a minimum service life. It is also common to try and determine a typical service life which is what I was attempting to do.

Don't fall into the common trap of assuming your usage pattern is the common usage pattern
That is a prime example of pot calling the kettle black. You are notorious for giving advice based on YOUR usage Patterns.

I simply don't believe anything close to a majority of users leave the PVRs on 24 hours a day.

I agree the reduced thermal cycling will be beneficial to the life of the device but I would need more than your word to believe that anything over 10% of typical users leave the PVR on 24 hours a day.

If I were going to hazard a guess, I don't think I would come up with 12h per day... how do you arrive at that?

Plucked out of thin air. My usage pattern is probably the PVR on for 15 hours a day. People who are out at work probably only have it on for no more than 8 hours; some people have them on for 24 hours. 12 hours was my attempt at a pessimistic user average usage.

I have to say that, for £27 it's definitely worth a punt.
We agree on that much and I do hope the user keeps us updated.

I wouldn't expect any difference to LAN transfer. SSDs have a potential performance advantage when reading and writing but the standard rotating drive is fast enough anyway and the write speed advantage of an SSD will, I suspect, be lost because the kernel on the Humax won't support TRIM or other SSD optimisations.

That is a prime example of pot calling the kettle black. You are notorious for giving advice based on YOUR usage Patterns.
No it isn't. I am always careful not to suggest how common my practices might be. That doesn't mean I can't explain why I do what I do and what advantages or disadvantages there are.

Words to avoid without supporting evidence: most; usual; common (etc) - none of which can be established based on a sample of 1. It is human nature to assume one is in the majority, therefore most people do what you do, but that is a fallacy.

Plucked out of thin air.
There you go.

I agree the reduced thermal cycling will be beneficial to the life of the device but I would need more than your word to believe that anything over 10% of typical users leave the PVR on 24 hours a day.
Show me where I suggested anything of the sort. All I was saying is that those of us that do 24/7 (and I can name a few based on forum posts) will clock up 10,000 hours per year. I said nothing about what percentage of users that might be.

No it isn't. I am always careful not to suggest how common my practices might be.
I am sorry but you do. I will be careful to call you out each time you do it in future.

Words to avoid without supporting evidence: most; usual; common (etc) - none of which can be established based on a sample of 1. It is human nature to assume one is in the majority, therefore most people do what you do, but that is a fallacy.
The point I was trying to make was that for the majority of users your assumption of 24 hour a day usage was unreasonable.

All I was saying is that those of us that do 24/7 (and I can name a few based on forum posts) will clock up 10,000 hours per year. I said nothing about what percentage of users that might be.
So your observation isn't very relevant in a general discussion; it is just reflecting your pattern of usage.

Back