HDR-FOX T2 HDD Replacement

That looks as though it should work from the specification but I am not clear where the 12V power supply is coming from? Usually it is a separate supply as USB won't supply enough a power.
It has a mains powered adapter.
, so gets all voltages required.

The new version worked OK .... recordings copying across.
Very slow though ..... been copying for 18 Hrs (let it run overnight) and only around 1/3rd done so far.

USB 2 supports up to 480MB/s so 'could' be much better, assuming read/write and a huge amount of handshaking is taking place.
Around 255 GB transferred and taken 18 HRS .... which is less than 5MB/s
Nothing I can do about it ..... but does seem very slow transfer for available interface speed.

USB 2 supports up to 480MB/s so 'could' be much better, assuming read/write and a huge amount of handshaking is taking place.
Nothing I can do about it ..... but does seem very slow transfer for available interface speed.
I'm sure I have explained the expected transfer speeds very recently. Just because USB2 is theoretically capable of 480Mbps (note: "b" not "B" - B means bytes), doesn't mean the actual particular hardware can sustain that kind of data rate. The limitation could be at either end, but in this case I assure you it is the HDR-FOX that is slugging the transfer. That's why I recommended the PC as a faster option (by SATA2 - but even by USB would be faster on a PC).

In this very thread:
You can expect about 200MB/min.
By my fag-packet reckoning, 255GB/18hours ≈︎ 200MB/min.

By calculator: 255GiB/18hours = 242MiB/min.

480Mbps = 3600MB/min, so it's running about 1/15 max theoretical.

Last edited:
No you are getting confused between bits and bytes. Maximum USB2 speed 480 Mb/s (Mega bits) ie 60MB/s. The chipset the Humax uses isn't capable of the maximum speed.
I would say that was pretty typical but on the positive side if it has run for 18 hours without any intervention which is pretty good going.

Last edited:
Hello, looking to get a new HD and only need max 1tb, does anyone have a link to a known working hard drive, I see Skyhawk is an option.

Why wouldn't it? Anyone can see it ticks all the boxes:

Summary: 3½", SATA2, 5900rpm, "PVR", "surveillance", "CE", or "AV".

As of now, with the general unavailability of Seagate Pipelines, the current front runners as alternatives seem to be:
  • Western Digital Purple*

• Seagate SkyHawk

...and we are unable to suggest any alternatives.

If you are wary about ordering on-line you should stick to well-regarded retailers with known bricks-and-mortar establishments (but even then you have to be careful to check you are not fooled into clicking on a bogus site), and use a mainstream payment method with independent dispute resolution***. Religiously following a few simple rules should keep you pretty safe however:
  1. Does the advertiser display proper contact details on the website (phone number and postal address)? If these don't appear on the page itself, check the "About Us" or "Contact Us" pages. Be very cautious if they only want to be contacted online.

2. If this is a trader previously unknown to you, google for any queries about reputation. Dissatisfied customers will let their feelings known on forums and review sites. You shouldn't automatically believe everything you read, but is it worth saving a couple of quid by ordering from a seller with a bad reputation, with the risk you might end up dissatisfied yourself?

3. Does the advertised product meet all your requirements? Too many people fail to check all the details. Assume nothing. If a specification is not stated, you can't complain if that requirement is not met.

4. Is the price realistic? Be very suspicious if a price is too low... or too high (some people will buy an expensive item because they think it must be better!). If the price is "too good to be true" it could mean a trap - they're off-loading outdated or duff stock perhaps.

5. Check the delivery charges and the expected delivery date. Make sure they don't suddenly change when placing the order.
(content moved into main post for maintainability)

Last edited:
Back