HDR-Fox T2 keeps resetting to factory settings

OK I managed to get in using putty. So here are the results of the sqlite queries.
1. Before setting favourites:
Code:
humax# sqlite3 /var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db ".dump tbl_fav"
PRAGMA foreign_keys=OFF;
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE TBL_FAV (  [favIdx] INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT UNIQUE  ,[hSvc] integer(4)   ,[eFavGroup] integer(4) , [eSvcType] integer(4));
COMMIT;
humax#

2. After setting favourites:
Code:
PRAGMA foreign_keys=OFF;
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE TBL_FAV (  [favIdx] INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT UNIQUE  ,[hSvc] integer(4)   ,[eFavGroup] integer(4) , [eSvcType] integer(4));
INSERT INTO TBL_FAV VALUES(1,458893,1,1);
INSERT INTO TBL_FAV VALUES(2,458892,1,1);
INSERT INTO TBL_FAV VALUES(3,458894,1,1);
INSERT INTO TBL_FAV VALUES(4,458895,1,1);
INSERT INTO TBL_FAV VALUES(5,458896,1,1);
INSERT INTO TBL_FAV VALUES(6,131099,1,1);
COMMIT;
humax#

3. After rebooting:
Code:
PRAGMA foreign_keys=OFF;
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
COMMIT;
humax#

Not sure how to check nugget status/nugget ping - could please explain?

I also notice the the remote control from the web IF no longer works - I can only control the box using the Humax remote

Not sure how to check nugget status/nugget ping - could please explain?
The same way as you did the sqlite3 command - type it in or copy/paste!
I also notice the the remote control from the web IF no longer works - I can only control the box using the Humax remote
Sounds to me like you need to run diag fix-flash-packages and reboot.

Do you have auto-schedule-restore installed? Try uninstalling it (even if temporarily).

The CF sounds broken.
Sorry - CF???

Code:
nugget status
and
Code:
nugget ping
both give a response of
Code:
Can't connect to nugget, No such file or directory.

I've run
Code:
diag fix-flash-packages
and rebooted. I then restored my scheduled recordings and rebooted - they were all restored OK. My favourites also remained intact. I then rebooted again....both schedule and favourites remain intact. I'm continuing to get "Temperature 50 exceeds alert threshold 50" messages, but sysmon indicates periods when the fan is on (either full, half or quarter). I've increased the minimum fan speed to 90% (it was 80%), to see if I can get rid of the temperature alerts.

Will now keep a close eye on things....

but sysmon indicates periods when the fan is on (either full, half or quarter). I've increased the minimum fan speed to 90% (it was 80%), to see if I can get rid of the temperature alerts.
Have you actually got the fan to work then? Post #18 indicates otherwise. No point in fiddling with fan speed if the fan is not going. And what temp does sysmon report for the disk.

Have you actually got the fan to work then? Post #18 indicates otherwise. No point in fiddling with fan speed if the fan is not going. And what temp does sysmon report for the disk.
Yes the fan started working last night, after I set the fan speed to 80% and followed prpr's suggestions (thanks!) - i.e. diag fix-flash-packages and uninstalling auto-schedule-restore.
My sysmon history shows the HDD operating above 50 degrees constantly for the last 5 days, then dipping below 40 degrees after those changes last night. It's currently running at a constant 37 degrees (for the last 2 hours). So it's not clear whether the fan failure was caused by a problem with the custom firmware all along, or whether the original fan was in fact defective and the resulting overheating caused a failure in the custom firmware.
So far everything still seems to be normal (after 12 hours), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. In the intervening period I had begun to explore potential replacement PVR boxes, but none of the newer Humaxes seem to match up to the T2 with custom firmware :0(

none of the newer Humaxes seem to match up to the T2 with custom firmware
Correct, and I doubt anything ever will again except an open-source Linux box or something.
I can't see any PVR manufacturer allowing the user customisation of the product in the future. (With no evidence whatsoever) I suspect that the usual American and UK bodies (eg. MPAA and FACT) have leant on the manufacturers to prevent 'piracy'. That probably has the knock-on effect of preventing customisation.
As BH hints, the only way around it would be to make your own PVR - providing the TV cards are available and they return unencrypted data to the user.

, but sysmon indicates periods when the fan is on (either full, half or quarter)
Sysmon reports when the fan should be on according to the standard Humax defaults but it doesn't know if it is actually running.
Since the Humax defaults don't turn on the fan before it reaches 55degrees you will always get temperature alerts on the disk unless you use the fan package (and it it is actually operating and doesnt require diag fix-flash-packages )

As BH hints, the only way around it would be to make your own PVR - providing the TV cards are available and they return unencrypted data to the user.

I have an EyeTV DTV-T2 dongle in the back of my iMac which records both standard and high definition programmes unencrypted. I'd be surprised if similarly featured hardware wasn't available from other vendors.

(The recording software that is supplied by the current owner of the EyeTV brand is OK-ish - in that it does actually record things from a schedule - but it doesn't have true PVR features like series record, and they don't seem to be all that interested in keeping it up to date. The latest release has some non-trivial bugs, so I'm having to run a previous version and put up with update messages every few days, and MacOS keeps telling me that it won't be compatible with the next release of the operating system :( )

The recording software that is supplied by the current owner of the EyeTV brand is OK-ish
You're lucky. The software supplied by Hauppauge wouldn't work on my computer. Blagged a different piece of software that will record from a schedule, but has no series link, split programmes or similar. Even worse, it takes no notice of the LCN and assigns random numbers to the channels. Otherwise it does the job. :rolleyes:

I did dabble with this a few years ago. I have a media centre PC dual-booting WIndows 10 and Ubuntu, with a Blackgold DVB-T2 tuner card. NextPVR was the best Windows option I could find at the time (I think I struggled to try to get MythTV working but never managed it). It could do the basics, but every few weeks the EPG would stop downloading and would require fixing/re-configuring. Also the machine would frequently sit thrashing away on the HDD for 20 minutes after resuming from sleep, making it very annoying and bordering on un-usable.
I could never get Ubuntu to work with the Blackgold card, and found the Ubuntu forums no help at all unless you were running the latest version of Ubuntu. There's an implicit assumption there that all Ubuntu users always eagerly migrate to the latest version as soon as it's available, and are happy to devote hours to fixing the problems that it brings. I don't think "backwards compatibility" is a part of the Linux vocabulary :0(

I don't think "backwards compatibility" is a part of the Linux vocabulary
it certainly isn't part of Micro$oft's, who seems to go out of their way to build in incompatibility (c.f. the driver model, which seems to change with every release and effectively obsoletes perfectly good hardware).

it certainly isn't part of Micro$oft's, who seems to go out of their way to build in incompatibility (c.f. the driver model, which seems to change with every release and effectively obsoletes perfectly good hardware).
Too damned right! If I update my computer at least two pieces of hardware (video capture and sound card) will be unusable because there are no drivers for "modern" versions of Windows. :mad:

Back