HDR-FOX T2 No Multi-channel sound via Optical output

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
One of my HDR's seems to have lost the multi-channel sound output via optical cable to my amp. If I change the Digital Audio Output to Stereo, the sound returns, but is only flagged as Stereo. If I change it back to Multi-channel, the sound goes again.

The sound output via HDMI to my TV still works with the HDR set to Multi-channel, or Stereo.

I have rebooted the HDR, and powered it off via the rear switch, this has made no difference. I have power cycled my amp as well, also making no difference.

Clutching a straws a bit here, but I do seem to remember that Mute / Volume controls on the Humax affect digital audio outputs differently when switching between Stereo and Multi-channel, so I was wondering if mute was on or volume was set to very low, Just a thought

Volume control on the Humax has no effect on sound via optical output, but was set to full, and mute was not in use.

The issue was the same when watching recorded programmes, or live TV via the Humax.

Have you checked the optical cable.
With humax playing in DD multichannel mode.
Unplug cable from amp and see if there is any light showing through end of cable.
if not fault is either cable or humax.
If no light at end of cable then unplug it from humax and look in socket of humax, if there is no light showing problem is with humax, if light showingcable is problem.

If light is showing in both cases then fault is humax or amp.

Do you have option to connect to another optical receiver, e.g. TV. This might help prove whether problem is amp or humax.

Do you have a DVD with optical output, try this into same amp socket with same cable, does it work?
If not, problem is cable or amp.
Try different cable with DVD, if it still does not work, problem most likely amp.
If it does work then problem most likely Humax

Basically, you are narrowing down the source of the problem (Humax, optical cable and/or amp).
Hopefully not a double whammy though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, the optical cable is working OK, as the Humax Stereo output still works via my amp.

The optical cable is connected to a 3-way switch together with optical cables from my other HDR's.
Multi-channel sound is still working from those via the same optical input, so it seems as though the amp is OK.

I have tried a Factory Default, and even left the box powered off via the rear switch for a couple of hours, and there is no change.

That would not be easy to try, but I have tried swapping inputs on the switch with another HDR, the working one still works, and the other still doesn't.

One of my HDR's seems to have lost the multi-channel sound output via optical cable to my amp. If I change the Digital Audio Output to Stereo, the sound returns, but is only flagged as Stereo. If I change it back to Multi-channel, the sound goes again.

The sound output via HDMI to my TV still works with the HDR set to Multi-channel, or Stereo.

I have rebooted the HDR, and powered it off via the rear switch, this has made no difference. I have power cycled my amp as well, also making no difference.

Would an HDMI switch be better? Or an amp with more HDMI inputs? Just a thought. I replaced my Yamaha amp with an Onkyo to up the HDMI inputs from 2 to 8!

I also get better up-scaled SD video that way, by using the amp to output 1024p.

Would an HDMI switch be better? Or an amp with more HDMI inputs? Just a thought. I replaced my Yamaha amp with an Onkyo to up the HDMI inputs from 2 to 8!

I also get better up-scaled SD video that way, by using the amp to output 1024p.
I am already using an HDMI switch to connect my HDR's to my TV so that I can watch without having to turn my amp on.

I am already using an HDMI switch to connect my HDR's to my TV so that I can watch without having to turn my amp on.

What do you get on the optical out from your TV? Does your TV output what is input via HDMI?

The TV outputs 5.1 from its built in HD tuner, but only outputs stereo from items connected to its HDMI inputs.

The TV outputs 5.1 from its built in HD tuner, but only outputs stereo from items connected to its HDMI inputs.

Bummer! Looks like an RMA then. Unless an HDMI 1 input, 2 output connector exists!

Edit: They do! So bung one just before the TV input and feed an HDMI output to your Amp and another to the TV?

I have not checked yet to see if the Multi-channel sound is still working from the HDMI output, but will try to check it tomorrow.

Back