HDR Fox T2 random running of Wizard

Peso

Hello Everyone,

First some particulars Custom firmware version 2.22 (build 1905), Humax Version 1.03.12, WiFi from Edimax Dongle EW-7711USn.

I got a HDR T2 for my parents, the problem is at random times when turning it on it runs the Wizard. All setting have to be redone, channels searched and the schedule wiped.
I have installed the packages to stop the on screen popup to search for updates (disable-dso v0.2) and the one to block the over the air transmission (disable-ota v1.0.2). But it still happens. Twice in the last week.
Also, maybe related, it often looses the WiFi config when turned off. I set a static IP address, then next time it goes back to DHCP, then another time it complete forgets the router address and password.

If anyone can offer any pointers I would be most grateful. I'm contemplating re flashing the firmware, but only as a last resort.

Regards

That sounds like the settings database is being reset which could indicate a problem with the flash area used to store it. Have you tried doing a factory reset yourself? That will put you back into the wizard again but might solve the problem.

Thanks for the sharp response. Would that require me to reinstall the customer firmware too?

Just looking at the manual, does a factory reset mean you have to format the HDD? Lots of recordings on there...

No - the custom firmware won't be touched, nor will your recordings. You'll just have to rescan and change any settings. If a factory reset doesn't fix it then there are some other things we can try..

Hello af123
Did the factory reset. Set everything up again. Been turning it on and off and so far so good. I will keep an eye on it and report back if I have any further problems.
Really hope this has fixed it as the box with the custom firmware is an awesome machine.

Many thanks

Hi again af123,

Just to update you...
I am coming to the end of the visit with my parents. Since performing the Factory Reset on Monday I have turned the unit on and off a lot. I have not had any random running of the Wizard. The WiFi connection has also been rock solid and not once lost its configuration.
Your advice has done the trick. Many thanks again for your prompt help.

@Peso. How has your unit been behaving since the factory reset? I had a similar problem today. I randomly got the Wizard. I set everything back up including wireless. After rebooting it had lost the manual IP address I gave it and had gone back to DHCP. I rebooted again and got the Wizard again. It seems OK at the moment, so I'll do a factory reset and see how it goes.

Hi MontysEvilTwin.
Funnily enough I was actually going to update this this week.
Since the factory reset nearly 3 months ago it has been as good as gold. No wizard randomly starting and Wifi with static ip address never lost.
When initiating a reset there is a tick box about whether to format the HDD as well, so you can keep your recordings.

When initiating a reset there is a tick box about whether to format the HDD as well, so you can keep your recordings.
That is a recent innovation, I would be interested to know which firmware release brought it in. Previously the factory default operation did not format the HDD at all.

Since the factory reset nearly 3 months ago it has been as good as gold. No wizard randomly starting and Wifi with static ip address never lost.
Thanks for the reply. I did the factory reset (without HDD format). I'll keep an eye on it. It is good to know that doing this has kept your HDR-FOX wizard free for three months. I have heard of other people getting the wizard randomly on start-up. It seems a good idea to do a factory reset in these cases. It is quite quick. I quit the auto-tuning part and did a manual tune afterwards, and as I have custom firmware installed too it was easy to restore my recording schedule.

That is a recent innovation, I would be interested to know which firmware release brought it in. Previously the factory default operation did not format the HDD at all.
Isn't pesto referring to this option? in the original HDR Fox T2 manual :-

factory-default.jpg

If a factory reset doesn't fix it then there are some other things we can try.

I have had 4 wizards at switch on over the last month or so, no problems previously, I have tried the suggested factory reset but have still had the wizard again tonight.

The first time I had the wizard run was after a channel re-tune and a reboot to allow the recently installed tunefix to do its work. The next boot was when the wizard first ran.

Just in case it may be related to the tunefix package I have just carried out a force re-install.

Just out of interest what are the other things you were referring to ? That I may need to try.

Start by re-flashing the firmware (presumably, in your case, the CF - which includes the base Humax firmware these days). If that doesn't stop it AF will have to turn detective.

Thank you for your reply.

As you suggest I have re-flashed the CF and checked all my required packages are installed.
As I believe the packages are stored on the HDD I have also carried out a Diagnostics section fix-flash-packages just in case of any corruption and will see how that goes.

Back