HDR FOX T2 spontaneously re-booting and/or picture freezing

Watt Tyler

Been having lots of problems with my box during the last couple of weeks. All have been while watching live TV - not sure whether any recordings have been affected.

Typical symptoms are that TV screen will go blank, immediately followed by "HUMAX" in big letters, and the rest of the startup sequence. Then the picture eventually returns. It can sometimes do it several times within the space of a few minutes, causing annoying gaps in (mainly my wife's) viewing. The circular blue status light remains on throughout.

Then something different happened last night. The picture froze and remained on the screen but the sound carried on. It didn't respond to ANY remote control buttons - I had to switch it off at the switch at the back and start over.

Anyone experienced anything similar and/or have any ideas as to what's happening?

In case it's relevant, the software version is FHTCP 1.03.12 and loader version a7.33 - last updated on 07 FEB 2014.

If it's caused by the update, the symptoms didn't show up until a few weeks after the event!

Thanks,
WT

Been having lots of problems with my box during the last couple of weeks. All have been while watching live TV - not sure whether any recordings have been affected.
Is it plugged into a network? If so, I would bet that something on the network is upsetting it. Try unplugging it and see whether the trouble continues.

Is it plugged into a network? If so, I would bet that something on the network is upsetting it. Try unplugging it and see whether the trouble continues.
Yes, it is plugged into a network - but I rarely make use of the network - the occasional file transfer to my computer, or watching things via iPlayer on the TV.
What's the rationale behind your suggestion - is network activity a known issue? [It's no great hardship to unplug it, so I'll give it a try. But it's been connected to the nework for yonks. Why should it SUDDENLY start doing this?]

EDIT: The network connection is ethernet, using a powerline adaptor to connect to other network devices. I've just realised that the adaptor has been powered down whilst most of these problems have occurred - but the ethernet cable is still connected to it. Is that equivalent to NOT having an ethernet connection ('cos it clearly wouldn't have worked) or is there any possibility that having the ethernet port connected to a non-powered powerline adaptor could have caused the re-booting problems? [I've switched the mains back on, and it's run for a couple of hours without problem - but it's a a bit early to say that it's 'cured'!]

Thanks,
WT

Install the Custom Firmware. Telnet into the HDR and select option 1 from the menu (Restart into Maintenance Mode). After it has done so, Telnet back in again and select the first option (fix-disk). Sit back and have a cup of tea while it checks your HDD out.

Details are in the Wiki.

Edit in answer to your question: Twonky server v7.x is known to cause the HDRs to start a crash-reboot cycle. I recently purchased a Western Digital MyCloud NAS. I was not aware that it ran Twonky v7. Both my HDRs would enter a crash-reboot cycle. There is a workaround. But I just purchased a Synology NAS instead and am keeping the MyCloud in its box for now!

So the question asked is valid. You might have added something to your network that on first appearance appears neutral, but could cause the issue you have.

Does the box reboot if you disconnect it from the network?

Certain DLNA servers like Twonky ver. 7 are known to crash the Humax, but if nothing has been added to / changed on your network it it unlikely that this will be your problem.

Details for running fix-disk on the WiKi HERE

What's the rationale behind your suggestion - is network activity a known issue?
It can be.
But it's been connected to the nework for yonks. Why should it SUDDENLY start doing this?
You might have put something new (or updated something existing) on the network.
I've just realised that the adaptor has been powered down whilst most of these problems have occurred - but the ethernet cable is still connected to it. Is that equivalent to NOT having an ethernet connection ('cos it clearly wouldn't have worked)
I've never seen something work when it isn't powered, so yes.
is there any possibility that having the ethernet port connected to a non-powered powerline adaptor could have caused the re-booting problems?
Unlikely I'd have thought.

Unlikely as it may seem, that appears to have been the problem! Ever since I switched the powerline adapter back on again, the HDR FOX T2 hasn't missed a beat.

Back