HDR FOX T2 stops seeing the hard drive

I've (just) tried swapping-in a new hard drive. Still the same symptom. And the voltage on both the 12v and 5v supplies to the HD disappear when the fault manifests, so I reckon it isn't the HD.

So to summarise:
  • Replace PSU board - no change
  • Replace HD - no change
So whilst there might be the odd other scenario, it does look like it's the motherboard. And that I've wasted £20 in finding out (something I'm not too upset about - might come in handy anyway).

The bad new is it wasn't all decrypted. So I've just put the original HD back and I'm hoping the machine will stay up long enough to finish decrypting.

For the record, to decrypt, the correct steps seem to be:
  • Turn on Show development and advanced packages setting
  • Ensure auto-unprotect is installed
  • In the browser go up to the /media folder
  • Click on the OPT+ button next to My Video and select enable recursive auto decrypt
I think that is all you need to do. Then just wait.
However, I'm also using progbackup to copy it all to an external HD. Here's hoping the units stays up for long enough!
BTW progbackup needed a little bit of hacking to get working - suspect things have moved around a bit since it was written.
Packages in here

Many thanks to all who've helped - including, of course, all those who contributed to the whole custom firmware scene!
Bt too d

HDD = hard disk drive, HD = high definition or HD-FOX.

• Turn on Show development and advanced packages setting
  • Ensure auto-unprotect is installed
  • In the browser go up to the /media folder
  • Click on the OPT+ button next to My Video and select enable recursive auto decrypt
I don't think you need the advanced setting, but it doesn't hurt.

The only other step is to ensure that Content Sharing is enabled in the Humax menus.

"HD" has too many other possible meanings in this forum. Why confuse the issue (even if it can be worked out from context)? Why make us read on a bit before resolving what that particular "HD" meant? Same goes for when newcomers post about their "T2" - it's what they decided to call it in their isolated home environment, but it doesn't work when you want to discuss it with other people.

Progbackup 0.2b.1 is dependant on the following packages :-

Depends: busybox, hmt, auto-unprotect (inotify-tools for auto-unprotect)

So if these packages are missing or not 'visible' for some reason you will have problems

Did you end up working out what was causing the unit to stop seeing the hdd?

I have what appears to be the same symptom so am interested in knowing if you had a solution.

If it helps others, my symptoms are:

I have an HDR fox t2 with 1.03.12 - I don't have the custom software though so don't know if I'm getting the voltage drop out.

I originally had issues with recordings skipping and the unit sometimes freezing which a format and factory reset didn't resolve. I therefore changed the hdd and that seemed to fix everything. However now sometimes the unit stops seeing the hdd so I can't see the media stored on it and can't pause / record. When it isn't working I can still hear the hdd spinning so it does have power though I don't know if it had briefly lost power.

This appears to happen when I turn it back on after it being off. Fixing it sometimes requires unplugging the hdd and sometimes needs the unit to be turned off and on though this doesn't always work the first time.

I've taken out the mother board and wiggled leads etc and there is no obvious issues so I'm thinking motherboard but hoping not.

Did you end up working out what was causing the unit to stop seeing the hdd?
Well, I'd tried replacing the PSU and the HDD so by a process of elimination it was the motherboard. I tried re-soldering the SATA connectors and a few other bits (but not the BGAs!) to no avail. I believe it was probably a poor connection somewhere on the motherboard. So in my case it was the motherboard and basically time for a new machine. If you're lucky you'll be able to get graded stock from Humax.

You won't be able to confirm this without running custom firmware to enable you to check the SMART data and logs. Furthermore, without custom firmware all the recordings on the HDD will be encrypted and only decodable by your now-defunct motherboard.

If it still works some of the time, you could try installing custom firmware to enable you to investigate further - and, if you care about them, to decode the recordings.

Hope it works out.

Thanks both, I'm pretty sure it is the hard drive now.

Having replaced the first hard drive and getting much better results but now having the intermittent not seeing the hdd fault I was convinced it was the motherboard.

However before I responded to the faulty hdd comment I thought I should at least try another spare hdd I had and low and behold so far it seems to be working all ok, though still early days.

Thanks for the help and if it turns out to go wrong again and not be the hdd I will let you know. Think I will also look at the custom firmware for future proofing.

I'm still unsure if I have a faulty HDD or if there is something wrong with the Humax that causes it to intermittently work.

I removed the Seagate Pipeline 1tb and tried a Seagate Barracuda 320gb - this one has worked for 5 days now with no issues suggesting it is the Pipeline HDD that is at fault.

I then plugged the Pipeline in to a computer and used Seagate's own tools to test it and it said there were no errors (I did this several times as intermittent fault). I then emailed Seagate and not surprisingly they say the HDD is fine if their test says it was. - I'm conscious the website I bought it from will charge me if I return as faulty but they test and say it isn't.

Finally I installed the custom Humax firmware. When the Pipeline is recognised by the Humax the software says it is fine (except for a few reallocated sectors). When the Pipeline isn't recognised then the WebIF says the page can't be displayed (ie can't connect to the Humax). (By the way, I like the custom firmware!)

Any thoughts on other ways for me to test if I need to return the HDD or if it is the Humax?

My suspicion is that there is a fault on the motherboard that causes it to think there is a power brown out, and that Linux then spins down the hard drive. Because it doesn't spin it up after the 'brownout' disappears the drive stays powered down until you do something that causes the system to wake up and spin it up again.

As an update, mine is now resolved with what must have been a hard drive fault.

I decided to buy another Seagate Pipeline 1tb and this is working fine, therefore it must have been something wrong with the first one which I will now return to the shop.

Back