HDR Fox T2 stupid questions

catndeano

Hi All,

This may have been asked a thousand times, but I wonder if someone would be kind enough just to spell it out to us what we need to do.

We have an HDR Fox T2 which is just beginning to fail - during play back recording becomes 'scrambled', recordings missing and every now and then requests HDD to be formatted.

We are right now running the fix disk and it got stuck on the first part, saying "Error at LBA 0 Do you wish to attempt repair of the bad block? [Y/N]”

Answered Y and it then repeats it. We then said no and it is continuing through. (Still running)

Can anyone tell us what our options are once the fix disk is finished (if it ever finishes!)?

What is our next step? Do we just format the HDD or do we just replace the HDD? We have also seen mentioned a 'security erase' but not really sure about this.

We have already copied our recordings over to an external HDD formated by the Humax. I guess if we format the HDD we will still be able to watch these through the Humax. Is this also the case if we replace the HDD?

Hope someone can help.
CatnDeano

We have already copied our recordings over to an external HDD formated by the Humax. I guess if we format the HDD we will still be able to watch these through the Humax. Is this also the case if we replace the HDD?
Yes to both. The encrypted recordings (HD recordings unless you have decrypted them) are locked to the T2 not the HDD.
Wait for a HDD expert to pop in for further help/suggestions. The HDD may not be terminal, and further advice will be forthcoming shortly.

Error at LBA 0 doesn't sound good. Normally you would just keep answering yes, and there is a way (I can't remember off the top of my head) to let it assume "yes" on its own.

If you have copied everything of any importance off, I suggest just running a reformat and see where that gets you.

If you really are sure all your recording are backed up, I would suggest the quickest way is to let the Humax format the disk and then run fixdisk from maintenance mode to see what it makes of the SMART data and attempt any sector repairs. If you're not on CF 3.10 then install it first.
It might be interesting to post the SMART data for further opinion on the health of your disk.

Thanks for all your replies. We did try and let the Humax format the disk but it didn't appear to do anything. Just bought up a box saying processing. We even left it for an hour or so, in case for some reason it took longer than we thought.
However, the good news is, we have now replaced the hard drive and we are back in business.

We did try and let the Humax format the disk but it didn't appear to do anything. Just bought up a box saying processing. We even left it for an hour or so, in case for some reason it took longer than we thought.
That doesn't sound good, but it was a last straw.

Back