HDR-FOX T2 to HDHomeRun, my journey

If you are using the mini PC specifically for PVR purposes, how about installing an old Windows which doesn't force updates, ie Win7?

Yes, that's an interesting idea. I'd just be concerned about how safe Win 7 is, with all of the exploits found over the years. One to think about if the OS update is the issue, I've done the driver updates and so far so good.

I'd just be concerned about how safe Win 7 is, with all of the exploits found over the years.
First of all any exploit has to make it past your router. There's no reason for Win7 to be particularly unsafe unless you open the door. I'm still running it.

2 weeks later and still going strong, no corrupt packets or failed recordings. I'm going to slowly introduce changes over the next few weeks to see if one triggers the issues again. The 3 main changes are: driver updates, OS updates and setting Windows memory integrity to on. Apart from the last one, I don't have a lot of choice in getting those updates at some point because Windows forces driver and OS updates on me over time.

Hi, good to hear you've finally made some progress. Sounds like it is something related to the windows network stack or windows drivers for the network card that has been updated at some point then. It's an evil thing auto updates, so if you can use an older Windows version that doesn't get updates that would stop shifting sands. Also might be worth taking some screen shots of the network adapter settings and then comparing them when it does get updated to see if some settings have changed that you can simply revert back.

2 weeks later and still going strong, no corrupt packets or failed recordings. I'm going to slowly introduce changes over the next few weeks to see if one triggers the issues again. The 3 main changes are: driver updates, OS updates and setting Windows memory integrity to on. Apart from the last one, I don't have a lot of choice in getting those updates at some point because Windows forces driver and OS updates on me over time.
Why not try to limit the automatic updates?
I've not tried it myself, but I like the idea of marking a connection as metered to reduce the auto updates. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...e-automatic-updates-windows-10-a.html#option5
There are other suggestions, but I think option 5 is fairly safe as you'll be able to manually install updates and probably see the effects.

Hi, good to hear you've finally made some progress. Sounds like it is something related to the windows network stack or windows drivers for the network card that has been updated at some point then. It's an evil thing auto updates, so if you can use an older Windows version that doesn't get updates that would stop shifting sands. Also might be worth taking some screen shots of the network adapter settings and then comparing them when it does get updated to see if some settings have changed that you can simply revert back.

I've continued to have perfect recordings until last night, when I had my first failure. In checking, Windows update had indeed done its thing on 22nd August with 2 updates - 1 was '
2024-08 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5042099)' and the other was a large feature update 'Windows 11, version 23H2'. So one of those 2 broke things again. I've attached the logs, it shows the 21st all clear, 22nd with 2 corrupt packets and then 23rd with many many corrupt packet, numbering in the thousands. I did try to put off windows updates as long as it allowed (although I'd not known about the metering trick from above).

I've got to put my OS install back to its previous install and set everything back up again. Whilst I'd like to experiement and try to work out which update caused it, the Paralympics are starting this week and I really dont want to miss out on recording any episodes so Im to just get things working again, put it in metered mode and once the Paralympics are over, I'll try to narrow down the cause more, including taking photos of the network settings.

Attachments

• eventlog 21st.txt
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
  • eventlog 22nd.txt
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • eventlog 23rd.txt
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
Why not try to limit the automatic updates?
I've not tried it myself, but I like the idea of marking a connection as metered to reduce the auto updates. <link removed>
There are other suggestions, but I think option 5 is fairly safe as you'll be able to manually install updates and probably see the effects.

Thank you bottletop, I will try that.

The .NET frameworks will not be causing any issues as I'm always on the most up to date with my install.

What would have been an idea was to check your network drivers and network adapter settings (from Device Manager) on the working version, then see what they had changed to on the new version. Has the network adapter driver been updated? Have some of the properties changed, for example energy saving settings turned on when they were off before. It would also be worth monitoring the network when the computer should be idle to see if its busy moving a lot of traffic, is it trying to share the update to other computers on your network or the whole world. Also after updates Windows can take hours or days sometimes in optimising new code. What is the CPU showing for usage? Is something stuck taking up a lot of resources on the CPU?

The .NET frameworks will not be causing any issues as I'm always on the most up to date with my install.

What would have been an idea was to check your network drivers and network adapter settings (from Device Manager) on the working version, then see what they had changed to on the new version. Has the network adapter driver been updated? Have some of the properties changed, for example energy saving settings turned on when they were off before. It would also be worth monitoring the network when the computer should be idle to see if its busy moving a lot of traffic, is it trying to share the update to other computers on your network or the whole world. Also after updates Windows can take hours or days sometimes in optimising new code. What is the CPU showing for usage? Is something stuck taking up a lot of resources on the CPU?
Thanks lc200, good to know it wasn't the .NET framework updates.

I won't be reverting everything back until this evening so I'll make sure to take photos of both network adapter settings, then do the revert, and then compare.

I've been monitoring the PC for 30 mins and there's no traffic being moved, no updates shared (I always have that off), CPU load is 8-12%, ram is below 50%.

Can you do something in the network settings so that the PC in question has access to the local network but can't get onto the Internet? Gateway address seems like a possibility, but you would have to make sure it can't get the correct values by DHCP.

Can you do something in the network settings so that the PC in question has access to the local network but can't get onto the Internet? Gateway address seems like a possibility, but you would have to make sure it can't get the correct values by DHCP.

Nice idea, but I connect to DvrOnTime remotely a lot, especially on holiday, to log in and set up new recordings so its something I don't want to lose ideally.

What would have been an idea was to check your network drivers and network adapter settings (from Device Manager) on the working version, then see what they had changed to on the new version. Has the network adapter driver been updated? Have some of the properties changed, for example energy saving settings turned on when they were off before.

I've restored the PC back before the Windows update, restored DvrOnTime, and now its a waiting game to see if corrupt packets have gone again, which I'm sure they will have.

I also took about 50 screenshots before I restored my OS, of the network adapter settings and drivers and then I've been through them again after the restore, and not a single setting was different in either.

I've also put off Windows Update for 5 weeks, and the only 2 updates pending are the same 2 that installed 2 days ago.

I tried setting the connection to metered, but it made no difference, Windows updates continued to be downloaded until I set them to paused. So I've got a few weeks now to try to find a way to stop Windows updating itself, I know there were a few other suggestions in bottletops link to try and, if I have to, I'll just pull the network cable ;)

edit: I tried an alternative from bottletops list 'StopUpdates10' and hopefully I'm sorted until 2035......
Updates.png

Last edited:
Back