HDR-FOX T2 to HDHomeRun, my journey

This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.
Well, don'cha just love vague messages. It might be this, it might be that, it could be something else. And a tautology thrown in as well - what does respond mean?
The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=24830; handshake=0;
Spending a duration? Weird. And some meaningless figures with no units.
Classic.

Well, don'cha just love vague messages. It might be this, it might be that, it could be something else. And a tautology thrown in as well - what does respond mean?

Spending a duration? Weird. And some meaningless figures with no units.
Classic.
But better than nothing, right?

Last edited:
But better than nothing, right?
Sometimes. Sometimes not, and you think why did they bother at all. It's the annoying vagueness and information hiding that annoys me. It's very characteristic of Microsoft but others are guilty too e.g. Firefox has been known to do something similar when it can't connect to a web site and it says something like "cannot lookup address or can't connect", which are two distinct errors with two distinct causes and two distinct solutions (usually), but it chooses to lump them together so you don't know which one to target. It's so easy to produce a correct message and it helps everybody.

"Access denied" is my absolute 'favourite' when trying to map a drive under Windows. It covers a whole multitude of problems but gives you no clue whatsoever in where to start to solve it, so you end up having to guess. It's just so dull and time-wasting.

Access denied" is my absolute 'favourite'
I agree with you on this. My favourites ( yeah, right!) are the error messages produced by my bank's webshite. "An error has occurred". Very meaningful. (The fact that those errors have been appearing for more than 4 years on multiple devices/browsers is more than infuriating. The bank that likes to say yes. My a...!)

I agree with you on this. My favourites ( yeah, right!) are the error messages produced by my bank's webshite. "An error has occurred". Very meaningful. (The fact that those errors have been appearing for more than 4 years on multiple devices/browsers is more than infuriating. The bank that likes to say yes. My a...!)
With many error messages shown to the user they are deliberately simple and often not informative, especially on banking websites and apps, so as not to give away any issues or details that later could be exploited. If an unhandled error happens, the software could dump the full error or trace to the user, but that will often not be helpful, but could also contain secrets or information not meant for the public domain.

The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=24830; handshake=0;

Glad you got it sorted out.

...or might be embarrassing.
Given the problems the TSB has had after it shifted to a new owner and new website, this is the more likely explanation.
Without a better explanation of the error, it is difficult to pass useful information back to the bank so that they can rectify the problem. However, IIRC, there is a code, not unlike some Microsoft codes, that probably is of some help to the de-buggers, but no help to me.

It's not hard to bung informative error text through encryption and ASCII-encode it, then anyone with the key could find out what it said.

A rare event last night a recording failure which then effected subsequent recordings on the same channel. It started with this:-

17/08/2022 19:35:39 Warning => Corrupt packet total 1 (logging of corrupt packets suspended for 1 minute)
17/08/2022 19:35:50 Error System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at TransportStream.Table.GetTableInPacket(Packet packet)
at TransportStream.Table.ProcessPacket(Packet packet)
at DvrOnTime.ProgramRecordByEit.Tuner_PacketReceived(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at HdHomeRun.TunerDevice.PacketExtract(Byte[] data)
at HdHomeRun.TunerDevice.TcpReceiver(Object data)

Which killed the recording at that point, however subsequent recordings on the same channel then failed because DVROnTime still thought:-

"The channel is currently being recorded, waiting for that recording to stop before starting this recording"

Eventually it then terminated the recording which started this:-

17/08/2022 22:59:23 Error ScheduledEventProgramId 6851: Terminating the recording as recording has passed maximum recording time

At which point it then started to listen and immediately terminate all the recordings from the earlier scheduled recordings that it had been waiting for.

@lc200 Any ideas what would cause the error and should it not have terminated the recording properly when it failed so at least any following ones could still stand a chance of being recorded? Both the recording PC and the 2 HDHomeRun's are hardwired to a switch. Other recordings from a different channel during this same time period recorded perfectly BTW.
Did you manage to resolve this?

It's not hard to bung informative error text through encryption and ASCII-encode it, then anyone with the key could find out what it said.
I bet money it was logged into the system. All systems I've worked on will display a generic, "Error" message but will have logged the exception internally for support staff. That doesn't mean anyone looks at it mind you :)

Sorry hadn't seen that. Yes it should recover better, will take a look at the code.

I bet money it was logged into the system. All systems I've worked on will display a generic, "Error" message but will have logged the exception internally for support staff. That doesn't mean anyone looks at it mind you :)

Sorry hadn't seen that. Yes it should recover better, will take a look at the code.
Thank you. I've had no errors with mine and I'm really happy with it, thanks again

So far its been a one off but I am hoping @lc200 can make some improvements so that even if it cannot recover from the failure on the affected recording that at least any subsequent recordings on the same channel will remain unaffected...

I'm having problems with CH4 HD, the recordings all have picture break up, but it's only on recordings from that channel. If I retune my HomeRun, will I loose my recording schedule?

I'm having problems with CH4 HD, the recordings all have picture break up, but it's only on recordings from that channel. If I retune my HomeRun, will I loose my recording schedule?
Probably not, since DvrOnTime keeps the recording schedule in its database. I re-tuned last week for other reasons, and everything was fine afterwards. However, things may go haywire if a channel in your recording schedule has moved since your last re-tune.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, It's been quite a while since I've done the initial setup and I don't think I've retuned since
DVRonTime and the HDhomeRun have different views of the channel map, For some reason the HDhomerun doesn't know about Dave but DVRonTime does have the schedule and is able to record the channel

DVRonTime and the HDhomeRun have different views of the channel map, For some reason the HDhomerun doesn't know about Dave but DVRonTime does have the schedule and is able to record the channel
I've noticed that the channel names on HDHomeRun and humax are different for some channels (on mine anyway)

e.g. No Name On the Bullet is on 5ACTION on Humax, but on Paramount Network on HDHomeRun, but as I said, it's been a long time since I re-tuned

I've re-tuned, No Name On the Bullet is now on 5ACTION, just hope CH4 HD not longer breaks up.

Thanks all

Sorry one more question, do the Pending entries on the Recording Schedule page drop off automatically after a period of time?

Last edited:
Dunno. However, even if the Pending entries stayed there for a whole year, they would still not record the next series of the same programme, because the broadcasters always change the series identifier. IIRC series indentifiers last for something like a maximum of 26 weeks. Even ITV News at Ten changes its series identifier every few months (which stiches up both the Humax and HDHomeRun.)

Back