HDR-FOX T2 To Laptop.

Rodthemod

Hi please excuse my naivety as I’m new to this forum and the HDR. I’m trying to watch recorded programs off my HDR on my laptop in another room via my home network. I have set the dongle up and can draw music files and pictures off my laptop via the home network to the HDR. But although I can see the HDR on my networks connections I cannot seem to watch anything it just goes straight to my Windows media player. I have sent Black Hole a personal email not realizing I was not on the forum. He kindly replied telling me to download XBMC which I have done. My problem is how do I use it ? How do I connect with it ? I have read endless web pages but what I need is a simple flowchart for a simple person.

I've just setup XBMC on my Mac desktop and it seems straightforward enough. It sounds as though you have connected the HDR to the network OK so we can skip that.. You might need to make sure the HDR is switched on and connected - I believe the HDR should stream from standby but mine seems to lose the network connection in standby, yours might be OK.

In XBMC select System/Settings/Network/Services. Make sure that "share video and music libraries though UPnP' is set. Then go back to the home menu and select Videos/Files/UPnP servers(Auto-Discover). After a bit of searching this should show you your HDR files. They are presented in a slightly different structure but you should find what you want.

Hope that helps - I don't think I've missed anything.

No, the HDR-FOX does not stream from standby, it has to be on and not running the TV Portal. It also has to have content sharing turned on in the Internet Settings, and a bit of time has to elapse before the content gets indexed and presented for DLNA.

Nothing else has to happen - the purpose of DLNA is auto-discovery without having to configure the network.

Note that only StDef content will be available as-is - please see "Things Every..." (link below).

No, the HDR-FOX does not stream from standby

Ah, my mistake. Slightly off topic but doesn't that limit you somewhat? Can the HDR be woken remotely from standby to stream, to set recordings etc? The TiVo I'm more used to didn't really have a standby - it simply shut down its output but kept buffering the current channel and kept any network connection open.

BTW I think my HDR loses its network connection because the Devolo powerline connection goes into standby and doesn't always get a wake-up from the HDR. Reconnection through set up always sorts it though whether it would go back to sleep with the HDR on but not using the network. I don't know. It's all new kit so haven't tried all the options yet.

Perhaps it does limit things, but there's nothing we can do about it. Either leave it on or set timers/reminders for when you are going to need it. Channel buffering can be eliminated (reducing disk activity) by defaulting to a data channel (eg 105).

You need a reminder wake-up for EPG refresh/OTA protection anyway, and perhaps one other during the day will be enough to use the Remote Scheduler service to set up recordings remotely (as long as you do it a day in advance) - the advantage of using RS rather than WebIF is the box doesn't have to be running.

My power line adapters don't drop the Ethernet when the box goes off.

Back