HDR-FOX T2 Tuning Advice

I couldn't help but set the "network search" option to "on".
Basically, I just selected the HD channel, with DVB-T2 selected and it happily went through all of the channels for the relevant transmitter.
119 channels found after 1 manual scan.
Network search has been reported to give problems in some circumstances but if it works for you then that is good.
My guess is that it checks the internet (somewhere) and figures out the relevant channels for your transmitter.
Your guess would be wrong; it will work without an Internet connection.

Can you expand on that Martin? Any references?
I think this has been discussed extensively in the Freeview Humax section of DigitalSpy some time ago. I don't remember the exact details but Big-les, who I regard as the tuning expert, advises against network search. I believe that the idea is that having tuned one multiplex the transmission stream should provide the details of the other multiplexes available from the same transmitter.

When I use the auto scan option I too get 119 channels and when I check in the channel list I do not have any duplicates or channels in the 800's etc. However, if I select a manual scan, entering each MUX individually (after first aborting an auto scan to delete the current channel list), I get 114 channels. I cannot figure that out as both channel list appears the same but there is a channel count discrepancy. Come on BH, please explain.

When I use the auto scan option I too get 119 channels and when I check in the channel list I do not have any duplicates or channels in the 800's etc. However, if I select a manual scan, entering each MUX individually (after first aborting an auto scan to delete the current channel list), I get 114 channels. I cannot figure that out as both channel list appears the same but there is a channel count discrepancy. Come on BH, please explain.

When you do the HD MUX, make sure you have DVB-T2 option selected (there are 5 HD channels at the moment, so I'm guessing that's what's missing).

That's the thing. I don't appear to be missing any channels. I have all available HD channels and SD one too.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Thinking about it a little more. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the HD channels. It must be how the number of channels is displayed after a scan. I read 114 channels after a manual scan, but if the last MUX is searched on was SD, then that could be the answer. The auto scan might finish on the HD MUX, which will include the 'extra' five channels (as we now have thespace.org place holder on the HD MUX).

Just a thought, no big deal...

EDIT : Please ignore this information. (see my follow up report further down this thread).

Have been experiencing a strange problem of late with severe corruption and skipping on the occasional recording whilst the majority have been perfectly O.K.

I only use the T2 for recording and always view live channels directly from my Samsung TV, as it has a built-in Freeview HD tuner. I couldn't see any pattern to it till I finally realised that the corruption was only happening when there were two concurrent recordings scheduled. One recording was good, but the other suffered from the corruption.

Once the penny had dropped it was an easy matter to prove by simply starting an instant recording then changing to another channel, forcing the box to use tuner 2. And yes, the live picture using tuner 2 was badly corrupted so I suspected that I had a physical problem with tuner 2.

Opened up the box and examined the board for any obvious signs but it all looked O.K. so put it back together again. Tried an autoscan and this didn't help so then did a manual scan on each mux.
Still no joy so with nothing to lose I went for a factory reset. Stopped the subsequent autoscan without saving and did a manual scan once again. Would you believe it, the corruption on tuner 2 was gone. Just to confirm things I did another autoscan and the corruption was back on tuner 2 once again. Another manual scan didn't fix it so it was back to the factory reset and manual scan only, to get the two tuners working correctly.

I really don't understand how one tuner can work perfectly whilst the other fails when both are supposedly using the exact same autoscan data. I was almost at the point of replacing the box so I hope this information might help others who encounter a similar situation.

That is really interesting, thanks, and might go some way to explain why my AR improved dramatically after a spontaneous factory reset.

One way to compare the output from the two tuners is to use the Signal Detection option under the hidden menu.

Just like to provide an update to my earlier post regarding tuner 2 problems. I had originally thought I had resolved my problem by doing a manual tune after doing a factory reset, and that this procedure was repeatable. Unfortunately this has since proven not to be the case. The corruption on tuner 2 has reappeared and no amount of rescans, auto or manual, will make it go away. I could only conclude that it really was a physical problem with the tuner so I acquired a nearly-new replacement from eBay. I can thankfully confirm that the replacement does not suffer from this problem.

Sorry for resurrection of a thread not posted in for over four years however I have a question.

I live in Midhurst at the moment and unlike nearer Portsmouth I can't seem to reach the Rowridge transmitter to receive COM7 feeds, i.e. for BBC News HD and BBC Four HD. I think there's a pretty standard antenna here, really haven't had a chance to check it out and the few sites I've seen with reception overlays on the UK map seem to suggest that Midhurst is a dead spot and even with a high gain antenna wouldn't be able to receive from IoW or Crystal Palace to get the extra channels. Is this a correct assumption or are there ways around it?

Back