HDR-FOX T2 unusable - urgent help needed!

Darkstorm40

Hi all,

Sorry for the panic in the title - the only PVR in the house and our only means of recording TV. Worst of all, lots of programmes on the PVR that we'd hate to lose :disagree:

So, it all started this evening. Was watching Pointless and paused it to go off and have tea. Came back 20 minutes later, resumed and after about 5 minutes it locked up - black screen on TV and scrolling text on the Humax stopped. Remote didn't respond so switched it off at the back.

That's what it now keeps doing - may do if seconds after coming back on, sometimes up to 10 minutes later.

Have left it off at one point for over an hour. Have factory reset it (without wiping the HDD). Have also done an HDD test and that showed no problems. Aerial and Ethernet cables are unplugged - just power and HDMI. Still it does it even with no channels yet re-tuned.

I've tried copying off our content but it resets before a single programme gets copied (boy is that copying function slow!). I'm resistant to wipe the HDD but can predict that's what Humax will tell me when I call them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Box is about 3 years old now.

David.

What firmware version is on the box please? Also, are you running custom firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only other standard diagnostic for problems like this is to disable content sharing, if it's enabled, but your factory reset will have already done that (unless you've turned it on again since).

The most likely problem is still a disk fault; the standard disk test isn't very thorough. Installing the custom firmware will give you the option to run a better disk check/repair and more insight into what's going on. I don't have any further non-custom suggestions.

No, didn't turn media server back on and, no, not running custom firmware either. Would installing that wipe my current recordings?

David.

So, it all started this evening. Was watching Pointless and paused it to go off and have tea. Came back 20 minutes later, resumed and after about 5 minutes it locked up - black screen on TV and scrolling text on the Humax stopped. Remote didn't respond so switched it off at the back.
Nothing too unusual about that, it happens.

That's what it now keeps doing - may do if seconds after coming back on, sometimes up to 10 minutes later.
This is more worrying.

IMO the first step is to test whether the reboots occur with the HDD disconnected - it means going in but at 3 years you are not in warranty anyway. If you are bothered about the tamper seal use a hair dryer to peel it off carefully. Without the HDD it should still function as a tuner.

The reboots are almost definitely being caused by the main Humax software crashing. That isn't running during the flashing process as that's all handled by the bootloader. There is a small risk but the custom firmware is only writing to one area of flash and the bootloader will remain intact. The OP says that there have been periods where it's been up for long enough to get into the menus and do things like factory reset too.

My money's still on a hard disk problem.

Back