HDR-Fox T2 upgrade - expert advice would be appreciated

If I were being picky, I would take issue with your use of the word "discovered" in as much as I directed you to it. It's like "discovering" Xanadu by following the road signs to get there.

I searched the forum for old posts using my mobile during the day (before I read your reply) and found the old thread about replacing fans. (You might remember robustly expressing opinions about Maplin sales staff and the intelligence of people who trust them.) So I suppose it was you that pointed the way to Xanadu, but not in this thread.

On the other hand, you explain via obscure analogies, so at least I know you're a real engineer, but then again, I now have that ELO song stuck in my head, so, thanks for that.

New hard drive arrives on Wednesday, I went for a WD AV drive as I couldn't find the Seagate equivalent.

I wouldn’t regret your WD purchase. I have them in all my HDRs. No troubles with them at all.

I have, however, had more than my share of Seagate HHDs fail. Often without prior warning.

Personal choice. Some will say they have had issues with WD.

I have, however, had more than my share of Seagate HHDs fail. Often without prior warning.

I've been reading reviews of hard drives and a worryingly large number of reviews for current-gen Seagate drives listed sudden failures, so I'm quite comfortable with the choice of WD.

Latest update:
New hard drive arrived and fitted - no improvement.

There must be another heat source within the device, my suspicion is the power supply.

I think my way forward is to open up the device and run it with the lid off to find the hot spot.

Question is: Whether to try poking around with a finger or see if I can find a portable FLIR at work...

I wonder what thermoscanners whch are meant for ears would make of hot components?

I did come across a post on another forum from a DTR-T4000 user who was having stability issues and claimed to have cured them by removing the heatsink, applying new thermal paste and then re-seating it... Have you also tried taking the box to an alternate location (different aerial, leads, tv etc) to rule out anything environmental?

I have, however, had more than my share of Seagate HHDs fail. D.
All the HDDs I've had fail in service have been Seagates.

My favourite was Samsung, the oldest being a 500GB from 2008 and still in use. Pity they they sold off the drive division to Seagate.

[Edit] Ta mods for sorting the quotes - no idea why I didn't preview the post or spot it post-post.

Last edited:
On the other hand, you explain via obscure analogies, so at least I know you're a real engineer

Re BH, I've had this vision in my head for a while now and I wish I could cartoon draw.

I picture BH, grey bearded, sitting behind a large curved desk, cat on lap ( Blofeld like), with an array of monitors on which he checks his various activities ( Hummy, cars etc.) On the wall are a couple of dartboards which contain the avatars of perceived adversaries ( noticeably quiet at the mo).
It's a real man cave.
I've lost my gist here so if anyone wishes to add their visions, we could move this to the 'Arms.

All the HDDs I've had fail in service have been Seagates.
Over the years I have had Seagates fail but also Western Digital, Hitachi, IBM (any body remember the dreaded click of death, from perfectly working to completely knackered in one click?), Toshiba, Fujitsu, Maxtor (really bad).
My favourite was Samsung, the oldest being a 500GB from 2008 and still in use. Pity they they sold off the drive division to Seagate.
I didn't have much experience with Samsung drives but I agree that what I had was sufficiently good that when I next needed a hard drive I bought what was sold as a Samsung only to find it was now a rebadged Seagate. I also have fond memories of the first hard drive I bought which was an early Rodime and gave ten years of trouble free service; I still have the computer and hard drive and intend to try and fire it up before too long but need to read up carefully on recommissioning thirty five year old kit.

intend to try and fire it up before too long but need to read up carefully on recommissioning thirty five year old kit.
Huh?
You plug it in and switch it on. It either works or it doesn't. What else can you do?
If it works, you marvel at how clever you are to have kept it going all these years with a smug grin to yourself.
If it doesn't, you curse the stupid thing and either put it back where you got it from (to have another look in future when you have more time (you probably won't)) or chuck it away and be done with it.

Huh?
You plug it in and switch it on. It either works or it doesn't. What else can you do?
If it works, you marvel at how clever you are to have kept it going all these years with a smug grin to yourself.
If it doesn't, you curse the stupid thing and either put it back where you got it from (to have another look in future when you have more time (you probably won't)) or chuck it away and be done with it.
Sounds very much like a desktop PC I've still got from around 1998. Came with Win98 and ran for years then failed. Couldn't work out why. Put a very old (1987?) 80Mb (yes I mean Mb) disk in it and ran a small Linux on it for a while. Went back to it a year or so later. Put the original 4Gb disk back in along with a second disk that had also been in (10Gb ?). Installed Win2000 and now I have a smug grin. Doesn't get much use - but it works. Glad I didn't chuck it away!
BTW one disk appears to be Seagate and the other Fujitsu. Probably the kiss of death saying this - but they still work.

Back