HDR Fox T2 won't turn on

lesshaste

Bought an HDR Fox T2 which arrived a few days ago. It worked fine until I plugged in a wireless dongle and configured it. I then put it into stand by and it won't come back. I have tried turning it on and off at the wall several times. Is it just dead now?

Bought an HDR Fox T2 which arrived a few days ago. It worked fine until I plugged in a wireless dongle and configured it. I then put it into stand by and it won't come back. I have tried turning it on and off at the wall several times. Is it just dead now?
What (if anything) happens when you turn it on?

Is there any kind of front panel light when the mains is on? Have you forgotten there is a power switch on the back??

When I was turning it on and off a few times (including at the wall) a faint light would come on around the middle circle in the panel of the humax but then nothing else. Now I turned the whole thing off at the wall for an hour and it has come back alive.

Then I watched a recording and after 20 minutes it went into stand by. I was able to restart it using the remote and then I watched the rest of the program.

This doesn't seem great to me.

When I was turning it on and off a few times (including at the wall) a faint light would come on around the middle circle in the panel of the humax but then nothing else. Now I turned the whole thing off at the wall for an hour and it has come back alive.

Then I watched a recording and after 20 minutes it went into stand by. I was able to restart it using the remote and then I watched the rest of the program.

This doesn't seem great to me.

As in it went into standby all by itself while you were watching something? Sound like your box is faulty to me.

Probably a daft question, but do you know the middle circle on the front is a touch sensitive power button? Just wondered if you could have touched it by mistake if you didnt know...

Sent from my GT-N7100

It worked fine until I plugged in a wireless dongle and configured it. I then put it into stand by and it won't come back. I have tried turning it on and off at the wall several times. Is it just dead now?
If it won't turn on with the dongle removed, I would return it, however it might be worth testing the wireless dongle to see if it's faulty as the Humax was O.K. without the dongle

Thanks all. The first thing I did when it wouldn't start up was to take the dongle out (it's an Edimax EW-7711UAn). It didn't start working however until I had turned the whole thing off for an hour.

When it was working again I plugged the dongle back in and that doesn't seem to have made any difference so far.

I suppose it's possible the dongle made the Humax crash in some horrible way that needs it to be powered off for an hour and in general makes the whole box flaky. I find it hard to imagine exactly what could be causing that except broken drivers or some broken wiring in the USB port of the Humax itself. In particular, I can't see how a faulty dongle could be doing this.

In reply to a question above, it went into standby all by itself while I was watching something.

Thanks all. The first thing I did when it wouldn't start up was to take the dongle out (it's an Edimax EW-7711UAn). It didn't start working however until I had turned the whole thing off for an hour.
I bought a 7711UTn which came with a short stiff/bendable USB extension cable. Plugging the dongle on the end of the cable into the machine made it crash, whilst just plugging the dongle straight into the machine didn't.
I threw the cable away.

I bought a 7711UTn which came with a short stiff/bendable USB extension cable. Plugging the dongle on the end of the cable into the machine made it crash, whilst just plugging the dongle straight into the machine didn't.
I threw the cable away.

That's very interesting, thank you. I wonder how many other people have had problems with wireless dongles.

I'm using a 7711USN, which has given me no switchon problems, but has given problems getting an IP address and also DLNA problems (see threads on my problems for detail).
When working, it works well.

Ah... Looks like maybe replacing the Humax isn't going to help and I should just give up on wireless and go for homeplug instead...?

I thought you said removing the dongle didn't make any difference to your power-up/standby problem?

If it is now working (minus dongle) but drops into standby after 3 hours, the answer is probably the auto-standby setting - see Things Every... (click) section 7.

I thought you said removing the dongle didn't make any difference to your power-up/standby problem?

If it is now working (minus dongle) but drops into standby after 3 hours, the answer is probably the auto-standby setting - see Things Every... (click) section 7.

Sorry if I confused things. Two bad things have happened.

1) The Humax crashed after inserting and configuring the wireless dongle.
2) The Humax dropped into standby without warning while I was watching a recording. I can't remember if the dongle was plugged in when this happened. Does watching a recording count as "doing nothing" for automatic standby?

What I meant by removing the dongle didn't make difference was that after 1) happened removing the dongle didn't let me restart the Humax. I had to wait for an hour (with the dongle removed and the machine off) for it to restart.

I should say that I can now use the Humax with the dongle plugged in. I am just worried about how reliable it is going to be.

On a possibly unrelated note, I see that my recording of QI has given me a QI folder with no contents now...

I'm using a 7711USN, which has given me no switchon problems, but has given problems getting an IP address and also DLNA problems (see threads on my problems for detail).
When working, it works well.
I had similar problems until I installed the wireless-helper package. Since then (and disposing of the extension lead as mentioned previously) it's been 100%.

I had similar problems until I installed the wireless-helper package. Since then (and disposing of the extension lead as mentioned previously) it's been 100%.
I don't think it can be that - I installed wireless-helper very early on, and it appeared to make no difference (but I kept it, nevertheless)

Back