HDR freezing up regularly

Your refer to "turn off/wake up at 5:00 and 5:15"!
How have you set that up?
Wouldn't the standard power on/off timer have problems with that, as it would mean turn on at 5:15 and the off at 5:00 (23hr 45mins later). Does it cope with an off time on the following day?
I know the box can have problems when it gets orphaned on/off events, could this be related ...

Add any recording from the epg for a BBC Channel (use watch). Locate the recording using the Schedule button, press yellow to Edit

Start Time 05:00 End Time 05:15, Repeat Daily Mode watch

Last edited:
Start Time 05:00 End Time 05:15, Repeat Daily Mode watch
antipodean is setting an off time of 05:00 and an on time of 05:15, ie. a 15 Min. 'off' window, not a 15 Min. 'on' window

BTW
Is andrec and antipodean the same person?, as antipodean seems to be continuing andrec's posts

Last edited:
antipodean is setting an off time of 05:00 and an on time of 05:15, ie. a 15 Min. 'off' window, not a 15 Min. 'on' window

BTW
Is andrec and antipodean the same person?, as antipodean seems to be continuing andrec's posts

No we are not the same person, and you correctly worked out what I have as an off time. This is done in an attempt to stop, or at least minimise, the lockups.

I don't have it as 0420-0440 as BH suggested, as if it was off during that time it would turn on to look for a software download. Instead there is a disable OTA set up for 0420-0440.

Well, on 21 May I said "I'll only know whether 'stand-by and wake-up' works when I leave it unattended for a few days, but I'll try it now with fingers crossed and little optimism!" My lack of optimism was justified: I haven't been away and it's been accessed every day, but yesterday it failed to wake up to record Al Jazeera news at 1700, and it was unresponsive to anything but the mains switch at the back.

I suppose it's some sort of hardware fault, but life's too short to try to trace that. It's now living on borrowed time while I start the research into finding a PVR that works. I'd be grateful for suggestions. In particular, can anyone advise on which other PVRs will allow the decrypting of HD Freeview recordings and their transfer to a PC?

Thanks.

Well, on 21 May I said "I'll only know whether 'stand-by and wake-up' works when I leave it unattended for a few days, but I'll try it now with fingers crossed and little optimism!" My lack of optimism was justified: I haven't been away and it's been accessed every day, but yesterday it failed to wake up to record Al Jazeera news at 1700, and it was unresponsive to anything but the mains switch at the back.

I suppose it's some sort of hardware fault, but life's too short to try to trace that. It's now living on borrowed time while I start the research into finding a PVR that works. I'd be grateful for suggestions. In particular, can anyone advise on which other PVRs will allow the decrypting of HD Freeview recordings and their transfer to a PC?

Thanks.

Possibly a HDD issue. very simple to fit a new one.

I don't have it as 0420-0440 as BH suggested, as if it was off during that time it would turn on to look for a software download. Instead there is a disable OTA set up for 0420-0440.
I was commenting on post 41, not casting any aspersions in your direction.

An update, of sorts ...

I have been looking seriously at the Miraclebox triple-tuner (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...ers/Miraclebox-Premium-Ultra-HD-3x-dvb-c-t-t2) but haven't yet bought one because my Humax came from Richer Sounds nearly two years ago and I paid for their five-year guarantee. So it's back with them to see what they can do. They've loaned me a Humax 1800T, which keeps the show on the road. The EPG is faster than on the FoxT2, though I can't quite believe that it doesn't have bookmarks.

My question about decrypting HD recordings may become irrelevant. If I get the FoxT2 back and working, then I'm back where I was, and if I go down the Miraclebox route, then it would seem that the question doesn't arise. I can't be sure of this unless/until I have one, but it seems that the encryption isn't as transmitted - it's done by the Humax when the transport stream is written to disk. That's a condition of having the Freeview+ logo on the machine. The open-source Miracleboxes etc. aren't branded Freeview+ and simply write the TS to disk as received. So the .ts file can be copied straight to the PC over the network for editing, transcoding etc.

andrec : I have been looking seriously at the Miraclebox triple-tuner
As I would find it hard to use a PVR that did not have the benefits of Custom Firmware and the chances are that any new Humax PVR won't be customizable, I am wondering if the above Miraclebox is the way forward. I think the use of the phrase 'Ultra HD' is very misleading as the box only supplies 1920 x 1080 but it does look promising

Last edited:
Out of laziness I am in the habit of leaving three HDR-FOXes (and a HD-FOX) on all the time - no boot delay, instant accessibility at any time either directly or via WebIF etc, no having to get up and go into another room to turn it on... other than the occasional freeze.

I have adopted a 30-minute turn off in the middle of the night, just prior to the anti-OTA wake up, on all three HDRs. I'll see how it goes and let you know.

.... I am wondering if the above Miraclebox is the way forward. I think the use of the phrase 'Ultra HD' is very misleading as the box only supplies 1920 x 1080 but it does look promising

That Miraclebox certainly looks interesting and might have a lot of potential as it is based on open source Linux software. I do like the way the tuners are reasonably priced, swappable plugin modules so that DVB tuners modules can be replaced with satellite modules should an owner decide to move from Freeview to satellite - makes much more sense than having to buy a new box.

Unfortunately it is unlikely to sell enough units in the UK to build the sort of active consumer base that the T2 has - very interesting though.

Thanks for the link, HarveyB - I'll certainly check it out. At the moment I am very happy with the HDR-Fox T2 (with Custom Firmware and WebIf) and I have a second machine (recently bought second hand) as a backup but if I was buying now the Miraclebox would be high up on my list of candidates.

Back