HDR remote re-tuning

sooty83

It now looks like we will be away in the 2 weeks when DSO happens in our area. I noticed on the humaxdirect website a claim that the HD never needs re-tuning. I couldn't spot an equivalent claim for the HDR. So here are the questions:
  1. Does the HDR need re-tuning for the DSO?
  2. If the answer to the above is yes, then is it possible to initiate a re-tuning remotely via the web or telnet? I don't mind getting my hands dirty if the interface to a re-scan exists and it's just a question of writing some code to call it.

My HDR certainly needed retuning for DSO and to be honest, my HD would have needed retuning as well. I'd be interested to see the humaxdirect webpage that says you don't need to retune.

I don't know how you could initiate a retune, but what you could do is to update the tuning information in the database if you knew what the new frequencies were*. You would definitely need the custom firmware to do this, but then again, that has the advantage that you could back up your recording schedule and restore it after the retune.

*If you know someone with an HD running custom firmware in the same TV region, their database should be fine.

Could this be possible to achieve through the RS? If it's easy enough af123 might be able to set something up for you, but to be honest there's no other straightforward way I can think of. The easiest method of doing this by "remote control" is a friend with a key on the end of a phone, or just bite the bullet and wait until you get back - it's only telly.

On http://www.humaxdirect.com/product.asp?ProdRef=10090, under More Info, "Auto detection of new channels and services - no need to ever re-tune".
I think you need to read that as "no need to ever retune - once the transmitters have settled down to their final situation frequencies". I'm not convinced though, I don't think the HDR has automatically added new services in the existing multiplexes, and I can't imagine the HD-FOX doing it if the HDR doesn't.

My HD and HDR-FOX T2 boxes have never automatically added new services, although I think that the Foxsat boxes do have this feature.

I am away from 10th March to 29th April. During that time there are 2 DSO in my area. I was hoping to remotely access the humax with a view to adding one off recordings I would like. However, after 4th April I won't even be able to record the set events. Actually I am wondering what will be recorded if the tuning is not changed. I might as well turn off the box while I am away? The missus will be in withdrawal though :(

So it looks like there is a bit of false advertising on the part of Humax in regard to the HD never needing a retune. I suspected as much.

Sam Widges's idea of importing the tuning database from a known source combined with Black Holes suggestion of using RS as the delivery mechanism sound promising. What's needed is for someone to upload the tuning database to the rs website after retuning the box for DSO, and for rs to deliver that to the Humax boxes (those that want it) next time they contact the website. Prior to DSO, the user specifies the transmitter on the rs website so they get the right database on the right date.

I will be quite happy to throw in a few hours of my time to help if the BYTs think this is feasible and practical to do. On the other hand, it will be fully understandable if the experts feel it is too much effort for too little return. After all, any code written for this will be useless in a few months' time.

I am away from 10th March to 29th April. During that time there are 2 DSO in my area. I was hoping to remotely access the humax with a view to adding one off recordings I would like. However, after 4th April I won't even be able to record the set events. Actually I am wondering what will be recorded if the tuning is not changed. I might as well turn off the box while I am away? The missus will be in withdrawal though :(

If you're North-East of Chelmsford, you could consider swinging your aerial around to Sudbury while you are away (http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=TL913377). It's already been through DSO and most channels are working at a decent level (ArqB is on channel 63 at the moment so Film4 and a few other channels are marginal because many aerial setups are borderline for channel 63, but it's better than nothing)

If you're North-East of Chelmsford, you could consider swinging your aerial around to Sudbury while you are away (http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=TL913377). It's already been through DSO and most channels are working at a decent level (ArqB is on channel 63 at the moment so Film4 and a few other channels are marginal because many aerial setups are borderline for channel 63, but it's better than nothing)

Thanks but cannot do that as the aerial is communal and part or an array for radio, feeview and sat.

I noticed on the humaxdirect website a claim that the HD never needs re-tuning. I couldn't spot an equivalent claim for

This is also mentioned in a glossy brosure HERE but there is no sign of it in the User Manual, Can any HD-FOX owners confirm this?, I'm not sure I believe it

I can confirm that my HD-FOX T2 has never automatically retuned, or added new services. I think that the claim is really meant for the Foxsat boxes, which do support this feature.

My TV, Panasonic DVD/PVR and STB used to regularly prompt to add new services when found. This was before DSO. I don't recall seeing it on the HDFOX-T2.

Get a friend to check on the house and retune the box? ;)

Interesting dilemma though.
You could use a Slingbox to remotely see the Humax's output and send remote signals to go through the menus yourself...

Back