HDR t2 crashing

bwizz

My box has suffered from periodical lock ups and re boots over the last 6 months. It is now stuck in a rebooting loop . On first start up the screen says "cust FW 3.03" then crash screen and reboot in after seconds count down. After reading other users reports I opened the box and tried another hard drive. no change
I also tried booting from usb with new firmware on it. In either case same result!
Anybody any ideas ? I suppose I could put the hard drive into another second hand box and maybe keep my recordings?
Thanks in advance

My box has suffered from periodical lock ups and re boots over the last 6 months. It is now stuck in a rebooting loop
As previous post.

After reading other users reports I opened the box and tried another hard drive. no change
What user reports? Not here - or if so, out of context.

I suppose I could put the hard drive into another second hand box and maybe keep my recordings?
Not unless you take measures to decrypt the content first - the encryption is keyed to the specific motherboard. See Things Every... (click) section 5, but as you have installed CF it's a reasonable bet you have.

Hi Tried the suggested thanks. with the system flush usb in the unit just hangs with the usb flashing but not progressing. No different with hard drive removed. Can't see any obvious issues in the PSU. Seems its knackered! I had forgotten about the encryption bugger!

More likely a computer engineer, but I very much doubt it.

You now know (the hard way) why we routinely decrypt recordings on the hard drive, even if we have little use for them elsewhere.

If I get another t2 box. And install cf fit the old HD into a USB caddy .can I then decrypt to files on the USB drive. Is there a sky TV equivalent of the HDR t2 .Thanks

If I get another t2 box. And install cf fit the old HD into a USB caddy .can I then decrypt to files on the USB drive.
No, you can't. The decryption key is tied to the specific motherboard that encrypted the recordings in the first place. Clearly you didn't bother reading the reference I gave in post 3 (or, come to that, post 3 itself).

I did read your point in _post 3 . It seems a reasonable thought that a second box with cf on. might see and be able to decrypt a remote drive's files

I did read your point in _post 3 . It seems a reasonable thought that a second box with cf on. might see and be able to decrypt a remote drive's files
Why? To decrypt an encrypted file you need (1) the inverse of algorithm used to encrypt the file, and (2) the inverse of the key supplied to the algorithm that encrypted the file. With a different motherboard you have access to (1) because it is the same for all motherboards, but (2) is unique to each motherboard. They are built into the hardware and the CF uses them by sneaky means, but the CF has no knowledge of the algorithm or the key.

Back