HDR-T2 Going into standby while recording breaks recording

Paul Moore

I just got a replacement box (the old one was locking up - Humax support were singularly unhelpful but agreed to just replace the box, so never mind...) and when I set it up, I left auto-standby ON but set low-power standby OFF. As a test, I set it up to record a program.

The box was running (I think) when the recording started, but while the recording was going on the box appears to have gone into standby mode - pale red light round the front panel button, rather than the bright red light of recording. When I spotted this, I used the remote to switch the hummy back on, it came on in "recording" mode. But when the recording finished, the file was "broken" and unwatchable.

The guy I've been dealing with in Humax support was basically unhelpful - said "There is an automatic standby option that you will need to switch off. If it cancelled the recording then this would indicate the power saving in standby option is also switched on." Power saving in standby was not switched on.

I can just leave standby switched off (and have the box on permanently, not sure how bad that will be...) but does anyone here have any other suggestions?

Paul

Power saving does not (or should not) have any effect on the ability of the HDR-FOX to record in standby, or to continue to record when put into standby, or to come out of standby while recording. The problem you describe should not happen. Have you tested it more than once?

See Things Every... (click) sections 7 & 18.

Yes I saw the "Every HDR Fox user should know" post, that's what prompted me to post here. I haven't tested it more than once yet (it's a bit tricky to set up as I need to time it precisely, and I wasn't sure how long the delay before power-down was). I'll give it another try based on the 3 hours quoted in the linked article and we'll see.

Thanks,
Paul

When I spotted this, I used the remote to switch the hummy back on, it came on in "recording" mode.
Did it come on very quickly or go through the usual 'START SYSTEM' process? If quickly then it wasn't really in standby but in the state we call 'half awake'. With the standard firmware, it isn't easy to see whether the box is half awake and recording or in standby. Tell-tales are noise or vibration from the disk, fan activity and a small REC icon on the front display.

Do you recall what message you got when trying to play the file? (broken could mean a number of things).

What channel was it? There are known issues recording from the new high-definition channels at present.

I've set up a new test, and I'll check all the details this time. (Last night, my main reaction was "oh, no, not another broken box :("...) I'll get back to you in 3 hours or so.

Before trying the auto power-down scenario you could do some quick confidence tests by just setting it recording and then putting it into standby with the remote control, leaving it for 5 minutes then bringing it back out of standby.

Hmm, looks like the auto power-down works fine. And a manual test as you suggest seems to have worked, too. Odd. The only difference last night was that I was recording BBC 3 HD. I can't do a test on that right now, as it's not broadcasting, but I'll try later. You mention known issues recording from the new HD channels. I guess that could be it. I'll go and have a look at the thread about that.

I guess I'll just have to put it down as a glitch for now. Thanks for the help.

It is worth while steering clear of the 4 new HD channels i.e. BBC 3 HD, BBC 4 HD, CBBD HD and Cbeebies HD when you are doing your tests. Main thread HERE

It is worth while steering clear of the 4 new HD channels i.e. BBC 3 HD, BBC 4 HD, CBBD HD and Cbeebies HD when you are doing your tests. Main thread HERE
Where is the fun in that! I've got at least 20 timers a day recording from those.:D

Edit: smiley added

Paul Moore was investigating a different problem, there is no point in complicating matters by trying to record known problematic channels

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I hit the BBC3 HD problem, and not a horrible bug in recording while in standby mode. So I'm happy. Thanks for all the help.

Back