HDR T2 sudden problems

I would be grateful if you could tell me why I can't move it or copy it back.
Where are you trying to move it to?
(I suspect I already know the answer...)
I suspect it is something to do with reserved space whatever that is for.
Ya reckon? You've come to a conclusion about something having admitted you don't know what it is/does.

Although it is totally irrelevant (and a bit pedantic) whether you copied or moved the file from the T2 to your computer, the problem is that you can't copy/move it back? But just saying 'it didn't work' doesn't cut it even though the 'out of room' error message has been included.
What might just be relevant though, is the method that you used to try do this and possibly the OS of said computer.
Can you copy ANY file from your computer to anywhere on the T2.

Rather than BS people I shortened it all out and said I moved it. I may have done but it wasn't intentional.
Maybe not intentional, but definitely relevant. I can't see why the original should have disappeared from the HDR. This is already indicative of a problem.

Inclusion of all possible detail is not bullshit - by filtering the detail you are making assumptions about what may be relevant and what not, and thereby making the report woolly... and by asking for help you have admitted you don't understand what's going on, so don't cripple us trying to understand it for you.

All this is very unclear. Shine a light in some corners:

Are you talking about the 500GB drive from another machine? Why did you transfer the drive between HDRs instead of simply swapping machines over?

What exact method did you use to copy the recording to your PC? Was it a recording already on the drive, or a recording made after the drive was swapped? How did you decrypt it? What method to attempt to copy it back from the PC?

(Files are never "moved" unless the destination is in the same device and partition as the source - moving involves re-indexing a file without actually relocating it physically, "moving" a file between devices/partitions involves making a copy at the destination and then deleting the original from the source, so how the original came to be deleted is relevant and particularly suspicious if you didn't do it deliberately.)

What do the SMART stats say about the drive (whichever it is)? WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Disk Diagnostics

What is the result of a fixdisk?

Last edited:
I'm sorry I thought the word moved was very explicit and not in the slightest woolly. It was shortened text. What actually happened was that I had copied a decrypted prog to my PC to test that it was indeed decrypted, it was. Later I was placing programmes into folders and noticed that there was no longer a copy of the decrypted prog on the humax. It could have happened in a number ways but it wasn't there. Rather than BS people I shortened it all out and said I moved it. I may have done but it wasn't intentional.

Is that clear enough?
I am sorry but no. You haven't said how you "moved" it. Was it FTP, copy via SAMBA, scp, copy to USB storage, NFS? There are a lot of possible options.

Hi guys,

OK your questions...

Firstly the move/copy.

Windows (7) was the PC involved. It is not my first choice operating system and generally I use it when I cannot do a job on the preferred one. My preferred OS always regardless of volume or disks or anything else, copies. It never moves unless you specifically tell it to do so by holding down the shift key during a drag. Obviously, most people have never encountered that and so I understand it will seem odd but for me it is much more sensible and consistent than the windows method.
Because I use two and sometimes 3 OS I tend to look for the most similar (IMHO) ways to do things on the systems. When using windows I never ever drag files/folders with the left button, I drag with the right and wait for the resulting menu. No, (to me) odd rules to remember but I do understand the thinking behind them. Here is where I may have clicked move and not copy.
The drive is indeed a drive from my previous Fox T2 which suffered a MOBO failure, it is only 500GB. I have done a fixdisk test it eventually came back with :
fix-disk: session terminated with exit status 0
I saw nothing in the long text that suggested a problem which I assume means it's okay.

The programme that somehow vanished from the Humax (for which I assumed responsibility) used 4 files. When I attempted to copy them back to the Humax the three small files did copy back but the large one was refused due to lack of disc space. This is copying back to where it originated from and where it was decrypted.

My OS of choice RISC OS can connect to the Humax share and copy files both ways. However, it claims that there is only 61MB available disc space from that share which explains why windows can't copy the file back.

Knowing that the disk has over 400GB free and two operating systems telling me there was no room I looked at everything I could to explain the anomaly. The only thing I spotted which seemed to be a possibility was the reserved space thing. I did not say that was the cause I said I suspected it which seems perfectly logical and sensible to me.

I'm hoping that today some time a parcel will arrive from Amazon with an exact same type 1TB drive. My real concern at this point is will the odd disc space thing go away with a new drive or is the issue a setting elsewhere.

I hope that answers all questions. Feel free to have a pop at me now.

Thank you.

Bob.

Hi guys,
New drive arrived and I'm in trouble again. I think the hummy is faulty.

I installed the drive and booted up the humax. It told me to format the disc which I did and all seemed well.

Next I connected the 500GB drive from old machine via an adapter into the front USB. The drive had a mains power supply.

Went into media on the remote and started a tv-prog COPY to the new HDD. It was only one programme but it went on for well over 30 minutes. Then it complined a usb had disconnected but it started copying again.

Eventually it finished but there was only an empty folder copied across.

From then on things went downhill fast.
Tried to use the web interface which took ages and then told me to install the full interface packages which it did.
No sooner had it done this and it told me there was a problem with the HDD.
I assumed at first that i had copied the problem from one disc to another.
I then thought there was nothing much on the disc so format the thing again but like the first disc it will not let me, now says the drive is too big.
So I tried fix-disk.
Loads of errors which it said were fixed.
came back to normal mode and tried to format but no, still too big.

What do you guys think? I think hummy is knackered. But just in case any suggestion how I might get the disc to format again?
What about formatting it with a PC or even a NAS, I know NTFS will not work but is there any chance it might put the disc in a state where the hummy could format it again.

Help. I';m not having a good day.

Bob.

Turning into a nightmare!!

Took the new disc out, and connected it to a NAS via usb. Formatted the disc with 1 partition to ext4 (no 3 option) which completed fine.

Fitted the disc back in the Humax and booted up. It then said I needed to format the disc and it allowed me to do it.
After a few minutes it finished and all was fine. I was unfortunate in that a recording was scheduled and I thought better of messing and waited until it finished.
The recording looks fine and does playback.

Then tried the web interface which said it was still initializing .......... then said something was wrong.

I re-installed the CF from a usb, that went well and now the web interface said I could install the complete package and off it set...

As soon as it finished reboot and then big red banner - Potential hard disc problems. nothing will remove the banner.

It looks like the CF full web interface breaks the hard disc but it seems unlikely.

Is this the end for the hummy?

I'm out of ideas.

Bob.

OK, a few things to mention. Here is output from 'df -h' on on of my units (with a 4TB drive):
Code:
Lounge# df -h                                                                     
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on               
/dev/root                21.6M     21.6M         0 100% /                         
tmpfs                    61.0M    132.0K     60.9M   0% /tmp                     
tmpfs                    61.0M         0     61.0M   0% /media                   
/dev/mtdblock1            2.0M    616.0K      1.4M  30% /var/lib/humaxtv         
/dev/mtdblock2            2.0M    664.0K      1.4M  32% /var/lib/humaxtv_backup   
/dev/mtdblock2            2.0M    664.0K      1.4M  32% /etc/opkg                 
/dev/sdb1              1007.9M     46.2M    961.7M   5% /mnt/hd1                 
/dev/sdb2                 3.6T      3.2T    411.1G  89% /mnt/hd2                 
/dev/sdb3                 9.8G      1.8G      8.0G  18% /mnt/hd3                 
/dev/sdb2                 3.6T      3.2T    411.1G  89% /mnt/hd2/My\040Video/[Mo 
dSettings]                                                                       
/dev/sda1                57.3G     10.6G     46.7G  18% /media/usb-drive1
The 'media' folder is mounted as a temporary filesystem and has a nominal capacity of 61MB. If you try to copy directly into '/media' you will quickly hit this limit. Copying into '/media/My Video' should be OK, but if you are hitting a 61MB limit copying into 'My Video' it is probably a configuration problem: try '/mnt/hd2/My Video' as the path instead.
The custom firmware stores key files in flash memory, but the bulk is on the hard drive. When you try and format through the HUMAX SUI with the remote control, it won't let you because of the custom firmware using these files. The error message 'disk too large to format' is incorrect; with 1.03.12 firmware the device can format a disk up to 2TB in size. I believe the way to reformat a drive with custom firmware installed is to open a Telnet session and boot to safe mode ('safe' option). In safe mode you should be able to reformat with the remote control. You will then need to reinstall the full web interface.
Don't panic about the red banner in Webif, go into Webif>Diagnostics>Disk Diagnostics and post the output. One of the forum experts should be able to help.

I believe I said that, but nobody was listening.
I hadn't gone back to the start of the thread and had assumed that sensible advice had been followed. Am I correct that safe mode is the way of doing this? I haven't needed to reformat a drive for ages and your post (#14) does not mention safe mode.

OK, a few things to mention. Here is output from 'df -h' on on of my units (with a 4TB drive):
Code:
Lounge# df -h                                                                    
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on              
/dev/root                21.6M     21.6M         0 100% /                        
tmpfs                    61.0M    132.0K     60.9M   0% /tmp                    
tmpfs                    61.0M         0     61.0M   0% /media                  
/dev/mtdblock1            2.0M    616.0K      1.4M  30% /var/lib/humaxtv        
/dev/mtdblock2            2.0M    664.0K      1.4M  32% /var/lib/humaxtv_backup  
/dev/mtdblock2            2.0M    664.0K      1.4M  32% /etc/opkg                
/dev/sdb1              1007.9M     46.2M    961.7M   5% /mnt/hd1                
/dev/sdb2                 3.6T      3.2T    411.1G  89% /mnt/hd2                
/dev/sdb3                 9.8G      1.8G      8.0G  18% /mnt/hd3                
/dev/sdb2                 3.6T      3.2T    411.1G  89% /mnt/hd2/My\040Video/[Mo
dSettings]                                                                      
/dev/sda1                57.3G     10.6G     46.7G  18% /media/usb-drive1
The 'media' folder is mounted as a temporary filesystem and has a nominal capacity of 61MB. If you try to copy directly into '/media' you will quickly hit this limit. Copying into '/media/My Video' should be OK, but if you are hitting a 61MB limit copying into 'My Video' it is probably a configuration problem: try '/mnt/hd2/My Video' as the path instead.
The custom firmware stores key files in flash memory, but the bulk is on the hard drive. When you try and format through the HUMAX SUI with the remote control, it won't let you because of the custom firmware using these files. The error message 'disk too large to format' is incorrect; with 1.03.12 firmware the device can format a disk up to 2TB in size. I believe the way to reformat a drive with custom firmware installed is to open a Telnet session and boot to safe mode ('safe' option). In safe mode you should be able to reformat with the remote control. You will then need to reinstall the full web interface.
Don't panic about the red banner in Webif, go into Webif>Diagnostics>Disk Diagnostics and post the output. One of the forum experts should be able to help.
Thank you. Some hope and useful info in that post.
I don't understand about the different path to the video folder. There is no share from the humax that starts with mnt. Are you talking NFS (I hope not) or is there a way to share from a different folder?
Ok so I can telnet in did that for the fixdisc whatsit and all I need from there is 'safe' and reboot presumably?
Disc diagnostics attached, I hope.

thanks
Bob.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 9
Thank you. Some hope and useful info in that post.
I don't understand about the different path to the video folder. There is no share from the humax that starts with mnt. Are you talking NFS (I hope not) or is there a way to share from a different folder?
Ok so I can telnet in did that for the fixdisc whatsit and all I need from there is 'safe' and reboot presumably?
Disc diagnostics attached, I hope.

thanks
Bob.
The default setup for SMB shares should work. Copying into '/media/My Video' should be fine; if you were copying into '/media' directly you would hit a 61MB limit. If necessary, you could add another share to the end of the '/mod/etc/smb.conf' file (using the 'Media' share at the end of the file as an example) to share the root directory '/' or another location beneath.
As you said above, selecting 'safe' from Telnet and rebooting will allow the drive to be reformatted using the remote control. Reboot afterwards to restart the custom firmware and reinstall the full web interface.
Your new drive looks fine. Several of the parameters have apparently high numbers but this is just to do with the format Seagate uses: see here. What was the error message you got in Webif?

The default setup for SMB shares should work. Copying into '/media/My Video' should be fine; if you were copying into '/media' directly you would hit a 61MB limit.
Ah, now I understand. Thank you. Unfortunately that was happening last night and into the media/My Video folder. That too seemed limited last night.
However another penny has just dropped, RISC OS only looks at the share directory for the capacity so that being 'media' it will always indicate a limit of 61MB. Never encounterd that before on any other system.
If necessary, you could add another share to the end of the '/mod/etc/smb.conf' file (using the 'Media' share at the end of the file as an example) to share the root directory '/' or another location beneath.
Yes, now I have added extra shares in the smb.conf file on other systems so I could probably manage that, interesting idea.
As you said above, selecting 'safe' from Telnet and rebooting will allow the drive to be reformatted using the remote control. Reboot afterwards to restart the custom firmware and reinstall the full web interface.
Got it, thanks.
Your new drive looks fine. Several of the parameters have apparently high numbers but this is just to do with the format Seagate uses: see here. What was the error message you got in Webif?
Thanks for that. The error was just a red banner that covered everything and came up the directly after installing the full Webif. It wasn't specific but just said the drive had Potential hard disc problems.
I could run fix-disk but I just know it will pour errors at me left right and centre. Hmmm, daft question, should I suspend CF before running fix-disk or is that by definition impossible?

Thanks a lot you've been most helpful.

Cheers,

Bob.

As I get older I get dafter. When I wrote my last post the penny still hadn't dropped. I think partly because of different terminology and I've never seen such a share grouping before. It has now dawned on me (in my language), that there are 4 samba shares not 1 and the one not to use is the parent because it is size limited. I hadn't spotted there were 4 shares, that completely explains the failure to copy back and the odd size info coming from RISC OS. I've just connected my RO machine directly to the video folder share and whoopy do!!!! Then managed to copy that program back to hummy from PC. So that mystery is now cleared. Thank you.
The reason the disc would not reformat now understood and cleared.
The only one left I think is that red banner why did I get that?

Think I might have a go at reformatting the old 1TB drive I thought broken, it might not be, I'll see what a nas thinks of it.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Bob.

Ah, now I understand. Thank you. Unfortunately that was happening last night and into the media/My Video folder. That too seemed limited last night.
However another penny has just dropped, RISC OS only looks at the share directory for the capacity so that being 'media' it will always indicate a limit of 61MB. Never encounterd that before on any other system.

Yes, now I have added extra shares in the smb.conf file on other systems so I could probably manage that, interesting idea.

Got it, thanks.

Thanks for that. The error was just a red banner that covered everything and came up the directly after installing the full Webif. It wasn't specific but just said the drive had Potential hard disc problems.
I could run fix-disk but I just know it will pour errors at me left right and centre. Hmmm, daft question, should I suspend CF before running fix-disk or is that by definition impossible?

Thanks a lot you've been most helpful.

Cheers,

Bob.
If you add the following to the end of '/mod/etc/SMB.conf':
Code:
[Video]
   comment = My Video
   path = /mnt/hd2/My Video
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no
you should get a new share called "Video" which may get around the 61MB limit.
You run fix-disk after booting into maintenance mode ('maint' option in Telnet). This suspends most operations of the box, enabling fix-disk to run, until you reboot to normal mode.
Does the warning banner persist in Webif? Your disk is fine, you may have some filesystem errors but it is a new disk so it ought to be OK.
EDIT: posts crossed, see above post.

Back