HDR T2 with Custom FW 3.13 - Keeps Losing Setup

Cancunia

Just wondering if this is a PSU issue or perhaps just old age? Twice in the past couple of months I've woken up the system via the front button, only to find that it's in 'Wizard' mode and needs to be retuned for the TV Channels and the WiFi config reset. The Cusom FW is still there and after re-configuring the WiFi all packages seem to be there.

Any thoughts on what might be the cause?

Thanks

It's a common problem, or perhaps feature. Not a CFW issue.
Box can go for years then you get a couple or few of these reset events. Then it all goes back to normal again.
I don't think anyone has found a reason or common factor for it.

Thanks for the replies, according to what I read in the >WiKi< the System Flush will reset all of the CFW settings so I'll run the System Flush when it happens again. I'm also going to keep an eye out for a spare box, just in case.

Oddly enough, my box did this a few times earlier in the year. Frustratingly it happened while I was away for a week, and so missed several recordings. This spurred me into action ...

I had a few reallocated sectors on my HDD, so did another fixdisk where it found a few more (now 16 in total). I also tried a System Flush while I was at it, then reconfigured everything. One point of note is that I couldn't retrieve my schedule from any recent backups properly - they would come back in the "pending changes" column after a reboot, and a further reboot would delete everything once again. All very odd, and that was leading me to believe my disk may be struggling. However, I managed to use an older backup and got everything rescheduled after which I forgot about it and got on with life...

... until another wake up in Wizard mode event. At this point I bit the bullet and installed a new HDD ( Seagate SkyHawk 2TB Surveillance Hard Drive 3.5" 5400RPM 256MB Cache, £63 inc VAT from Ebuyer.co.uk), copied all my files and CF settings across, since when everything has functioned perfectly for the past 5 weeks. Early days, perhaps, but it seems to be happy enough.

For the record, this is it's 3rd disk, and the box is 13 years old now. I've not changed any capacitors, but I have vacuumed the dust out of the case and fan when changing drives. Reading these forums has made me mindful of the flash memory's limited lifespan, and I wondered if I was hitting this issue, but so far, so good.

My box went into 'Wizard Mode' again yesterday so I ran the system flush and will see how it goes. One thing that I noticed on the last 2 occasions was that new channels had appeared on the EPG, maybe a coincidence. I had to remove & re-install tunefix in order to get a list of channels. Before that the settings page for tunefix was blank.
Also, had to re-install Boot-Settings to get the boot channel to take effect so am guessing that there are some other packages that will need reinstalling.
Not a big deal but maybe useful info for someone else.

Last edited:
One thing that I noticed on the last 2 occasions was that new channels had appeared on the EPG, maybe a coincidence.
I too noticed that, but I don't know if this is correlation or causation! I've just checked my box, and it's quite happy today despite new channels appearing on the EPG

For what it's worth, I don't think that doing a system flush repeatedly is the right way to go as it's simply just reformatting the flash memory. Once should be enough. As Black Hole states, just running fix-flash should be enough to restore correct operation, and certainly worked for me several times. That said, my new HDD seems to have cured my box's problem, but I'm at a loss to know why. One issue pointing towards a HDD problem was the general sluggishness of the on-screen menu, with file moves particularly taking a long time. I also had a few zero length recordings for no apparent reason. My guess is that the drive was struggling with write retries (I could sometimes hear the drive chugging), and maybe (just maybe) the EPG update process doesn't allow for any tardiness? If the channel list is found to be messed up at boot time then it would seem appropriate to invoke the startup wizard, no?

Have you performed a fixdisk on your drive? If not then I'd suggest doing so, and if any errors are reported then at least you'll know that your drive is beginning to degrade. I didn't see/understand anything of note from the SMART diagnostics page, but found the fixdisk process to be far more informative.

Back