HDR will no longer go into standby

When switched on from cold the box powers up and stays delinquent, it has a lan connection and I have the remote scheduling package installed - the hdd keeps spinning and chattering periodically so its doing something but if I leave it then it will spin all day.

If I power it on, then off with remote or button on front it goes to standby properly.

In my experience that is normal behaviour for this box. Several people commented on it when redring first came out because the ring would stay blue following a cold power up and there was some debate about whether that was right (it was!).

My box is turned off at the wall at night -
If you are not already doing so, you should be placing the Humax in standby, using the Remote Control or front switch and waiting for the hard disk to spin down before turning off using the switch on the back, If you just remove mains power while the Humax is in the 'on' state, it won't be able to shut down 'nicely'. You would do the same with your desktop computer so that it shuts down properly.

If you are not already doing so, you should be placing the Humax in standby, using the Remote Control or front switch and waiting for the hard disk to spin down before turning off using the switch on the back, If you just remove mains power while the Humax is in the 'on' state, it won't be able to shut down 'nicely'. You would do the same with your desktop computer so that it shuts down properly.

Sorry should have clarified, its powered off once its gone into standby and hd has stopped

Hmm so wondering if I have solved the issue, I definitely had the delinquent after recordings problem before doing all the above

Regards

Damian

I don't follow. The delinquent state is defined by the HDD remaining on power when the HDR should be in standby.

Sorry let me try to be clearer

I have a hdr fox t 2 and keep finding the unit in standby but disk spinning, it can also be accessed via webif and says in standby (I have read thanks to help here this is known as delinquent mode).

Humax is set to allow aerial passthrough in standby (probably not related)

Our humax is shut down properly (true standby then power off) every night, I noticed since feb that in the morning the unit goes delinquent after power on - I turn it on then off with remote after powering on.

Also I have noticed, when unit is in true standby and set to record a programme at the end of the programme the box went delinquent, this is where I first joined this thread.

I do have rs package installed, and auto unprotect so I can play hd over dlna, built in dlna is enabled.

I have moved all videos to a subfolder under root (out of my videos)

I have disabled dlna and cleaned the database via webif

I'm pretty much out of ideas other than removing packages, I think the after recording is sorted but the issue from cold start remains

Is it a feature of the humax or a result of something I have installed ?

Regards

Damian

@Damian

If you are saying the disk spins after cold start until you warm start and return to standby, this is not the delinquent state. The delinquent state occurs when the disk does not stop spinning (ever) when going from on to standby.

I noticed since feb that in the morning the unit goes delinquent after power on - I turn it on then off with remote after powering on.
You have to remember that the unit wasn't designed to be powered down every day and that it isn't in a 'normal' mode unless it has been placed in standby from the on state, there some notes on the Half-awake state HERE

The procedure in post #13 of this discussion has fixed all my problems with Redring, Power on Channel (POC) and Humax never going into Standby. Found folder which would not copy, then drilled down to find the offending file within the folder which would not copy. Tried to delete the file without success but found that file would not play either. After trying to play the file deletion was allowed. Since then all is sweetness and light. Many thanks 4ndy.

I registered on this forum for the same reason : for days now my HDR Fox T2 won't click into proper standby.
I found the only immovable folder was [edit] [cut] [done] and located four separate immovable files.
By playing from the start I was able to move them to another folder, FTP to backup and then delete.
I now have proper standby back.

Any chance this "immovable files" were the consequence of having started them playing without letting them run to the end or pressing STOP? If so, that will be a useful observation of a cause of the delinquent half-awake state. This state can be useful, if a systematic way to get in and out of it can be devised.

In case you have not already, see Things Every... (click) section 18.

Those files were never played : they were all the result of nicesplice magic folders and this is the first time I've looked at them from within the Humax telly controller.
I've never had any trouble with playing files and stopping them.
I suspect (vaguely) it might have something to do with auto-decrypt which is set to decrypt all files being sent into [done] by nicesplice magic folders... however they were all decrypted sucessfully which I tested when I got them onto the compootah by FTP.

When I had the same problem it was an unplayable file. Using the remote control, I worked down my recordings list (folders , single recordings and [Deleted]) and pressed opt+ on each until I found a folder where move/copy was greyed out. I opened that folder and repeated the operation on each file until I found the corrupt file. I then deleted it, although it has been reported that moving the file works just as well.
Sorry to reopen an ancient thread, but noticed that my hdr was running constantly / in the permanent delinquent half-awake state. I got here after reading many threads. I tried this method and didn't work for my problem. Also had fix disk running for hours (tried fix disk twice).

Perhaps try looking for a zero length ts file:
Code:
find /media/My\ Video/ -name \*.ts -size 0c

I then wondered if it was the same as post #6 (above). I used

find /media/"My Video"/ -name \*.ts -size 0c

I based this on what was helpfully posted in post #14.

It located several TS files (zero length) some on a usb, and 2 on the hdr. Using telnet I deleted the 2 zero length TS files from my hdr and that resolved my problem. I am now able to fully shut down my hdr using the remote control.

Found the problem - it was caused by a zero length ts file with associated non-zero length nts and hmt files.
On my occasion only there were two zero length TS files ( one with associated zero length NTS and hmt and one with hmt and NTS files that weren't zero ). Deleting just the two TS problem files seems to have sorted it.

Incidentally both recordings occured around midnight and were part of a series recording. One of those series with the next recording coming immediately afterwards. I use padding on recordings.

Problem TS zero length file one :

One recording at midnight "*****01_0000.ts" (zero length) had its corresponding "*****01_0000.hmt" which was also zero length. This TS file was one of the two files deleted to cure the half-awake problem.

There was also "hmt" ; "*****01_0000(01).nts" ; "*****01_0000(01).thm" and "*****01_0000(01).ts" functioning. I can't say at which time the original hmt/TS file was formed but they must have been there when the box tried to save the recording and thus the *****01_0000(01). duplicate name chosen .

Problem TS zero length file two :
"**220719_0019.hmt" and "**220719_0019.hmt" were similar size (not zero). The corresponding .TS file of zero length was deleted.

Thanks to the forum. From these contributions I have been able to stop my hDR from running constantly and possibly over heating..... or worse

Any chance this "immovable files" were the consequence of having started them playing without letting them run to the end or pressing STOP? If so, that will be a useful observation of a cause of the delinquent half-awake state. This state can be useful, if a systematic way to get in and out of it can be devised.

In case you have not already, see Things Every... (click) section 18.
In one of my cases the fault may have occurred during recording of a series linked file. I recall stopping one recording live by using the options on the screen >>Menu>>Video>>[select recording in progress the one with the red circle before its name] and then pressing the [stop] button on the remote. Then removing the series from the schedule..

The problem with the "immovable files" was not the same as mine, that may have been when a file for some reason is read only. (I have seen this on the usb storage previously. )By moving the file out of My Video onto another area on the HDR and back changes/corrects the read/write permission.

If this happens again to anyone I would suggest a search for files that are zero length or that have are saved as read only and not read/write.

it strikes me it should be possible to add a WebIF diagnostic which scans for such things.
That would be good.

Maybe, this next query needs a new thread, but would the WebIf be able to monitor time in 'standby' and alert users that for example the HDD or fan have been running constantly for over 168 hours (7 days) ?

I don't know how long the HDR and fan was running, but constant use would not be good for either (or is that neither). {At least I got ''Fixdisk' right.}

I don't know how long the HDR and fan was running, but constant use would not be good for either (or is that neither).
Not so. Electronics lasts longer if never turned off, so as to minimise cycles of thermal expansion and contraction, motor start-up stress, voltage stress. The fan is easily replaced.

Back