HDR1800T won't connect to the internet despite LAN in

ithornton

Hello. Help and advice appreciated please.

Bought an HDR 1800T a couple of months ago. Crashes/becomes unresponsive (sometimes for days) and seems not to connect to the internet.

With the aerial plugged it works fine (all channels, records, playsback) until it crashes. It says the LAN is connected but it seems not to connect to the internet (no channels when LAN only, says no software updates pending, but also says it hasn’t been updated since the 2018 version). Have tried basic sensible things: power, factory setting, changing the LAN cable, plugging LAN cable directly into router – but no luck yet.

Any bright ideas?

Many thanks

Oh! I assumed it was TV by internet, but perhaps not?

My hypothesis was not connecting to internet > lack of software update > crashing, and I thought the lack of channels on LAN only was proof it wasnt connecting - but seems that is flawed thinking.

Thanks Martin

I assumed it was TV by internet
Units advertised as Freeview Play have catch-up facilities via their EPG, but I don't think the 1800T is one of those. The best you can expect is a "TV Portal" offering access BBC iPlayer (if you're lucky, and expect it to crash).

also says it hasn’t been updated since the 2018 version).
That is the latest software version.
The HDR-1800t was released in 2014 and was a more budget version of the HDR-2000T which in turn was a budget version of the 2010 released HDR-FOX T2 recorder.

Humax did surprise some with a software update for its HD_FOX T2 receiver 11 years after that model's launch, but an further updates for the HDR-1800T are unlikely.

Martin, Luke, BlackHole - thank you so much. My ageing parents bought this (I'm doing tech support) and I wouldn't be surprised if they bought the bottom rung model. Seems like it is working correctly/as expected - just crashes a lot!

Thanks again

I wouldn't be surprised if they bought the bottom rung model.
I wouldn't describe it as "bottom rung" just because it doesn't do catch-up. It's a PVR, it does PVR things.

just crashes a lot!
  1. Avoid having it connected to the home network, or turn off the DLNA server (Content Share = Off).

2. Back up or jettison any recorded content and perform a full "restore factory defaults" operation (including reformatting the HDD).

3. If it still crashes, remove the HDD and check its SMART data using a PC.

Oh! I assumed it was TV by internet, but perhaps not?
The HDR-1800T is primarily for recording TV received via an aerial but it also has BBC iPlayer which has had problems recently but there are reports that has been fixed.
Martin, Luke, BlackHole - thank you so much. My ageing parents bought this (I'm doing tech support) and I wouldn't be surprised if they bought the bottom rung model. Seems like it is working correctly/as expected - just crashes a lot!
It shouldn't be crashing a lot. Is there a particular action that causes the crashes? Where did they buy this? If it has a warranty then they should consider returning it or getting it exchanged.

Last edited:
The HDR-1800T is primarily for recording TV received via an aerial but it also has BBC iPlayer which has had problems recently but there are reports that has been fixed.

It shouldn't be crashing a lot. Is there a particular action that causes the crashes? Where did they buy this? If it has a warranty then they should consider returning it or getting it exchanged.
Thanks again all. Doesnt seem to be one thing that makes it crash, but will try the suggestions from BlackHole and then return it if they don't work

Back