Hello there

This is my trouble, I start researching and then wonder if I might need this or that. A graded 1TB from Humax Direct is only another £20, is there any other difference apart from the extra 500GB and is it worth it for that alone?

The only difference is the extra 500GB.

FWIW, I am not too keen on the Seagate HDD's. especially the 1TB fitted in the Hummy. I have also had bad experiences with them failing in my PC. I much prefer WD. Personal preference, I know, but just thought I would add my tuppence worth.

I recently purchased a brand new 1TB HDR T2 for JL. It is only 2 weeks old and has 88 reallocated sectors on it. Admittedly its not increased in a week, but still a poor show. I have also noticed that others with the 1TB model have issues which I believe can be attributed with the HDD.

My advice is get a graded or new 500GB from Humax. You can fit a new HDD yourself easy as pie, and remove the orange filter at the same time! Doing all this would invalidate your warranty though.

A word of caution if you have a new HDR and wish to install the custom firmware. It seems that the latest HDR boxes are being sent out with firmware version 1.03.06. This is fine as it stands. The problem is that the current CUSTOM FIRMWARE is currently NOT compatible with this version. Users have downgraded their new boxes to the official version 1.02.32 and this has cause major issues.
I'm playing catch up here but is this confirmed? It is conceivable that some of the newer boxes have different components (most likely the tuners) that would require updated firmware but the only case I remember reading was for a user that tried to load a CFW based on 1.02.32 onto a box which was previously running 1.03.06 without downgrading to official 1.02.32 first. I'm sure I've seen at least one report of a successful downgrade too.

As far as I am concerned yes. It's not bricked my box but I do get very random 'no signal or this program is scrambled' message. Others have also reported issues that appear to be tuner related after a downgrade to 1.02.32. I personally can't be more specific and I am waiting for 1.03.06 or greater before I use the box any more as I don't want to risk doing something I might regret.

I'm playing catch up here but is this confirmed? It is conceivable that some of the newer boxes have different components (most likely the tuners) that would require updated firmware but the only case I remember reading was for a user that tried to load a CFW based on 1.02.32 onto a box which was previously running 1.03.06 without downgrading to official 1.02.32 first. I'm sure I've seen at least one report of a successful downgrade too.
That was not my reading of it. Somebody tried installing .32 on a .06 machine and bricked it, then got a replacement and did the same thing.
Could you have installed the HDR cfw (v1.02.32) over the official firmware (1.03.06)?
Yes, I think I may have been guilty of that.

Anyways, sent that unit back and got a replacement.

The replacement had the updated firmware 1.03.06 as before so this time I was careful to flash the official firmware first 1.02.32 and guess what, lost all the channels and an auto search finds no channels , back to square one.

Not a happy bunny, got my graded HDR Fox-T2 500Gb t'was brilliant, the EPG is much better than an old Hummy I have, easy set up, good looking unit etc. Then I watched a recorded programme, lots of pixelating and jumping. Not to be discouraged I tried a few other recordings but alas the same problem.

Read up on here and came to the conclusion that it was probably a Hard Drive issue so contacted Humax Direct in order to return it and get a refund, after the 3rd e-mail I got a response offering either a pre-paid returns label which could be e-mailed to me or a courier collection, I replied that the e-mailed pre-paid returns label suited me fine, after 5 further e-mails I'm still awaiting my returns label or, for that matter, any contact whatsoever.

Back