Hello

chmknl

Hello to you all. I have been using a Humax T2 for many years. My background is science (biochemistry), but moved into IT and worked in a UK University till I retired recently. I have experience in various systems from "minicomputers" up to single chip processors (intel 8751) and the ubiquitous PIC. I have lots of Raspberry PIs round the house doing various things. My main systems all run Linux (Centos 7). I run a small "repo" and write RPMs so its easier to manage my systems. I do run Windows for some things but that's done as a virtual machine (qemu) on Centos.

Hi there and welcome to Hummy.
Do you have the HDR Fox T2 (there was also a 'non recording' HD Fox T2), and are you running the custom firmware on it? If not, you are missing out on a 'lot of stuff'.

Hi Trev,
Yep, been running the custom firmware for many years. Currently I have two Fox T2s with hard disc and two without. I keep a hot spare Fox T2 HDR as well! All have the custom firmware. The non HD humaxes have to have USB drives of course. They are all on my local LAN and I've installed the SAMBA server on them all so I can map drives to any of them from my Centos 7 PC.
After a recent update to one of my ones without the hard disc I found it could do software decryption, ie even without the DLNA trick to use hardware decryption. Thats how I found this forum, looking for information on stripts.
The software decryption is very slow on the humax, hence my interest in the version compiled for Linux X86_64. On my desktop Centos 7 box, decryption is about as fast as the hardware decryption.
C

:eek:

How the heck were you "into" the CF without being aware of the forum???

I probably came across the forum before. I've not needed help in using the CF before. Sure I've had problems, usually when upgrading just one component rather than full upgrade. I'm an experienced Linux guy who writes RPMs (similar to opkg) so know what to do.

The CF is great, makes the Humax a really useful box. I'm retired now and can have nice long holidays. I can log in to my humax from anywhere and get it to record stuff for me. Can decrypt and upload to me too for watching wherever I am.

I'm always surprised that Humax didn't do this to start with. Yes I know there would be "problems" with the encryption and the understandable reasons for it.

I've installed gcc on my humax(es) and have been able to compile my trusty editor, uemacs (MicroEmacs V3). Uemacs runs in a bash window and can be used in a remote ssh bash session.

C

I quoted the bit I was answering, the rest was not within scope. I wouldn't even consider uploading video at my baud rate!

Back