Help corrupted recordings?

I had an incident yesterday that is probably not the same as this thread, but symptoms were a bit similar, so I'm tacking it here rather than starting a new thread.

We were about half way through watching a 90 min SD recording from a previous day. There were two HD recordings currently running that had started about 20 mins before (it was about 2120). I noticed a moment of slight pixellation in the programme we were watching, which was unusual, but it passed. about 10 seconds later the picture and sound stopped and the 'unavailable/scrambled' scrambled message appeared. The box now appeared to be frozen - the play timer didn't advance and it wouldn't respond to the remote. After a couple of minutes I turned it off at the back for a few seconds and then back on. It restarted OK and I went to each of the channels that had been recording and started a manual recording for each. We then watched a different recording, not wanting to risk a repeat performance, and all was OK.

Today when there were no recordings running I went back into the 'faulty' programme and it was fine - no pixellation event, no freeze. This evening we watched it from about a minute before the crash point to the end and had no problems.

The box is a 1TB model, about 9 months old, has v29 firmware and a custom firmware (not sure but 2.14 I think), and the disc is about 20% full.

Should I be concerned? Is there a more elegant way out of this 'crash'? (eg. it's possible the recordings were continuing in the background, but powering off obviously killed them.)

I doubt they were recording by that time. I advise updating to the latest custom firmware (currently 2.17) which will reduce any processor load imposed by the custom processes, and check out the disk with the fix-disk option in maintenance mode.

I doubt they were recording by that time. I advise updating to the latest custom firmware (currently 2.17) which will reduce any processor load imposed by the custom processes, and check out the disk with the fix-disk option in maintenance mode.

OK. I've just notched it up to 2.17 on .32 (it was actually 2.15 on .29 before). Let us pray.

Help! I invoked telnet via putty (never used telnet before) to use the fix disc. Got the menu and chose 1. Box went into maintenance mode OK, but I can't get the telnet to connect again. I just get an empty session window (with a blinking cursor) which times out after a while and closes.

Edit: OK, I found some stuff in the Wiki - looks like I may not be able to WiFi it.

There have been some reports of wifi not coming up in maintenance mode. I've never been able to replicate it here and you're on the latest CFW so you'll have to use wired Ethernet I'm afraid. If you just want to get it back into normal mode then it is safe enough to turn off at the back for 10 seconds or so.

Thanks for that af. I'll dig out a cable and get the laptop on it sometime and try it again.

Unable to find any other advice on what to do when stuck in MM, after 30 mins or so I did reluctantly turn it off at the back. It came back 'normal', as far as I can tell - it's been working OK this evening anyway.

Managed to get a wired connection today, after some faffing with the box and laptop IP addresses. Ran the fix-disk option (1) which did a lot of stuff for about a half hour and said the file system had been modified a few times, but I couldn't see anything that said there was actually an error found. I can put the log up here if you want but it's quite long (72kB) and mainly % progress lines.

Back